Slightly Spicy Summer Veggies and Bacon Skillet

 
Turn your farmers’ market pickings into a vegetable stir-fry dish for dinner, it’s as colorful as it is tasty!

 

 

Bill and I both really liked this; just the right amount of seasonings with the extra flavor of smoky bacon. 

 

 

Load your skillet with as many vegetables as you like without fear of overflowing the skillet.   They’ll release a lot of water, steam in their own juices, and cook down quickly ~ just don’t cook them to death, best to cook until crisp-tender.

 



 

Customize the dish to your liking, the combinations are nearly endless, add cooked chicken or shrimp, if you want a one-dish meal. Just chop the vegetables and have all the ingredients ready to go before you start cooking.

 

This is a fresh way to bring those summer flavors to your table that’s easy to whip up and serve!

 

 



Print

Spicy Summer Veggie and Bacon Skillet

Servings: 4-6
Prep time: 15 MCooking time: 20 MTotal time: 35 M
Customize the dish to your liking, the combinations are nearly endless, add cooked chicken or shrimp, if you want a one-dish meal.

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 pound bacon
  • 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 medium yellow crookneck squash, cut into chunks
  • 1 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
  • 1 red bell pepper, large dice
  • 2 medium tomatoes, large dice
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper

Method:

  1. Heat a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, set aside, leaving 2 tablespoons grease in skillet. 
  2. Add garlic and onion in the hot skillet, cook until onion is tender, about 4 minutes.
  3. Add squash, zucchini.  and  bell pepper, cook until tender, 4-5 minutes.
  4. Add tomatoes and cook 1 minute.
  5. Add seasonings, toss gently and cook another minute, adjusting seasonings if needed.
  6. Serve
Created using The Recipes Generator
 

 

 

Enjoy! 

 

 

36 comments:

  1. We love to chop and toss a big bowl of fresh veggies on our outdoor frying pan (stekhäll)and create. I've not tried your spice profile but will soon. I love the fennel seed and chili powder idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ron! It's easy and good and I like your outdoor frying pan method! Sounds great!

      Delete
  2. A harvest meal! I like the use of fennel seeds here and of course everything tastes better with bacon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie! Harvest meal for sure. I like using a small tad of fennel seeds, adds a unique taste. Take care

      Delete
  3. Your flexible approach is neat. So many possibilities for this stir-fry.

    be well...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae! Thanks, about anything goes with stir-fries!

      Delete
  4. Combinations - is the name of the game. My basis of veggies has to include: red onion, garlic, tomatoes , pepper (green, yellow, red). This gets combined with chicken or fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duta! I like your combo of veggies, and bet it looks as colorful as it is good. Great for chicken and fish. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. A very tasty way to enjoy summer’s bounty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nellie! Summertime veggies are a great thing about summer! Take care

      Delete
  6. Pam, Very colorful indeed... The only problem I have is that I don't like onion or any type of bell pepper. We have put together squash, zucchini and various squash combinations with various spices...healthy eating in either case. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your way sounds good too, Dave! I'm a huge fan of onions though and bell peppers too, but it's good that a dish such as this is so flexible. Thanks, you stay safe and take care also!

      Delete
  7. This sounds really tasty, plus I love one pan meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! One pan meals work for me! take care

      Delete
  8. Neat dish. We make variations of this basic recipe at least once a week in the summer. We often use canned beans instead of the bacon, but bacon is better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John! I don't add bacon to it often but we love it when I do. Canned beans, I will have to try that next time! Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  9. I am definitely a veggie person and I can so see myself enjoying this recipe. Simple, Easy and great tasting....my kind of meal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like veggies too, Shug! This is so good and about any combo works. Take cae

      Delete
  10. Looks like a tasty side dish Pam making good use of summers bounty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry! So many good summer veggies, and so many ways of preparing them. Take care

      Delete
  11. I'm trying to work out leaving comments again, hope this works even though it won't link back to me. Love the addition of the spices you used in your veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! The comment is fine and your link works great! Glad you like the spices too! Thanks for the visit and take care.

      Delete
  12. Pam the dish is looking very tempting. Fresh veggies at its best. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, thank you! Fresh veggies are always good and we eat a lot of them here. Take care

      Delete
  13. What a yummy summer side dish! My garden is overrun with tomatoes, so I'd add a few of those, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz! Fresh tomatoes are awesome and I add them often also. Thanks and take care!

      Delete
  14. We love this type of dish. We made a similar veggie stir fry last night less the bacon, chili powder and fennel. We used an Asian sauce instead, it was good but yours sounds even better. I've gotta give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Asian sauce sounds delicious, Ron! That's great for a stir-fry and something we like also. Thanks and take care!

      Delete
  15. I love this Pam, looks absolutely delicious!! send you love !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria! Thanks so much! Sending you love also. Take care

      Delete
  16. Pam,
    What a fabulous recipe to get in more of summer bounties. I loved how you have used the skillet and seasonings asking me to go for it! Loved your amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Let's Curry! Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  17. I love the sound of this Pam, so colourful and seasonal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this grouper! All the ingredients are my fav! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All the right kind of veggies. Never would have thought to use fennel seeds..

    ReplyDelete

🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

The trouble is, you cannot grow just one zucchini. Minutes after you plant a single seed, hundreds of zucchini will barge out of the ground and sprawl around the garden, menacing the other vegetables. At night, you will be able to hear the ground quake as more and more zucchinis erupt.
~ Dave Barry

🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.

Keep smiling!
Pam



You know,

nobody can ever

cook as good as

your Mama.

~ Paula Deen


You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook
You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook

DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

Total Pageviews

09 10