If you’re hooked on Mexican-inspired flavors and shrimp, I’ve got the perfect dish for your dinner!
You may think this casserole that's loaded with shrimp, tortillas, corn, and green salsa is a bit strange with its mix of ingredients, but it’s truly delicious.
I’ve been making my share of casseroles through the pandemic to give to some others for a quick easy dinner. We’re getting close to grilling season and no more casseroles, with the exception of this one that I will definitely be making again soon...
The original recipe calls for 4 teaspoons of dried cilantro, crushed, add it if you like...
I’m not a “picky eater” but I belong to the “I Hate Cilantro” club. It’s not only about the taste, but the herb’s soapy smell as well.
I agree with the way Julia Child, an avowed cilantro hater, explained it, “I would just pick it out and throw it on the floor."
![]() |
| Coriander seeds ~ Cilantro leaves ~ Photo credit: Britannica |
The fresh leaves of the herb is cilantro, while the dry fruits are coriander seeds; all part of the parsley family. Coriander seeds have a citrusy sweet lemon flavor when crushed. I've used the seeds in my homemade pickles, and the ground seeds in cakes and pastry. Cilantro leaves do not make it into this house...
What’s your take on cilantro, is it a yea or nay?
As for this slightly adapted recipe from Midwest Living: The casserole is packed with flavors that surprisingly complement the shrimp in a wonderful way ~ a great make-ahead meal after a busy day.
If
you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, it’s almost better after the
ingredients have mingled for a while in the refrigerator.
Like I said, if you’re hooked on Mexican-inspired flavors and shrimp, this is a "must try” ~ it’s delicious!!!

FIESTA TOTILLA-SHRIMP CASSEROLE
Ingredients
- 6 six-inches corn tortillas
- 1 cup green salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen peeled and deveined cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Chihuahua cheese or farmer cheese (4 ounces)
- Chives, parsley, sour cream, or chopped tomato for garnish (optional)
Method
Notes:
Recipe source: Midwest Living
(Slightly adapted)
¡Buen provecho!




A big YES to cilantro! The more, the merrier :-) The casserole looks comforting and very tasty.
ReplyDeleteHi Angie! Yes, and there are a lot of you out there! The casserole is great! Take care
DeleteAnother big yes to cilantro, but I obviously don't carry the gene that makes it taste like soap (My middle son does)
ReplyDeleteI am going to ketofy this recipe for next week.
It sounds delicious!
Another yes! Funny, it tastes just like soap to some of us. This could be ketofied for sure. We all really liked it! Thanks, Anne, and have a good week!
DeleteI love the corn chips in this and my husband is big on Mexican food sounds like a good meal
ReplyDeleteThanks, Claudia! Take care
DeleteI love mexican tortillas; use them, and eat them often. I don't eat shrimps though (and pork) but the casserole on your plate looks very inviting!
ReplyDeleteGreat, Duta! Bet this would be good with chicken also, tortillas are awesome! Thanks!
DeletePam, Cilantro is OK by us... Love this casserole, simple and satisfying! Definitely something that we will try. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteHi Dave! It's a great dish filled with good flavors! I'm definitely in the minority with cilantro I'm guessing. Thanks for the visit!
DeletePam love this, what delicious casserole, love it!!!
ReplyDeleteHave a nice week
Thanks, Gloria! We really liked it! Have a good rest of the week!
DeleteThis looks really tasty Pam and I'm on the other end of the cilantro spectrum from you.
ReplyDeleteHi Larry! This is really a tasty dish. Most people agree with you on the cilantro! Thanks!
DeleteI'm a cilantro lover. But it takes all of us to make the world go 'round, doesn't it? :-) This looks wonderful -- whole lotta flavor. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThanks, John! Yes, it's a good thing we're not all alike, it would be a sad world. :-) Yes, this is good! Take care
DeleteOh my goodness...this looks better than delicious. I would gladly eat this dish. As for Cilantro...I LOVE it. My family doesn't, but I am a big fan of the dish soap herb.. Have a great week
ReplyDeleteHa! Love your "dish soap herb!" Glad you like it all, Shug! Thanks and take care.
DeleteWhat a flavorful and delicious dish this is, Pam! My family would enjoy it a lot.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Amy! Glad you like it! Take care
DeleteI would so love to make this, Pam! It sounds wonderful! I do like cilantro, but I know people that really don’t like it. I have one of my sons living with me and he is on the hate cilantro camp, so I’ll leave it out.
ReplyDeleteHi Kitty! It's really good, hope you give it a go. You're a good mom to leave it out for your son. Have a good weekend!
DeleteDid you get my sausage email?
ReplyDeleteI used to hate cilantro too, then all of a sudden, I started liking it!! What a flavorful dish!
ReplyDeleteSuch a yummy dinner!
ReplyDeleteI love the sound of your casserole and would definitely add a handful of chopped cilantro on top. 😊
ReplyDeleteThis is on my list for next week. I had shrimp tacos last month and they were delicious. This looks like the same mix of flavors. Happy Easter!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds amazing Pam! Happy Easter.
ReplyDelete