Use up your ripe bananas with this
banana muffin recipe!
Speaking of muffins ~ remember the Seinfeld episode, “The Muffin Tops?"
Elaine, who only cares for the muffin tops, proposes a harebrained plan to open a muffin shop that just sells the tops. Mr. Lippman, her ex-boss, takes off on the idea, thinking it’s a million-dollar idea, does exactly that: opens a muffin top shop. When the muffin tops turn out tasteless and ho-hum, the business starts to fail.
Lippman asks Elaine for advice and bribes her with 30% of the profits. She realizes that he is only baking the tops, and explains that he must bake the whole muffin and then pop the top from the stump. This succeeds, but Lippman is left with hoards of muffin stumps. They try to donate them to the homeless shelters who decline the measly offerings.
Running out of options, Lippman and Elaine explain the situation to her neighbor, the gluttonous and conniving Newman. In a spoof of Harvey Keitel’s character in the movie, “Pulp Fiction,” (Keitel played a “cleaner,” an underworld figure who makes problems disappear, usually by burying them), Newman shows up with a vast quantity of milk and proceeds to devour the staggering stockpile of muffin stumps.
Which leads me to these banana muffins, with their addictive cinnamon crumb topping. This is a slightly adapted King Arthur Flour recipe. The original recipe was a blue-ribbon-winner in the junior division at the 1997 State Baking Contest at the Connecticut State Fair for a 9-year-old girl.
![]() |
| Hot from the oven |
I’m not sure why the original recipe mentions that paper muffin liners shouldn’t be used. I used them and they worked fine...
They’re banana-y muffins with a great cinnamon-y crumb topping!
BANANA CRUMB MUFFINS
Printable recipe INGREDIENTS:
TOPPING
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, room temperature
MUFFINS
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon banana extract
1 egg, slightly beaten
⅓ cup butter, melted
METHOD:
Preheat oven to 375°.
For the topping: in a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add butter and mix with a pastry cutter or fork until crumbly, set aside.
For the muffins: in a large bowl, combine dry ingredients, set aside.
In another bowl, combine mashed bananas, sugar, banana extract, egg and butter; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Fill greased muffins cups or paper liners two-thirds full. Using hands, arrange coarse, pea-sized crumbs over muffin batter.
Bake at 375° for 16 to 20 minutes until muffins test done with a cake tester or toothpick. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
*Banana extract boosts the banana flavor, use vanilla extract, if you prefer.
Enjoy!




I send all my overripe bananas to the freezer so we can enjoy cakes and muffins at a later time. Love your recipe, the crumb top always steals the show. Also, it never occurred to me bump up the banana flavor to use extract-that's a great idea.
ReplyDeleteHappy almost spring Pam!
Velva
Hi Velva! Great idea with the bananas in the freezer! I will do that now! Take care
DeleteThey are super yummy with the crumble topping!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Angie! We really liked them. Have a wonderful week ahead!
DeletePam, We love muffins and these look great! We actually do have a local bakery that does sell some tasty muffin tops. The best muffins we've ever had were from bakeries in the Boston area. They were huge too...and addictive! Thanks for the recipe. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteYum! I would love those muffin tops, Dave! Thanks for the visit and have a great rest of the week! And now I have to make a trip to Boston...
DeleteI do remember that Seinfeld episode. Your banana muffin recipe sounds great and it would be hard to only eat just the muffin top. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Karen! Yes, I love the tops! Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteYour recipe looks perfect! no fuss ingredients, easy to make, and the result, I'm sure, enjoyable to eat.
ReplyDeleteBesides, it's a great way to use overripe bananas! I'm a great lover of bananas both in their natural form as well as in baked goods. I'm particularly addicted to their flavor (and won't necessarily use cinnamon or any other flavor to go with bananas).
Hi Duta! I agree with you, but cinnamon, cardamom, and many more spices would work here. I'm not fond of bananas as such, but love breads, etc made from them. Take care
DeleteYeah, that muffin top episode was crazy. Your banana crumb muffins look terrific.
ReplyDeleteYes, it was Cakelaw! Pretty crazy funny show! Have a good day!
DeleteLove banana cake so I know I will love these. Love the idea of the topping. I have never seen banana flavouring here! Hope all is well have a good week. Diane
ReplyDeleteHi Diane! I like banana cake too, and Mom used to make Banana Cream Pie, loved that meringue! The flavoring is new to me and I was happy to see it at the grocery store. Things are good here and I hope all is well your way too!
DeleteSuch a funny episode! Love muffin tops and these gorgeous muffins. I have ripe bananas that need a recipe! Woohoo
ReplyDeleteHi Tricia! Yes, it was funny! They had some great shows! Woo hoo to your banana muffins! Take care
DeleteFun post! Loved the way you set it up. And love these muffins -- always get some really ripe bananas every week or so (I buy too many!), so this is a perfect use for them. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThanks, John! This recipe definitely needs really ripe bananas. Take care
DeleteThese look so good. I've been doing a lot of baking and need to add something with bananas to my recipe list. This is a great one to try.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Carol! Hope you like the muffins, should you try the recipe! Take care
DeleteLove the sound of these muffins. Of course I love crumbs too. And banana is my favorite muffin flavor. However I'll eat the whole thing!
ReplyDeleteMe too, Abbe, I'll eat the whole thing! Thanks for the visit!
DeleteThese muffins sounds amazing and love the crumb topping. Seinfeld is such a classic. We all remember all the episodes lol.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Evelyne! Seinfeld was great, a classic for sure! Thands and take care!
DeleteI'd love a batch of these in my freezer for a quick breakfast treat or snack. So yummy with the streusel topping!
ReplyDeleteMe too, Liz! They're great for breakfast! Thanks!
DeleteI didn't watch that show much but ... I still do remember the muffin top business.
ReplyDeleteHi Ivy! Hope you have a great day!
DeleteI love watching all the old Seinfeld shows- your muffins sound delicious
ReplyDeleteMe too, Judee! Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteDoesn't she also have an issue with not knowing how to deal with the bottoms? Even the homeless rejected them. Now they make shallow muffin tins so you can make a muffin that's all tops. As for me, I eat the whole thing, and that shows in the "muffin top" over the waistband of my pants!
ReplyDeleteI have a bunch of rapidly-browning bananas that I intended to make into nice, nutritious smoothies. You are making me rethink that.
oh, how i love a streusel topping on a muffin! this is a very fine use for bananas indeed!
ReplyDeletePam, I love a muffin with a crumb topping. Love your banana muffins. I would love to wake up to some of these muffins.
ReplyDelete