Jean Leon Gerome Ferris (1863-1930)
First Thanksgiving Poem
If I had been a Pilgrim child
Among the fields and forests wild
Where deer and turkey used to roam,
A cabin would have been my home
With fireplace and earthen floor
And bearskins hanging at the door.
I would have gathered berries bright
For candles fragrantly alight,
And dug for clams and picked the corn
And laid the table smooth and worn.
Or hunted nuts hard-shelled and good
And helped in any way I could,
With time to laugh and play and run
When Indian children came for fun.
And on the first Thanksgiving Day
I would have met with friends to pray
And thank the Lord for all his care
In keeping us together there.
Margaret Hillert
Among the fields and forests wild
Where deer and turkey used to roam,
A cabin would have been my home
With fireplace and earthen floor
And bearskins hanging at the door.
I would have gathered berries bright
For candles fragrantly alight,
And dug for clams and picked the corn
And laid the table smooth and worn.
Or hunted nuts hard-shelled and good
And helped in any way I could,
With time to laugh and play and run
When Indian children came for fun.
And on the first Thanksgiving Day
I would have met with friends to pray
And thank the Lord for all his care
In keeping us together there.
Margaret Hillert
Norman Rockwell (1894 - 1978)
On this Thanksgiving Day
it seems more important than ever
to count our blessings.
May God bless you and yours
with
Peace, Good Health, Prosperity and
Much Happiness.
Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!


Happy thanksgiving my dear!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful Thanksgiving!!
ReplyDeletePam, For some reason, the comment section is working for me re: your blog! Have a great Thanksgiving!! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteThanks to all of you!
ReplyDeleteHope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving; Love that Norman Rockwel scene.
ReplyDeleteRita
And to you and your family. So grateful for my blog friends.
ReplyDeleteHope you had a great Thanksgiving Pam!
ReplyDeleteI love reading your posts! They always bring a smile to my face! :)
ReplyDeleteA beautiful post. Happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteMary