Mom loved Krispy Kreme donuts,
so did my boss at work.
I didn’t get it ~ seemed to me ~ might as well
eat a cup of sugar.
Even mini chocolate chip calories can add up quickly. Recently, I was happy to discover Lily’s chocolate chips, a mere 50 calories per tablespoon.
They’re delicious chocolate chips, they’re sugar-free ~ you won’t be mistaking them for Girardelli’s or Hershey’s, but they are good, natural sweeteners, with that rich deep chocolate taste, and no bitterness. Health food stores sell Lily’s, as well as Whole Foods, and of course, Amazon.
I used Serve brown sugar in the dough, and confectioner’s sugar, mixed with water, and vanilla for the glaze. The taste of the glaze was OK, but I'd prefer a simple dusting of confectioner’s sugar the next time.
Baked donuts aren't the norm, and I’m not saying these have the same texture as the deep-fried version; nonetheless, these baked chocolate donuts are a tasty alternative, they will curb your sweet tooth, and they’re definitely easy to make.
![]() |
| Before... |
![]() |
| Voila! |
So... here’s to my second attempt at baking donuts ~ if you're like me, you can't resist cake donuts ~ these chocolate gems are packed with flavor, and fewer calories!
Eat one of these donuts, and you can have your chocolate, and eat it too, guilt free!
Easy Sugar-free Baked Chocolate Donuts
Yield: 6 donuts
Prep time: 8 MCook time: 15 MTotal time: 23 M
These chocolate donuts are baked, they’re easy to make, they taste great, they will curb your sweet tooth!
Ingredients:
- ½ cup flour
- ⅓ cup Swerve Brown Sugar Sweetener
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup Lily’s dark chocolate chips
Glaze (optional)
- ½ cup Swerve Confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
Instructions:
How to cook Easy Sugar-free Baked Chocolate Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a mediuml bowl, combine dry ingredients, flour through baking powder.
- In a small bowl, stir in egg, milk, butter and vanilla, combine well.
- Add chocolate chips, and stir.
- Coat a 6-donut pam with cooking spray.
- Spoon dough into donut pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let sit 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Top with drizzled glaze, if desired.
Enjoy!




Hi Pam, I've always liked cake style donuts and your chocolate chip version looks great. Given the Covid-19 situation my wife and I have started self isolation and one of our challenges is keeping our menu interesting. It does require some thought. Today is Day 3 for us... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteGood luck, Dave! It's a trying time for sure. Take care
DeleteI am going to monkey around with this recipe to try and ketofy it. Sounds delicious!
ReplyDeleteGreat Anne! Hope it works for you! Thanks!
DeleteYUMMY! I too prefer baked donuts..this sugar free version is definitely a keeper, Pam.
ReplyDeleteHi Angie! Baked is better calorie wise for sure. Take care
DeleteVery, very cool. For me, baking doughnuts is the norm but you know what? I never added mini chips to mine. Great idea. Love it. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteHi Ivy! Good for you. Hope you like it with the mini chips. Take care!!!
DeleteI could definitely eat a chocolate donut right now, but I'm not going out for the time being.
ReplyDeleteThe spammers are busy these days -- looks like you have one who posted here. They usually write nonsense in broken English.
best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Hi Mae! Yeah, I got rid of them! Donuts are awesome! Take care
DeleteI have GOT to get a donut pan! (I think I've mentioned that here before.) I am also ordering some of those chips! Thank you, Pam!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Debra! It's so easy to bake donuts, and they're pretty good! Like I said, the chips aren't the real thing, but they taste good anyway! Hope you like them! Thanks!
DeletePam, I just made these! OMG! DELICIOUS!!!!!! Thank you so much!
DeleteThat's great, Debra! Glad you like them too!!! Thanks for letting me know!
DeleteYeah, Krispy Kremes are way too sweet. These are sweet, but just enough. Wonderful recipe -- thanks.
ReplyDeleteHi John! Yes, with Krispy Kremes, and just wondering how they became so popular in the first place. 😊
DeleteYum now I want a donut!
ReplyDeleteM : )
I hear you, Melinda! Take care!
DeleteI haven't eaten a real donut in many years since I became gluten free. But I do remember they tasted mighty fine! I love the idea of your lower sugar version.. thanks and have a good week.
ReplyDeleteThanks, judee!
DeletePam, I'm with you as I never got the Krispy Kreme thing either. I just started playing with sugar-free and reduced sugar baking. Don't have a donuts pan, just might have to see if I can find one of those. And, I've yet to find an American type chocolate chip, but we've got some good dark chocolate that's mostly chocolate and low in sugar. So this one is calling my name.
ReplyDeleteHi Ron! Good luck with your baking! I'm sure there's plenty of really good chocolate your way! Take care
DeleteOMG, I could never resist these donuts Pam! I can't imagine how delicious they are when warm!!!
ReplyDeleteRoz
Hi Roz! They're pretty delicious. Thanks and take care
DeleteI'm a doughnut fan, but try to save my treats for really good ones. I've got a plan to get a doughnut at my favorite New York place when I can ride the subway again. May get some Lily's chips in the meantime. One of the local stores usually carries them. Take care!
ReplyDeleteHow clever to make your donuts sugar free. I do like hot cinnamon donuts - a guilty pleasure.
ReplyDelete