It's Springtime Pasta Bake

 

Here’s a delicious veggie-loaded pasta bake that's perfect for a springtime meal!  

 

Delicious!

It’s a great dish for the nights you want to go meatless.

 

I love versatile veggie dishes and made a meal of this ~ Bill was looking for meat with it, like chicken, which I served with the bake.

This is one of Alex Guarnaschelli’s recipes, which she evidently cooked on the "Today show."  I missed that but came across her recipe later.

I’m not sure, maybe it’s different where she resides, but zucchini and tomatoes are definitely not fresh "Spring" veggies in this neck of the woods, they're more like early to mid-summer fresh produce items here.

We were discussing this very topic over Sunday breakfast with Bubba, how it's considerably different now with produce --- do you remember back in the day, or remember hearing your grandparents discussing when fresh produce was only available "in season?"  

 

 

We ate what was available from the garden, rhubarb, spinach, salad greens and onions in the spring.  Strawberries only in May, early June for 2 or 3 weeks.  

Then we ready for tomatoes, green beans, sweet corn, cucumbers, cherries, blackberries, peaches, melons, summer squash and watermelon in summer.  

We looked forward to picking fresh apples in the fall, and during winter ordered oranges and grapefruit from Florida, they were heavenly!


In today's food economy, seasonality seems passe; most of us have bought into the fallacy that seasons no longer matter when we shop for food.  Our grocery stores have in a myriad of ways provided us with food from all across the U.S. even across oceans to ensure that we have a year-round supply of whatever produce we love.

 

 

Bill and I still like to shop "in season" at farmers' markets and farm stands for the freshest vegetables and luscious fruits.  We're lucky to have an abundance of farms with road-side stands and farmers' markets here in the Midwest; however, it will be another 2 or 3 weeks before they're open here.


 Regarding the recipe, start by simply filling a blender with sautéed celery, onions and garlic, then blend with tomatoes, water and a tad of sugar for a great sauce, it’s truly delicious!

 

 

In a large bowl, combine the tomato mixture and remaining vegetables, along with cooked pasta, pour into a baking dish and spread lots of cheese, and bake until there's a bubbly top.  

This simple pasta dish uses a combination of the earliest vegetables available in spring ~ asparagus, celery and onions.  The zucchini in the store was very small and not the best, I swapped it for yellow squash.  

Use the pasta you like:  rigatoni, shells or penne.  And include veggies you prefer, maybe snow peas, snap peas, green beans, whatever, your choice...

About anything goes with this dish, the veggies and cheeses you favor.

 

It makes for a tasty dinner or side dish...

The sauce is like icing on the cake!

 

 

 

 

 

15 comments:

  1. I ate a lot of pasta(meatless)during winter, and now I have to deal with the consequences (losing some pounds).
    I like your display of veggies and fruit, and fully agree with you about 'seasonality'.
    The main thing is to have abundance, not to experience famine. Diseases (corona) and wars might cause shortage of products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duta! Yes, pasta and other carbs aren't friendly, but they sure taste good. Sometimes, I wish it was still like the seasonal foods were back then, always looked forward to what is available the next season. You're right on spot about abundance and diseases, etc. Take care and have a good day!

      Delete
  2. this looks great I love primavera pasta we make it often

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Claudia! I know yours is delicious! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. That's why I am trying (not easy though) to buy just local. In supermarkets you see all sorts of veggies from all over the world. The concept of seasonal produce is so different now. Your pasta bake looks filling, delicious and comforting, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie! Yes, I try to buy local too. Yes, our stores are packed with all sorts of veggies too from everywhere. Have a good day!

      Delete
  4. We try to buy locally produced veggies whenever we can. And although we do buy "imported" veggies during the cooler months, always look forward to fresh spring produce. Anyway, this is a wonderful looking dish -- loads of fresh flavor. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John! Yes, spring is a great time with fresh produce becoming available. This dish is really good, thanks!

      Delete
  5. Pam, I'm with Bill! Meat and more meat... Still, as a healthy side dish this recipe works. Our local farmer's markets are open here...with the Mennonite's opening their 3 markets about a month ago. They start everything under plastic or in a greenhouse setting. This year they did have to cover their early crops because of late crops. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave! Yes, it isn't a meal if it's veggies, etc only. Bet your Mennonite markets are great, lots of good things there. Weather is a huge factor for sure. Take care

      Delete
  6. I seldom cook pasta but Nigel always cooks it when I take a day off from the kitchen, I will give this to him so he can experiment, thanks. I hope all is well with you two, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! I don't cook a lot of pasta, but really like it! Good that Nigel cooks too! 😉 Thanks, hope all is well with you two also. Take care

      Delete
  7. Looks really good Pam and I know we would enjoy it - Bev is the one to want meat in our family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Larry! It isn't a meal for Bill if there's no meat and it sounds like Bev is the same! I like it but like meatless meals also. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  8. What a delicious pasta dish! I love all of those veggies and the east of baking. I love going to our local farmers' market in the summer for all the local produce.

    ReplyDelete

🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

The trouble is, you cannot grow just one zucchini. Minutes after you plant a single seed, hundreds of zucchini will barge out of the ground and sprawl around the garden, menacing the other vegetables. At night, you will be able to hear the ground quake as more and more zucchinis erupt.
~ Dave Barry

🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.

Keep smiling!
Pam



You know,

nobody can ever

cook as good as

your Mama.

~ Paula Deen


You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook
You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook

DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

Total Pageviews

09 10