Down East Crab Cakes
taste great,
less filler!
The Down East Crab Cake name comes from crabmeat mixed with eggs and sauce,
no mayonnaise included!
Most of us love the sweet, briny crab meat that comes from the coasts. Crab cakes started out as a measure of thrift.
Although crabs were plentiful in the Chesapeake Bay, their meat was difficult and time-consuming to remove from the shell ~ cooks would, as a rule, stretch their meager yields with cracker crumbs, bread crumbs and eggs.
These days, thanks to readily available tinned crabmeat and shipments of frozen-fresh, we can find crab cakes all over the country.
A couple of days ago, our market had Chicken of the Sea Premium Claw Crab Meat on sale. It's normally very expensive, but it was half price that day and I grabbed 3 tins of it.
I settled on the recipe from The Southern Living Cookbook and adapted it only slightly by swapping green onions for green peppers, and adding a little paprika, garlic powder and black pepper. I will actually add more garlic powder the next time.
![]() |
| Ready to fry |
The crab cakes make for a perfect seafood-inspired meal!
DOWN EAST CRAB CAKES
Printable recipe
Ingredients:
1½ pound lump crab meat, drained and flaked
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten (I used Southwestern Style Egg Beaters
2 tablespoons chopped onion (I used green onions)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup flour
Vegetable oil
Hot sauce or cocktail sauce (optional)
Method:
Combine all ingredients through salt.
Stir well, shape into 9-12 patties, mixture will be loose.*
Refrigerate until well-chilled, 30 minutes to an hour.
Dredge crab cakes in flour.
Heat oil in large skillet, add patties, and fry until golden brown, turning once.
Drain on paper towels.
Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Makes 9 to 12 patties, smaller for appetizers, larger for main dish.
Enjoy!



Good morning Pam..... this looks simple enough for me to make. Anytime that we travel down around the coast, Sam always orders crab cakes. He really likes them! Hopefully, I can make him some using your recipe and he will be able to enjoy them throughout the year. Hope you have a wonderful day. It's hot already here in Texas....
ReplyDeleteThanks, Shug! They're easy to make and good! Send some of your Texas heat this way!!! Very chilly here and windy this morn, heat is on in the house!!!
DeleteThose crabmeat cakes look great! No surprise ingredients here, all of them known, loved and appreciated.
ReplyDeleteHi Duta! Yes, no weird ingredients to buy. Thanks!
DeleteI just had crab cakes a few days ago, in Virginia -- there's quite a tradition of crab cakes there, from Chesapeake. Sometimes they add way too much filler, but usually they are really good. Your recipe looks very well-balanced and delicious.
ReplyDeletebest... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Not a lot of filler with these, Mae, just enough to bind it together. Thanks!
DeleteCrab cakes are wonderful! I go back and forth between crackers and breadcrumbs when I make them -- I think breadcrumbs are better (you obviously agree!). Lovely recipe -- thanks.
ReplyDeleteHi John! Yes, good with cracker crumbs also. Thanks!
DeleteThey were good but would be better with more garlic and spicier mustard!
ReplyDeleteThen again, how many things aren't better with those?
Thanks, Son! You got it, more garlic and spicier mustard, will you be making some! Love
DeleteLooking good!
ReplyDeleteMr. Ken would love these but his Gout does not. :0
M : )
Thanks, Melinda! Oh, gout is a nasty thing! Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteOh, do I love crabcakes! These look wonderful and the recipe sounds great! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteHi Susan! Glad you like them, thanks!
DeleteI can't remember when I last had a crabcake! These look amazingly delicious, Pam.
ReplyDeleteThey're good, Angie! It's not something we have often either. Take care
DeleteI absolutely love the idea of less filler and lots and lots of crab meat...looks so yummy, the way I like it. Have a great rest of the week Pam!
ReplyDeleteJulian, thanks! Less filler works, they're great crab cakes! You have a great rest of the week also!
DeleteLove crabcakes Pam! and these sounds and looks stunning!! love them ! xo
ReplyDeleteHi Gloria! Thank you! Hope all is well your way, take care. xo
DeleteWow, these cooked up beautifully! Now I have a huge crab cake craving---these sound delicious1!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Liz! They are delicious, for sure!
DeletePam, it's hard to beat a good crab cake. As a kid we used to have a similar recipe that we stuffed into the crab shell and baked. Brings back good food memories for me. Our fresh crab meat to priced above my pay grade here, but I can get frozen for a reasonable price. Now I just have to find a crab shell...
ReplyDeleteHi Ron! Oh, that sounds great! I'd definitely have a problem finding a crab shell around here also. Too bad crab meat is so expensive! Thanks and take care.
DeleteI love crab cakes and yours look very good.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Larry! It's good eating!
DeleteI see plenty of fresh crab here but not sure that I have seen tinned! Must see what is available, these sound excellent. Have a good weekend, it is nearly here, Diane
ReplyDeleteThanks, Diane! Fresh is not readily available by us, lucky you! Take care
DeleteHi Pam, My wife loves good crab cakes and she really liked your recipe! I like the lack of filler that some restaurants use...more veggies and other fillers than crab in some cases. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteI agree, Dave! Glad Laurie likes it! It seems to have a lot of filler in some restaurants, but this version is really good, if you like crab cakes! Thanks!
DeleteThese look delicious and I love how they are full of the good stuff and not all the extra fillers!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Amy! Have a good weekend!
DeletePam these crab cakes are so perfect for any meal,.. I can use them as burger patty as well..
ReplyDeleteYes, they'd be great as a burger patty! Take care
Deletelooks easy and sounds deicious!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Claudia! They are!
DeleteOh my! I think I need to make them. Love crabcakes.
ReplyDelete