Dolly Parton and Her Casserole

                                                 

She's a country music singer, guitarist, philanthropist, and actress known for pioneering the country-pop crossover.

 



 


But, what you may not know is that she has 

awesome culinary skills too!




Dolly ~ 2019 Grammy's
 

She believes in the power of dreams — and the hard work it takes to make them happen.

 

Maybe I'm a foodie, but what I truly am is a "music junkie" with close to 14,000 songs in my music library.  I love music ~ about any kind:  pop, reggae, rock and roll, jazz, gospel, country ~ anything but hip-hop. Dolly Parton is one of my fave singers.

I admire Dolly because she's folksy, but not afraid to speak her mind, she's self-deprecating and has a quick wit, she's a savvy businesswoman.  Dolly is grace personified, she's smart ~ no dumb blonde ~ as she puts it:  “I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb, and I know I'm not blonde." 

By many accounts, she's probably one of the nicest people around.  She's a blaze of glitter, grit and pure love.

Above all, she's about her music...

 

This is all about Dolly Rebecca Parton, born January 19, 1946, you know her by the high-soprano vibrato twang of her voice, her platinum cascading wigs, her gaudy attire, her chatty friendliness, and her decades-long career in the music industry as a singer and composer.  

 



She holds two Guinness World Records:  Dolly is the only country artist who can say that she has had a Top 20 hit on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart for six consecutive decades.  On the same day, she wrote two of the worlds' most beloved songs, "I Will Always Love You" and "Jolene."  

 

 

 

I love both songs, but then there's "Islands in the Stream" with Kenny Rogers, that's my fave!




 
Dolly is also the author of a variety of books, an actress (remember "Nine to Five?").  She plays numerous musical instruments, such as the harp, banjo, drums, guitar, dulcimer, saxophone, fiddle, pennywhistle and more, she also prays and thanks God for another day, and is a great humanitarian...  

 

 

Philanthropy has played a major role in her life, particularly in her home state of Tennessee.

 

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, Ms. Parton, 75, received a Moderna shot at Vanderbilt Health in Tennessee. “Dolly gets a dose of her own medicine,” she wrote on Twitter.

Back in November, she donated $1 million to Vanderbilt University Medical Center.  Her contribution, known as the Dolly Parton Covid-19 Research Fund, helped fund the Moderna vaccine research.  

A professor of pathology, microbiology and immunology, Dr. Mark Denison, stated it was Ms. Parton’s money that funded the “critical” early stages of the research.  Dr. Denison said, “Her money helped us develop the test that we used to first show that the Moderna vaccine was giving people a good immune response that would protect them.

 

On March 2nd, Dr. Naji Abumrad of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center, administered a dose of the Moderna vaccine to Parton, who was wearing a sweater with shoulder cutouts for the occasion. The two have grown close since 2013 when Dolly was admitted to the ER following a car accident.

Dolly said, “I'm a very proud girl today to know I had anything at all to do with something that’s going to help us through this crazy pandemic.”   

 

And then there's this ~

 

 Dollywood

Pigeon Forge, TN

Just how many people do you know who own their own theme park?

 

 



 

On to the food...

I was intrigued with this recipe that has been floating around the internet lately and am happy to share it now.  Also, happy to say that it doesn’t list a can of condensed cream of anything soup in the ingredients.  This dish is creamy, cheesy just as it is...

This is Dolly Parton’s recipe.  The country-pop-music mega-star has reiterated many times how she loves cooking and food and sharing recipes.  

 


She has been in the spotlight for the majority of her life, but when she’s not singing on stage or traveling, she still loves being at home and cooking for her husband of 55 years, Carl Dean, and family.


                              

Her cooking philosophy goes, “It’s the food from this Mom and Pop joints that welcome you in as if you’re family.  We really just want food that is lovingly made and joyfully served up.  Around here, that’s what we call Dixie Fixin’s."

However, I doubt if she'd consume more than a bite or two of this casserole --- just judging by the way she looks.  😉

There are satisfying flavors in this dish, some ground meat and some simple vegetables, making for easy preparation and good ol' down-home food that takes us back to our mothers' or grandmothers' table.  

 



 

Begin with a layer of sliced potatoes, add on top a layer of browned ground beef.  I slightly adapted the recipe by adding a half-pound of Italian sausage to the beef, plus a little garlic powder.  

 


 

Top the meat mixture with a layer of sliced onions, and top them with diced tomatoes, or sliced fresh ones.  For the last layer, scatter chunks of green or red peppers.  As you're adding each layer be sure to add seasoning, a little salt and pepper to each layer and then bake it low and slow for 2 hours.  

 


Flavors combine during the baking in a great way for a tasty dinner.  It's nothing fancy, just good ol' down-home food!

 

Kudos to Dolly Parton!

 

Servings: 6
Dolly Parton Casserole

Dolly Parton Casserole
 
This is Dolly Parton’s recipe. The country-music mega-star has reiterated many times how she loves cooking and food and sharing recipes, this is a delicious example!
Prep time: 30 MinCooking time: 2 HourTotal time: 2 H & 30 M

Ingredients

  • 3 large, unpeeled potatoes (any type) washed and sliced thin
  • 1 lb. extra lean ground beef, browned and crumbled
  • 1/2 pound Italian sausage, browned and crumbled*
  • 2 large onions, sliced, rings separated
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder*
  • 1 (15 ounces) can diced tomatoes
  • 1-1/2 green bell peppers, cut into big chunks
  • Salt and seasoned pepper, to taste
  • Olive oil or melted butter, for drizzling

Method

Notes:

*My adapted version: I added a half-pound Italian sausage to the skillet of ground beef, and added garlic powder.

