I still regret the day I didn’t take time off from work to attend Julia Child’s cooking demo and book signing at the Chicago Botanic Garden years ago. I’m a huge fan of hers and, it would’ve been a wonderful thing ~ a great memory, for sure ~ and I know for a fact, nothing memorable happened at work that day!
Chicken is so popular, and there’s a good reason why; it’s
delicious, healthy and the price is right.
Not much beats this roast chicken of Julia’s. It’s moist and meaty on the inside with a
great golden roasted color on the outside.
This is perfect roast chicken for about any occasion! You’ll have to make it to find out how
delicious it is!
Julia’s Favorite
Roast Chicken
Adapted
Ingredients:
2½ tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup each:
finely diced carrots, onion and celery1 teaspoon thyme
One 3½ to 4-pound chicken
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
Celery leaves
Six 1/8-inch-thick lemon slices
½ cup sliced onion
½ cup sliced carrots
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¾ cup chicken stock
Method:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet.Add diced carrots, onion and celery and cook over moderate heat until softened.
Stir in the herbs.
Wash chicken rapidly inside and out with hot water and pat thoroughly dry.
Pull neck skin up over the breast and salt and pepper the cavity.
Spoon in cooked vegetables, a handful of celery leaves and the lemon slices. Massage chicken with 1 tablespoon butter.
Tie ends of drumsticks together and tuck wings underneath body.
Use a roasting pan 1-inch larger than the chicken.
Salt the chicken all over and set it breast up on a rack in the pan.
Roast the chicken for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, as follows:
At 15 minutes: Brush the chicken with the remaining ½
tablespoon of butter. Scatter the sliced
onion and carrot all around. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
At 45 minutes: Brush the lemon juice over the chicken. If necessary, add ½ cup of water to the
vegetables to prevent browning.
At 50 minutes: Baste with the pan juices. Test for doneness: The drumsticks should move easily in their
sockets and flesh should be somewhat soft.
An instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees.
Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 15 minutes.
Carve and serve on a platter.
ENJOY!
ENJOY!


Can't beat Julia's chicken that's for sure, Pam! Yours looks yummy! So sorry you missed the book signing...
ReplyDeleteYou are so right, Louise! It's delicious!
DeleteI still wish I had not been shy and asked Trisha Romance for her autograph when she had a Gallery in Sarasota Fl:(
ReplyDeleteI have some of her prints..Love her..
Like Julia..so I get it:) It looks perfect Pam.
Monique, wish we had those days back to meet and get autographs! Thanks!
DeleteI agree....you can't beat a good cooked chicken, and your's looks divine! a big yum-o
ReplyDeleteThanks, Shug! Have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeletePam, That is a beautiful roasted chicken! Chicken is one of our favorite foods. It's more inexpensive than most meats, you can prepare it and season it so many different ways...and I love leftover chicken in any form or fashion! Take Care and Stay Warm, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dave! You are like Bill, he loves chicken also, and esp. leftover. Have a great week!
DeleteBeautiful, Pam! How I would have loved a chance to see Julia in action! I remember watching her toss around a 14-pound turkey on PBS! Quite an amazing woman! I wish I could find larger chickens these days, though.
ReplyDeleteNellie, that would've been great! She was quite the cook and entertainer also! You should come here for a large chicken, we got them! :-)
DeleteYum! Pam, you'd enjoy the book "Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child"! She was an incredible cook and had a remarkable life & so much of it is in this book. I knew there was a "good reason" why I like the cracker "Goldfish" so much! :)
ReplyDelete~Judy
Judy, I have the book, it's great! Julia had an interesting life and it made for a good read. Yes, she loved those Goldfish appetizers! :-) Take care.
