Salmon is my favorite fish and I’m always watching for another good salmon recipe.
We enjoy it frequently and I was
more than happy with this recipe!
The smooth caper sauce is an easy one to make that’s filled with great flavor that complements the salmon perfectly. In fact, it would probably be great with any white fish, a good way to add something special to the fish.
I first saw the recipe here on Big Dude’s Eclectic Rambilings. I adapted the recipe slightly to suit our tastes:
I substituted grated orange peel for the zest, about the same thing more or less.
The sauce called for plain Greek yogurt, I replaced it with half light sour cream, and half mayonnaise.
Add cilantro if you like, it is forbidden here; I had parsley on hand and used it.
Other than that, it’s the same recipe!
Served it with rice and steamed asparagus or your fave sides.
I raved over it!
Bill loved the flavor of the salmon ~ this will definitely be on the salmon rotation here!
It could not have been any easier to make and the results were fantastic with the awesome smooth creamy caper sauce accompanying the salmon.
Now I’m looking forward to cooking it on the grill once grilling season begins here...
If you love salmon, this is for you to try.
Bet it’s a keeper for you too...
It’s really outstanding!

Orange Roasted Salmon with Caper Sauce
Ingredients
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 (6 oz. each), salmon fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1-1/2 tablespoons capers, drained, rinsed, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
Method
Notes:
- *Per Bon Appétit:
- The easiest way to see if your salmon has finished cooking is to gently press down on the top of the fillet with a fork or your finger. If the flesh of the salmon flakes—meaning, it separates easily along the white lines that run across the fillet (strips of fish fat)—it’s finished cooking. Take it off of the heat! Do it! Now! If you cook the salmon any further it will dry out and crumble when you cut into it. Salmon cooked to medium flakes gracefully.
Enjoy!




That looks like a perfect spring meal. I must try that caper sauce...either with Greek yoghurt or a combo of mayo and sour cream.
ReplyDeleteIt is Angie, thanks! I'm sure the sauce would be great with the Greek yogurt. I had the mayo and sour cream on hand and used it, really delicious! Take care
DeletePam, you know I'm a fellow salmon lover, so this sounds like a winner to me. I'll have to try that caper sauce with yogurt as it fits my diet these days...
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ron! It's truly good for us salmon lovers, a great sauce with the capers. Yogurt works too! Hope you try it, enjoy!
Deletewow I love the addition of sour cream have done the mayo before this is a winner!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Claudia! Glad you like it.
DeleteTHAT looks devine!
ReplyDeleteI will be honest though, not sure about the orange or the capers.
Do love good Salmon though.
M : )
Hi Melinda! You either like capers or not, probably no in-between. And orange, I get you, I'm not big on orange but it works here for sure. Glad you like salmon too!
DeleteCapers and salmon are both quite popular in our family (that is both of us like them!) So this looks good. My caper-salmon combo is usually with smoked salmon.
ReplyDeletebe safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Oh, I love smoked salmon, my FIL used to make it all the time like I've said before. Capers would be awesome with that, next time! Take care
DeleteI could really enjoy BOTH!!! I love red salmon. Yum. I will be fixing these definitely.
ReplyDeleteHi Hootin' Anni! Bet you'd like this, it's good eating! Thanks!
DeleteGlad you liked it and I'm thinking the grill next time as well. Thanks for the shout out.
ReplyDeleteHi Larry! It was great and woo hoo! for the grill. Thanks for sharing the recipe! It's a keeper!!!
DeleteLove salmon, and that sauce looks fantastic! Lovely spring dish -- it's almost wild salmon season! Thanks for this.
ReplyDeleteOh, hard to beat wild salmon season, the best! The sauce is great for it. Thanks and take care, John!
DeleteI bookmarked this recipe when I saw it on Larry's blog too! It sounds so good and happy to have your review and adaptations! I also keep grated onion peel in my pantry too. It's great for baking also.
ReplyDeleteIt's great, Susan! Yep, always good to have the grated orange peel on hand, good addition to a lot of things like baking, like you said. Thanks!
DeletePam, That is a great looking meal! Love salmon and caper sauce. Not crazy about yogurt so I like your variation... Grilling season isn't there yet?? Did burgers first, then brats a couple of weeks ago, lamb chops last week and will do ribeye steaks tonight. This is a great area...but it would be so much better if we had the variety of cuisine that is available in your neck of the woods. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteHi Dave! Thanks, it was really delicious! Yes, I like sour cream, mayo combo better. Lucky you with grilling season! It has been good here the last couple of days, chicken on the grill last night, but as you well know the weather changes quickly here. I hear you, the variety of cuisine here is over and above most places. Have a good rest of the week!
DeleteMy favorite fish is Polluck (used by McDonalds - always in my freezer. It's also not expensive. My favorite yogurt is called Balcanic yogurt and its price has shamefully doubled; it's a boutique yogurt.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'm going to try your recipe with or without my yogurt, as it looks delicious!
Hi Duta! I've never seen Polluck in the stores here that I can remember. Sounds like a good one to have on hand. Hope you like the sauce should if you try it. Thanks!
DeleteThis sounds really good Pam. Orange and salmon is a winner.
ReplyDeleteHi Cakelaw! I was really surprised how well orange and salmon go together. Love this salmon! Take care
DeleteI love the adaptations you made. I LOVE capers!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Debra! Me too, capers definitely liven things up! Take care
DeleteWe love salmon, and this sounds delicious!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Nellie! This is now my fave salmon recipe, so good! 😉
DeleteI love new salmon recipes and the flavor in this one looks super good!
ReplyDeleteHi Amy! Me too, with the new recipes and this is a winner in my book! 😉 Thanks!
DeleteThe picture of your plate of salmon needs to be in a cooking book. This dish looks super healthy and even though I don't cook salmon very often, I would definitely like to try this recipe...
ReplyDeleteThanks, Shug! That's nice of you and I need all the help I can get with pictures! I'll try the sauce with whitefish, it should be good. Have a good weekend!
DeleteMy husband loves salmon but being vegan, I have no idea how to prepare it for him. I might give this a try. Thanks
ReplyDeleteThis just might be what you're looking for judee! 😉 Good luck and take care!
DeleteYummy, I love salmon!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Natalia! Have a good day!
Delete