Created using The Recipes Generator

 

Dolly, 1964---18 years old
Dolly, 1955, almost 10 years old

 


 

 

 

 

 

 Enjoy!

 

 

35 comments:

  1. She is a great singer and a very intelligent lady! I wonder if she eats the casserole at all. LOL...it looks hearty and delicious...truly best comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie! She is! Yes, I'm wondering too... Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Pam! What a wonderful post! Dolly Parton has made a real difference in the lives of so many....not just those from her native Sevier County! Her Imagination Library has provided books to countless children through the years. I will be trying this casserole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nellie! Yes, you're so right! I have read a lot about Her Imagination Library and did mean to include it here, but forgot. She is quite a lady who has done so much good over the years! Thanks and take care

      Delete
  4. I thank you for the recipe. I am sure there is someone somewhere who can't stand Dolly. I feel sorry fro their misguided soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm sure there are those, I feel sorry for their misguided souls also. Thanks, Anne! Take care

      Delete
  5. Pam, When I was growing up, I think that we had a casserole of one type or another almost every week. We rarely make them now. Where we live in East Tennessee, its rare that a week goes by without seeing Dolly in the news. All of our local TV anchors have interviewed here. She is a local hero here for sure...just based on the economic impact she's had in the area. Couldn't be a nicer person either! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Dave! She's the best and there's no doubt in my mind that her name is in the news often.
      I get you with the casseroles, there were a rare thing on the dinner table as I was growing up, but this winter I've been making a lot of them to share with some others through the pandemic, a good way to have a meal with meat and veggies. Here's to Dolly! Thanks, stay safe and take care too!

      Delete
  6. Good music goes well with good food. Dolly represents both, and your post is a fine tribute to her.
    The casserole is a rich dish which she probably makes for her husband OF 55 years. She only takes a bite or two, if she wants to keep her slim figure.
    Great pictures of Dolly and of the casserole! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duta! Glad you liked it! Dolly is a great asset to the music industry as well as to her community and all the good she does everywhere! Take care

      Delete
  7. This sounds very flavorful I am sure my crowd here would devour it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great bio — I learned several things about Dolly and her accomplishments. I was really impressed by her contribution to the vaccine. Were you thinking of my comments when you mentioned no cream-of-anything soup?

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae! Yep, you came to mind for sure! I've said it before and will probably say it again about the soup. 😉 Dolly's one of a kind! Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  9. Dolly is such a great entertainer and she seems to be so genuine in her love for people. I certainly enjoyed this post about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shug! She is great, seems very down to earth to me. Glad you like the post, thanks! Take care

      Delete
  10. Living about an hour from Sevier County, it's hard not to be a Dolly fan and my three kids all worked at Dollywood. This casserole is right in my wheel house as I prefer "good ol' down-home food." We just had pinto beans, cornbread, and fried potatoes the other night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo, Larry! Lucky you being so close to DW, and your kids working there! Your pinto beans, cornbread and fried potatoes sounds like the perfect meal to me! Yum! Take care

      Delete
  11. Love Dolly's voice! Such a great person. And this is a fun recipe -- good down home food. My kind! :-) Really fun post -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! She does have a great voice and I'd love to see her in person. Good down home food works for me! Take care

      Delete
  12. What a great post, I love Dolly Parton’s music. She is such an individual lady and I admire her for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerlinde! Yes, I agree with you about Dolly! She does it her way! Take care

      Delete
  13. I loved reading about Dolly, Pam! I’ve been listening to her for so many years now. The casserole sounds really good! Thanks for trying the recipe and sharing with us. Thanks for visiting my blog, too. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitty! Glad you enjoyed this! She's great to list to. Thanks and have a good day!

      Delete
  14. I grew up listening to Dolly. This casserole sounds delicious, nice and hearty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn! Yes, I've always liked her, think she is one unique lady! Take care

      Delete
  15. What an interesting post and I knew almost none of this though I did at least know who she was :-) Interesting casserole. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! She's a pretty great, lady! Take care

      Delete
  16. I loved learning more about Dolly. I really like her too. I also love many genre's of music ~ you never know what you'll hear coming from my playlist!
    That casserole is probably pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie! I'm with you on the music, love it! Have a good week ahead!

      Delete
  17. I love this meal, looks so yummy! I know Dolly and who she is, but I haven't really listen to much of her music, I should change that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalia! I get that with Dolly, probably don't hear her much your way. Hope you get to though. Take care

      Delete
  18. What a great story! I didn't know that about her contribution to the vaccine program and her casserole sounds like the perfect comfort food she would have grown up with.

    ReplyDelete

🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

The trouble is, you cannot grow just one zucchini. Minutes after you plant a single seed, hundreds of zucchini will barge out of the ground and sprawl around the garden, menacing the other vegetables. At night, you will be able to hear the ground quake as more and more zucchinis erupt.
~ Dave Barry

🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.

Keep smiling!
Pam



You know,

nobody can ever

cook as good as

your Mama.

~ Paula Deen


You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook
You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook

DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

Total Pageviews

09 10