DeleteNothing beats roast chicken and yours looks delicious Pam. I have enjoyed sharing your photo and quote of Julia's in your side bar. I would have greatly regretted missing an opportunity to see her too. We didn't go to see Elvis' last performance in Houston and still rue the day. Live and learn I suppose :)
ReplyDeleteSam
Thanks, Sam! Roast chicken rules! Glad you like the photo and quote! Too bad about your not seeing Elvis then, that definitely would've been unforgettable! Have a great week!
DeleteThanks for finding me today, Pam. I am your newest follower. I have never made Julia's chicken but it sounds wonderful!!! Thanks. xo Diana
ReplyDeleteHi Diana! Same here, I'm your newest. Glad you like the chicken!
DeleteWhat a great memory that would have been! Oh well, I'm sure we all have our would-have, could-haves. At least we have Julia's delicious recipes and this chicken is the perfect example of her talent. It sounds delicious!
ReplyDeleteRight, Susan and this is a good one. Thanks.
DeleteI am such a Julia fan too - wish you could have made it to the book signing. I keep talking about going up to DC to see her kitchen in the Smithsonian - just going to have to put it on the calendar. Love this roasted chicken and it does look so moist and delicious. Have a great week Pam!
ReplyDeleteTricia, that would be interesting to see at the Smithsonian. Hope you get to see it!
DeleteShe is the best. I watch her shows even now.
ReplyDeleteWhat made you pick work over going?
Ivy, they're a great cooking show! Guess I thought work was more important. :-)
DeleteAnd she's funny. The best.
DeleteNothing beats a delicious roasted chicken. Yours looks delicious. Julia was a fantastic cook.
ReplyDeleteGeraldine, thanks! Julia was, for sure!
DeleteHi Pam,
ReplyDeleteTo me there is nothing like a fabulous Roast Chicken and especially a recipe that the Queen (Julia Child) of cooking shares. I remember her show and used to watch it all the time. They didn't have the Food Network at that time for sure. Yours looks so juicy and delicious! What a shame that you didn't get a chance to see her in person and get the book with her signature. Thank you for sharing this classic dish...Have a great week and stay warm and safe...
Dottie :)
Hi Dottie! I used to watch her show all the time too, way before Food Network. This chicken was great, very moist. She knew her way around the kitchen. Take care.
DeleteOh Pam, I am so sorry you were the loyal employee and missed Julia. But, the roast chicken is her recipe and it is delicious. It is a classic and every cook needs to know how to prepare it.
ReplyDeleteSusan, thanks! I wouldn't be so loyal if I had it to do again. :-) You're right, it's a classic.
DeleteOh I agree Pam . . . that would have been so cool to see Julia Childs! She was one of my first inspirational chefs when I started cooking in the early 70's (after knowing only how to open a can of soup!). This recipe must be outstanding since Ms. Childs was the source. Thank you for saving me the time in searching for the perfect roasted chicken recipe! Pinned!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Roz
Roz, thanks! I thought Julia was great, loved her shows and cookbooks. Hope you try this recipe of hers and like it too. Hugs
Deletehi Pam . what a gorgeous roasted chicken ... beautifully roasted and when carved you can see it's morist and tender . I agree , Julia is the best . thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe , Pinning :) Nee
ReplyDeleteThanks, Nee! It's a good recipe for roast chicken, perfect for this cold weather. Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteHi Pam, your roasted chicken looks perfect, I love meals like this, will have to try this recipe.....Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteCheri, thanks! You have a great rest of the week also.
DeleteI've never found Julia Child's timing was enough for the chicken; somehow it always takes longer in my kitchen. I've never understood this. But I do love that chicken as much as you do, as I love many many recipes from her many books. It's a completely different taste from the chickens that are already cooked and ready at Whole Foods, Safeway, or Costco!
ReplyDeleteMae, that's interesting. Maybe it has to do with the size of the chicken, temperature of the oven, so many variables. The timing of the recipe worked for me, and it turned out tender and moist. Yes, much better roasted at home. Thanks!
