Serve Belly-filling Baked Ziti for Dinner!

 

Cheater’s Lasagna should be 

the name for this dish!

 

  

Do you like lasagna, but could do without the fuss?  Make this baked ziti instead.  It has about the same flavors, is easy to make and is just as tasty.  

 

 

This baked ziti has a few layers like a lasagna ensuring that every bite is filled with savory sauce, meat, creamy ricotta, and best of all, stringy mozzarella.  

 



It's an easy main dish to make ahead and warm up before serving.  This time, I divided the mixture between two casserole dishes ~ placed one in the freezer for a later meal, another day.

The key to the success of the dish comes from under-cooking the pasta when boiling it, cook it almost to the point of being al dente.  You have to actually under-cook it if you like your pasta al dente.




 

Ricotta cheese adds contrast among the bold flavors of the tomato-based sauce, meat and mozzarella.  A simple version of the ricotta mixture includes a lightly beaten egg or two to help bind the ricotta to prevent it from becoming grainy or dry during baking, a little cream or milk could be used in its place.  

 


Use whatever sauce you like, your mama’s homemade version or Prego sauce off the grocery store shelf like I did.  

 



 

Try this ziti, it’s a cheesy mess of deliciousness, and we love it!

 

 

Belly-filling Baked Ziti

Belly-filling Baked Ziti

Servings: 8
Author: Pam's Midwest Kitchen Korner
Prep time: 15 MinCooking time: 50 MinTotal time: 1 H & 4 M
This baked ziti has a few layers, like a lasagna, ensuring that every bite is filled with savory sauce, meat, creamy ricotta, and best of all, stringy mozzarella.

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 white onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
  • 1 (16 ounces) box ziti pasta
  • 2 (24 ounces) jars pasta sauce (I use Prego Tomato Basil Garlic Sauce)
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Method

Notes:

This Baked Ziti makes enough for a crowd. You can scale it down for your family. I made full recipe, 2 casseroles, and froze one for a later meal.

Serve with hot garlic bread and a tossed green salad.

 

 

Enjoy! 

 

 


38 comments:

  1. This looks so very delicious and inviting with that thick cheese layer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! Love that cheese! Take care

      Delete
  2. Always a favorite we have this at least once a month but mom always added so much stuff so I tailored it back a little now. So good though yours surely looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia! Bet your mom's was really delicious, and now yours also! Take care

      Delete
  3. Lasagna - I like even the sound of it. It's one of the most loved dishes in the world, the ultimate comfort food, with its layers of good things, italian style.
    Yours looks just the kind of Lasagna I would gladly have now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duta! Yes, it's a great dish, filled with good flavors. Take care

      Delete
  4. Oh, boy, this ziti looks fantastic. I haven't been impressed by any recipe I've tried, but yours looks like a winner. It's definitely the time for comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! Yes, it's cold and windy here, perfect time for comfort food. Take care

      Delete
  5. Well...I still can not taste ANYTHING from covid, but I promise...I could almost taste this right off the page. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercy, hope you will return to normal soon, Shug! Thanks for the visit and take care.

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious Pam and I like getting the lasagna flavor with less work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry! It's much easier and faster and good too!

      Delete
  7. Bookmarking this! When Son3 and DIL3 leave I am making this for the freezer so THeHub and I will have some ready meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Hope you like it! Freezer meals are great. Take care

      Delete
  8. Pam, Easy is our middle name these days... Prep for 2 or more meals is also a plus! We do like lasagna but usually just buy ours at Costco, a place where we haven't been in quite a long time. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave! Prepping for 2 meals is a good thing, perfect for days when you really don't want to cook. You take care also!

      Delete
  9. This sounds delicious! It would make quite a hit when we’re able to have our family visit us again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nellie! Yes, most people like this,lots of good flavor. Enjoy. Take care!

      Delete
  10. Love lasagna but it's a lot of work. So I usually just make a baked ziti dish like this. Just as good and a lot easier. Your version looks terrific -- SO loaded with flavor. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John! I agree, this is easier and tastes just as good! Thanks!

      Delete
  11. I cheat when I make lasagne -- use no-boil noodles. Then it's a lot less work. This sounds delicious!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae! I haven't seen them in the store lately, but know they're good! This was good! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. This sounds wonderful, Pam, and making two is a plus!! I would love to make your recipe and making use some Italian sausage in place of some of the ground beef.
    Thank you for visiting my blog! Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kitty! Yes, Italian sausage is great in it also. Two is good too! Take care

      Delete
  13. This is such a hearty and delicious meal and always a family favorite! It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! It's a dish most of us like. Take care

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Hi Son! There's always some for you! See ya'! Love

      Delete
  15. Looks so comforting and perfect for Winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalia! Great comfort food for cold weather! Take care

      Delete
  16. Looks delicious and easy to make. This is the perfect comfort food for these cold months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! It's good for winter days like these. Take care

      Delete
  17. This looks really good Pam. I like lasagne so if this has all the flavour but is easier, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cakelaw! I like easier too! Take care

      Delete
  18. Yes, I agree. This is a cheater lasagna but ziti sounds a bit fancier. Pasta is my go to meal when I can't think of anything else to cook but that doesn't take away the "fancy" factor of a good pasta belly-filling meal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got sauce defrosting in the refrigerator now. Your recipe would be dinner if I had the mozzarella but I'll make something close. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

The trouble is, you cannot grow just one zucchini. Minutes after you plant a single seed, hundreds of zucchini will barge out of the ground and sprawl around the garden, menacing the other vegetables. At night, you will be able to hear the ground quake as more and more zucchinis erupt.
~ Dave Barry

🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.

Keep smiling!
Pam



You know,

nobody can ever

cook as good as

your Mama.

~ Paula Deen


You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook
You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook

DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

Total Pageviews

09 10