I remember the commercials on TV with the catchy little song way back when we’d visit Mom and Dad after they retired and moved back to Ohio:
“Bob Evans, down on the farm..."

That little tune was music to my ears many years ago as Bill, the boys and I were on one of our many road trips back to Baltimore, when we'd stop for breakfast at the Bob Evans Restaurant in Merrillville or on the return trip, pull over in Springfield to a Bob Evans Restaurant there: sausage and gravy biscuits, bacon, eggs, fried potatoes and my favorite, fried mush ... I miss those days, looking forward to being with Mom and Dad, but sad at leaving them, and Bob Evans!!!
This Southern classic is all about soft biscuits with sausage gravy flavored with black pepper spread over them.
Around the time of the American Revolutionary War (1775-1783), this dish appeared on the scene when food was in short supply, food riots broke out, frequently led by women who struggled to feed their families while the males of the family were off at war. Commodities ranging from sugar to bread to tea were scarce, with shopkeepers demanding exorbitant prices for their goods.
Hunger caused people to act in different ways during and after the war. Some folks were driven to eating food they knew might make them ill. Enslaved people and Indians fought their hungry appetites by stealing cattle and grain. Hunger was war also.
Born of frugality and out of necessity, biscuits and gravy became commonplace during the Revolutionary War. It supplied the demand for a hearty, high-calorie breakfast for hard-working folks who were scrounging up money.
The cook poured water or milk over the brown residue left behind in the bottom of the iron skillet once the meat was cooked and removed from the skillet, similar to today's method. Its purpose then was to expand the meal, to provide a larger meal than they would’ve otherwise eaten.
Biscuits were made from whatever fats they had available, commonly lard, drippings or butter, particularly if they owned a cow or two.
They were crunchy; hard tooth-breaking clumps of flour and water, but thankfully, those biscuits turned into the light and flaky tender biscuits made with baking powder that we enjoy today.
You’d be hard-pressed to not see sausage gravy and biscuits on a menu in the Southern United States. It’s not so much of an item on a menu here in our part of the Midwest, but we love biscuits too and gravy...
![]() |
| Clumps ~ crumble up more! |
![]() |
| More clumps, chop! |
Bill, and our sons also, really love sausage gravy and biscuits. I very rarely (almost never) make the dish, but I had a weak moment the other morning when I broke down and attempted the Bob Evans recipe...
I cooked and 'sort of' crumbled sausage in the skillet, drained it well, then added a little flour, milk and pepper to the mixture.
Meanwhile, biscuits were baking in the oven. Make your favorite homemade biscuits or do as I do: bake a roll of Grands Southern Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuits. Either way, this makes for a super simple mouthwatering breakfast that will please most anyone!
Bill thought the sausage could’ve been chopped up more (he was right!) based on the many breakfasts of sausage gravy and biscuits he’s eaten at Bob Evan’s in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. So wish they'd open a restaurant here in the Chicago area!
This stick-to-your-ribs sausage gravy recipe is quintessentially Bob Evans deliciousness, creamy homestyle sausage gravy over split warm buttermilk biscuits. Just be sure the sausage is really crumbly, and not in clumps, it does make a big difference.
Evidently, Southerners can’t get enough of biscuits and gravy as they celebrate with National Biscuits and Gravy Day three times a year; observed on February 21 and December 2, with National Biscuits and Gravy WEEK, the second week of September...
You can’t improve on perfection, this is a great recipe if you’re a sausage gravy and biscuit lover too!
Are you one of them?
Do you have a favorite restaurant or diner for breakfast?

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
Ingredients
- 1 pound Original Bob Evans Roll Sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 8 buttermilk biscuits (I use Grands Southern Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuits)
Method
Notes:
Recipe courtesy of Bob Evans Farms
Happy eating!