Deletemmmmm!!! that looks so good ~ and can you believe that I've never tried this recipe lol! tonight I'm making scalloped ham and potatoes because we had a LOT of ham left over the other night :) I will be putting chicken on the menu for this weekend though and try this! (and I bet you ARE upset you dind't go see Julia...how great would that have been....oh well!!) Keep warm with the storm...it will be hitting us early morning...hoping this is the last of it!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Girls! Yes, I was upset I didn't go to see Julia. Your ham and potatoes sounds great. I was just talking about having a honey ham for Easter. More snow, and ice today, and windy here! Take care and stay warm!
DeleteThere's nothing quite like the aroma of a roasting chicken! You've given me a huge craving...and I'm certain any recipe from Julia is a winner!!!
ReplyDeleteLiz, you're right. Thanks for the visit!
DeleteThe chicken is perfectly roasted...so golden brown and crisp and the meat so tender and juicy. An excellent one, Pam.
ReplyDeleteAngie, thanks! We eat a lot of chicken and this is a great recipe for it!
DeleteI love Julia's recipes Pam!
ReplyDeleteThis look wonderful!
Gloria, thanks! She was quite the cook!
DeleteI have not roasted a whole chicken for ages...after seeing yours I feel that I should give this recipe a try...indeed sounds and looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteHave a great week Pam :)
Juliana, so many great recipes out there to try. Now I'm looking forward to grilling whenever it should decide to warm up here. Have a great rest of the week!
DeleteRoast chicken.. looks really good. Thanks for the recipe! It's not easy to find a good recipe for roasted chicken.
ReplyDeleteMedeja, thank you! It was really good!
DeleteThat looks fabulous, Pam. Perfectly cooked....so nice and moist. Hard for me to decide between Julia's chicken and Ina's!
ReplyDeleteBarbara, thanks! I like Ina too and will have to try her version. Glad to know that!
Deletemmmmmmm. Can't ever go wrong with Julia's recipes!!!! I thawed chicken breasts for today.. still not sure what I am doing with them. Happy Tuesday.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Leslie! We like chicken just about any way and have it often. Bet yours was good! Happy Week!
DeleteJulia could roast a chicken! Love, love Julia Child. I did get a opportunity to see her kitchen set up at the Smithsonian. Very cool.
ReplyDeleteVelva
Velva, lucky you! I'd love to see that!
DeleteI admired her too, what a wonderful cook, and this is such a great recipe!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Laurie! She was one of a kind!
DeleteGreat looking chicken Pam.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Larry!
DeleteI loved your comment about nothing remarkable happening at work that day. So true. You make me think we need to live a bit more spontaneously AND roast a chicken or two.
ReplyDeleteDebra, thanks, and right on! It surely would've been a remarkable day if I had met her!
DeleteJulia is a real hero of mine. It was her cooking show back in the 60s that opened my eyes to the world of food, and how doable it was to cook good stuff. This chicken is excellent -- thanks.
ReplyDeleteHi John! Yes, she was a great inspiration to us all. She made it look easy and fun too. Good day!
DeleteDear Pam, I love a good roasted chicken dinner and the left-overs are the best! I am also fan of Julia Child. It would have been fun but don't regret we all have those little, "oh, I wish I would have" moments to look back on. xoxo Catherine
ReplyDeleteThanks, Catherine! Yes, it makes for great leftovers! Take care.
ReplyDeleteWe love lemon chicken so this would certainly be a hit with us. Thanks for the recipe. Keep well Diane
ReplyDeleteThanks, Diane! Chicken is always a hit here. Take care
DeleteRoast chicken is the best - so simple, and so good. Sometimes it's the things we don't do that we regret the most, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteThanks, Beth! Yes, you're right on both counts. Have a good rest of the week!
DeleteThe roast chicken looks really delicious! I can see how this could easily be a family favourite!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joyce! It's a big favorite!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds delish - nothing like a good roast chicken to warm the soul.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Gaye! Have a sunny day!
Delete