Cornmeal-battered Oven-fried Catfish and Ice Fishing with My FIL

 

Fishing around for a new catfish recipe?

 


 
Here’s one for you with savory flavors
that can be
put on the table quickly. 
 
 

Not much fishing here now, but years past, my father-in-law was an avid fisherman, any time, winter or summer... 



Herb, my father-in-law




 

Way back in Louisville when I met Bill,  I thought he was feeding me a line about his father drilling a hole in the ice for fishing.

I soon learned differently when I saw my father-in-law pulling his home-made insulated sled.   He constructed a seat with a padded cushion to sit on and packed the sled with a lantern for warmth, along with an auger for drilling through the ice, an ice pick plus the usual fishing equipment ~ poles and a tackle box filled with lures, rest of the year it was worms.  This was close to heaven for him.  

 

 

Frank and Ernest by Thaves

When we married and moved here close to Bill's family, my FIL would come over and fish in the lake 2 blocks from our house, taking Bubba with him in later years.  I miss those days of a plethora of fresh blue gills!  

 

"Dad" loved the outdoors:  hunting, fishing and gardening, and was good at all of it.  He was an avid reader also and a hard-working man who stood up for what he believed. 

Later years, he spent many a day in his heated garage with a wood burning stove, burning newspapers and whatever.  He was a jack-of-all-trades and tinkered around with a myriad of things.  

One of his best was turning an old refrigerator into a smoker.  A friend of his fished for Chinook and Coho salmon in Lake Michigan.  He gave fish to my FIL to smoke; for his effort, his friend in return let him keep some fish.  It was the best ever smoked salmon!

And he knew how to play a good game of pinochle, or about any card game. 

But then he would blast the Chicago Bears, even though he watched them all the time,  and even worse to me, the Cubs... 

 



I haven't done much fishing, but I did reel in this recipe for catfish that may not be fried, but it just might be the quickest, easiest way to enjoy it.

Catfish is firmer and less flaky than other whitefish. The taste of fresh catfish is a bit strong for some of us, but farm-raised varieties typically have a sweeter, milder taste. 

Whether your choice is fresh or farm-raised, baking catfish is one delicious way to cook the fish, without the mess of frying.


 


The fish is slightly spicy, with a savory cornmeal coating of chili powder, garlic powder, paprika and Italian dressing ~ crispy on the outside, yet tender and flaky on the inside ~ a healthier way to enjoy the fish.

 



If you like catfish, this recipe is a great addition to your weeknight dinner routine!  

Only thing missing is hushpuppies...

 

 

Cornmeal-battered Oven-fried Catfish

Cornmeal-battered Oven-fried Catfish

Fishing around for a new catfish recipe? This catfish may not be fried, but it just might be the quickest, healthiest, easiest way to enjoy it!

Ingredients

  • Cooking spray
  • 2 catfish fillets
  • 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup Kraft Robusto Italian Dressing

Method

     

     

     Happy eating!

     

     

    32 comments:

    1. I loved reading about the fishermen in the family, Pam! Great memories of your father-in-law! This sounds like the perfect way to cook catfish. They have never been a favorite among many of the family, though this would really be appealing! Stay warm and safe!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Nellie! I understand, it's all about the unique taste of the fish, you either like it or not. I didn't so much when I was young, but love it now, esp when spicy. Take care

        Delete
    2. We love that coating and yours looks fantastic. When ever I think of ice fishing it reminds me of the movie Grumpy old men one of our favorite.. this looks terrific!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ha! Yes, I remember that in Grumpy Old Men! Too funny! Thanks, and take care.

        Delete
    3. Not sure that I have ever eaten Catfish, I have never seen it on sale anywhere!! Keep safe Diane

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Diane! You need to visit the U.S., esp the South! It's about everywhere! Take care, be safe!