Look and sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Debby! Glad you like it! Take care
DeleteI have never had biscuits topped with sausage gravy. They look incredibly delicious.
ReplyDeleteIt's delicious, Angie! I don't remember ever seeing this on a menu in Germany, but it would be a good addition! 😉 Thanks, and take care
DeleteOh Yes....a definite breakfast or dinner dish, here in Texas. We have this dish quite often. For me, the more black pepper.....the better the dish.
ReplyDeleteHi Shug! Yep, perfect for dinner too! I will have to make it more often now. And woo hoo! too the black pepper, I agree! Take care
DeleteBiscuits and gravy are a staple here. Believe it or not it is such a staple I even make a keto version occasionally on the weekend . I feel kind of sorry for anyone who has never experienced it..
ReplyDeleteHi Anne! I'm sure it's a staple down your way, and good for you with the keto! Ha, sorry for those also. Everyone should try it! 😉 Take care
DeleteI love sausage gravy and biscuits and could eat it every day but rarely have it due to the calories. Your version looks great with lots of sausage - just the way I like it.
ReplyDeleteHi Larry! Yes, I know you like it and with a egg on top too, just the way Bill thinks it should be! Lots of sausage is a good thing. Thanks!
DeleteHi Pam, I'm with Bill and Larry! Sausage gravy on biscuits with an egg on top! I love all the sausage you had in your gravy... We love Bob Evans sausage and gravy too...but the nearest Bob Evans restaurant is 5 hours from our home. We're lazy so we do take out or order in at a local restaurant known as Mama's Grits. They actually have better sausage and gravy than Bob Evans! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteHi Dave! You're all in the same group for sure! I made sure there was a lot of sausage in it for Bill. Here, the Brunch Café in Fox River Grove has pretty good sausage gravy and biscuits according to Bill. Your Mama's Grits sounds like a winner! Have a good rest of the week!
DeleteHi, Pam! While I have made sausage gravy and biscuits many times, I have never eaten it! I prefer my biscuits not to be covered with gravy since I’m not a huge gravy fan. Husband, sons-in-law, even granddaughter all gobble it up, and I make it for them on special occasions. I rarely made it when the girls were still growing up at home; guess that’s why they aren’t huge fans, either. When I was growing up, we seemed to prefer butter and jam/jelly/honey on our biscuits.
ReplyDeleteHi Nellie! I know what you mean. I like this dish, but like gravy more than sausage. So, I like butter and honey on my biscuits too. I can't remember my mom ever making this but I'm sure she liked it as she loved sausage so I really never had it growing up, didn't try it until years later but Bill and the boys love it. Good thing we're not all the same, I guess! Take care
DeleteOn the brunch menu at the restaurant where we ate in Charlottesville, VA, last weekend, I noticed biscuits and gravy and thought about how we really had to be in the South. It was a very eclectic menu, and in fact, the item I ordered was native to Georgia: not the state of Georgia in America, but the one that used to be Russian!
ReplyDeletebe safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Hi Mae! Yes, that's a sure sign you're in the South! You probably see it even less on menus out your way than we do. Sounds like an interesting menu and am curious about the item you ordered. Thanks, and have a good rest of the week!
DeleteNo finer breakfast food exists!
ReplyDeleteHi Son! You definitely are an expert on this subject, just like your dad. I will have to make it some time soon when you're over for breakfast. Love you
DeleteLOVE biscuits and gravy! Don't make it very often because it's SO filling. In fact it's more a dinner dish than a breakfast dish for us. Your version looks terrific -- thanks.
ReplyDeleteThanks, John! It is filling for sure. I'm a breakfast lover but this works for any meal, any time of the day. Take care
DeleteI'm familiar only with sausages. There are many kinds, and I like them all with potatoes, with sauerkraut etc..
ReplyDeleteI'll have to try your biscuit and gravy sausage , as it looks and sounds delicious!
Thanks,Duta! Hope you like it. Take care
ReplyDeleteSomething I've never had! I can't imagine it would be anything but delicious. What great memories!!
ReplyDeleteThe guys here definitely like it! It just brings back good memories, the restaurant and Ohio and all. Thanks, Susan and take care
Delete