Irish Apple Cake for St. Paddy's Day!

 

The sweet juicy apples nestled in the 

delicious cake 

made a big hit here!

 


 

That awesome crumbly struesel topping makes the cake a glorious treat to enjoy with a "cuppa" to soothe your nerves any time!



 
 

 

Honey Crisp apple slices are layered on top of the prepared cake batter and then covered with a homemade streusel topping of bits of butter cut into the flour, cinnamon, oats, and sugar mixture.  


 



It seems more like a coffee cake to me, or closer to a quick bread, but it has the perfect touch of sweetness and it looks good too with it’s crackled streusel topping; but, no matter, it’s a tasty wonderful treat!  

 

 


 

This recipe from here is slightly adapted; the original recipe calls for Granny Smith apples.  I substituted Honeycrisp as to me the apples have the perfect mix of tart and sweet, while Granny Smith apples are on the tart side.  The Honeycrisps bake up tender and juicy, perfect for baking as well as snacking.  I also swapped Swerve sugar replacement for half of the sugar listed.  Then I added a little cinnamon to the streusel.  Salted butter is recommended for the cake.

 
 




 

I’m trying to arrive at a reason it’s called an  “Irish” apple cake.  I could find no historical explanation ~ perhaps it’s a traditional dessert found in Irish cuisine.  I’m hoping one of you will know and tell me…  

 

 

 

Serve it topped with a custard sauce, whipped cream, ice cream, or nothing—like we enjoy it.

 

 

 


 

Maybe a splash of good Irish whiskey should be added to the batter.  😉

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s a fantastic moist apple dessert for St. Patrick's Day or any time of the year, it’s truly delicious, and we loved it!

 

 

I will totally be making this again!!!

 

 

Enjoy!
 

 

Irish Apple Cake

Irish Apple Cake

Servings: 8
Prep time: 30 MinCooking time: 60 MinTotal time: 1 H & 30 M
This is a cake with apples nested in a delicious cake, perfect for St. Patrick's Day, or any day of the year!

Ingredients

FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING
  • 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, plus more for the pan
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used half Swerve)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
FOR THE CAKE
  • 1 stick salted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used half Swerve)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 3 Honeycrisp apples, peeled and thinly sliced
  • Confectioner's sugar for dusting

Method

    Notes:

    This is a slightly adapted recipe from Emma's Bigger Bolder Baking.


    Salted butter is recommended for this cake. Gemma says, "That little bit of extra flavor really makes a difference.

    Created using The Recipes Generator

     

     


     


     

     




    30 comments:

    1. Oh yum, your cake does sound good and a little custard sauce...yes, that would be great. 😊

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks, Karen! It is! The custard sauce would be great! Thanks for the visit!

      ReplyDelete
    3. That sounds amazing. I have to go to the dentist on St Paddy's day, not sure, but think this may have to wait!! Hope all is well Diane

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Diane! It's a good cake for the day! Good luck with the dentist! Take care

        Delete
    4. Dear Pam I really love all apples cakes are delicious !! hugs

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Gloria! I love them too! Hugs to you!

        Delete
    5. that cake is loaded with my favorite, I will make this all year long for sure but it sure is pretty for St Patricks Day!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Claudia! Yep, good any time! Take care

        Delete
    6. I can't resist anything with streusel...the crispy buttery heaven!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Me too, Angie! Heavenly for sure! Thanks and take care.

        Delete
    7. Apple in its raw, fresh form is not my favorite fruit. However, I find any bake with apples irresistible. Your Irish apple cake looks and sounds like that - highly delicious and irresistible.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Duta! I love apples too, great flavor and good for you. And this cake is good filled with them. Take care

        Delete
    8. Yummo - this looks fabulous! My kind of cake.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Cakelaw! My kind of cake also. Take care

        Delete
    9. I just bookmarked this for a non keto day. It looks wonderful and now I am salivating!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Anne! It's wonderful for sure. Hope you try it. Take care

        Delete
    10. Pam, Your Irish Apple Cake looks and sounds great. Streusel makes any sweet baked item better too... I think that I'd like this warm and just straight up. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Dave! Warm and straight up is good, it's really delicious warm. Thanks and take care.

        Delete
    11. I agree with you that it's curious to call this "Irish" apple cake. But I looked for the recipe in other online sources and found many versions -- the only explanation is that it's an Irish farmhouse favorite in apple season. It doesn't look that different from other European and American apple cakes, but it looks delicious.

      be well...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Mae! That makes sense since it is so delicious! And it's definitely a fave with most people, although I do have a friend who can't eat anything with apples. About any version would work for me. Take care

        Delete
    12. It is the season to label everything Irish. :) I would call this a coffee cake too. It looks delicious. I only have two apples in the bowl. I might have to try to make it work anyway. Thanks, Pam!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Debra! That's right on spot too! :) Yes, it's definitely coffee cake to me. You need to get a couple of more apples! Hope you like it! Take care

        Delete
    13. Oh lawd Pam... that looks amazing ... and I am really working hard on my summer body. hahaha. I'm about to crash.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ha! Hi Leslie! Just eat it sliver by sliver! 😉 Good luck with your summer body! take care

        Delete
    14. I second the motion to add a splash of Irish whiskey to the batter! :-) This looks good -- and I happen to have some Honeycrisp apples on hand. I agree they're a better choice than Granny Smiths (which I don't much like, actually). Really nice recipe -- thanks.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi John! Great, I think the addition would work! Once I tried Honeycrisp, I never went back to Granny Smith! Honeycrisp apples are great, raw or cooked! Thanks and take care

        Delete
    15. Such a wonderful looking apple cake recipe and so easy to convert to gluten-free. Keeping this recipe .. thanks

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Judee! Glad you like it. Take care

        Delete
    16. I made an Irish Apple cake, too, Pam, and it was very much like this. I loved it! ☘️

      ReplyDelete
    17. There is nothing better than apple cake! I'll bet it would be even more tasty with a splash of some hard Irish apple cider. :)

      ReplyDelete

    🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

    The trouble is, you cannot grow just one zucchini. Minutes after you plant a single seed, hundreds of zucchini will barge out of the ground and sprawl around the garden, menacing the other vegetables. At night, you will be able to hear the ground quake as more and more zucchinis erupt.
    ~ Dave Barry

    🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

    Hi!
    I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.

    Keep smiling!
    Pam



    You know,

    nobody can ever

    cook as good as

    your Mama.

    ~ Paula Deen


    You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook
    You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook

    DINNER PARTY

    DINNER PARTY
    Jules-Alexandre Grun

    ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

    ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

    Total Pageviews

    09 10