        Delete
    4. What great memories you have shared! He sounds like a wonderful father and fisherman. I have seen those old-time refrigerators (with the metal racks for shelves) turned into smokers along Lake Michigan -- a tradition that's over for so many reasons ... including the flimsier materials now used in refrigerator construction!

      be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Mae, he was! You surprised us about those old-time refrigerators, with the cruddy wire racks, just like his, avocado green! We always thought he had read about the refrigerator smokers somewhere, maybe his fisherman friend by Lake Michigan told him about that. We'll never know. Lake Michigan is beautiful! Take care

        Delete
    5. These look very good and I love the story with it.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Your catfish looks so good with that golden crunchy coating. My brother is a huge fan of fishing...he will rent a boat with friends who share the same interest and go out onto the sea for a day or two...I am usually the one who eats all the fish he brings home..strangely enough, he enjoys fishing, but not really into eating them.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Angie! Interesting story with your brother, and good that you reap the benefits. I guess it's a great sport and plenty in our family like it, but I'm with you in eating the fish. Since you live in Germany, just wondering what fish he catches. Thanks for the visit and take care.

        Delete
    7. Pam, I haven't been ice fishing since I was about 12 years old. It was something that my stepfather did from time to time. I've learned that I'm a fair weather fisherman... Love fresh bluegills and other pan fish...just fry them up and eat them like candy. We generally don't cook fish at home...its just something that we've never gotten into. Sometimes we'll use ready to bake fish from the store. We do love a good catfish dinner though and baking would be a simple solution. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Dave! Bill is probably right with you on the fishing, as I am. Have only fished a couple of times and that's enough for me. And, like you, those fresh bluegills are the best. There's a restaurant in Lake Geneva that serves delicious ones, don't have to catch, scale, filet or fry them! You also stay safe and take care.

        Delete
    8. We love catfish and yours look delicious, but I couldn't resist pan frying them.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Larry! Yep, nothing beats pan-fried catfish, love it!!!

        Delete
    9. I like the story of your father in law and the picture of him.
      Your catfish with its cornmeal crispy coat looks great!

      ReplyDelete
    10. I loved reading your heartwarming story bod your FIL, Pam. Your recipe sounds wonderful and I like the idea of oven fried...much less messy!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Kitty! Yes, that's a good thing, no messy grease clean up. Thanks for the visit!

        Delete
    11. I sure enjoyed your post and reading about the fishing. So different from what fishing is like in my little area. I find it interesting to watch shows about ice fishing. And....this recipe makes my day! I don't like frying and I think this way of serving fish is a big winner.....Enjoy your day Pam...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Shug! Yep, no ice fishing down your way for sure! I get you with the frying, grease splatters everywhere, but sometimes it's a good thing, I guess! Take care

        Delete
    12. I've never been ice fishing, but it looks like fun. Such a nice post. And such a nice recipe -- this looks wonderful. Thanks.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi John! Oooof, looks interesting but I'd rather warm and sunny! Thanks for stopping by! Take care

        Delete
    13. Good times. We pulled a lot of bluegills and lake perch out of that lake (and the occasional bass and catfish)! I miss sitting on a boat fishing- too bad almost every place around here is catch and release :(

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Bubba! You betcha'! Loved those bluegills and know you miss it all. Yes, don't see anyone fishing much any more because of the catch and release. Love

        Delete
    14. I grew up in Texas where most fish that was served was catfish. You are right...the only thing missing are the hushpuppies. Your fish looks to crispy,

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Karen! I love hushpuppies, but don't think I've ever seen them on the menus here.

        Delete
    15. these fillets look so crispy and yummy!
      I love fried fish, and the oven-fried sounds healthier.

      Have a wonderful Sunday!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Evi! Healthier for sure! I love fried catfish too! Have a good day!

        Delete

    🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

    The trouble is, you cannot grow just one zucchini. Minutes after you plant a single seed, hundreds of zucchini will barge out of the ground and sprawl around the garden, menacing the other vegetables. At night, you will be able to hear the ground quake as more and more zucchinis erupt.
    ~ Dave Barry

    🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

    Hi!
    I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.

    Keep smiling!
    Pam



    You know,

    nobody can ever

    cook as good as

    your Mama.

    ~ Paula Deen


    You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook
    You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook

    DINNER PARTY

    DINNER PARTY
    Jules-Alexandre Grun

    ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

    ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

    Total Pageviews

    09 10