What a way to eat your broccoli!
I’m thinking broccoli and pasta are made for each other, a
great duo as this Cooking Light
recipe proves.
This tasty sauce is similar to an alfredo sauce but, without
heavy cream and butter. Low-fat cream
cheese and skim milk are the substitutes, with Dijon mustard and seasonings
flavoring it up.
Any short pasta can be substituted here, with rotini and
farfalle being good choices. I think
next time; I’ll throw some minced garlic into the mix.
Try this and enjoy your broccoli!
Cheesy Penne w/Broccoli
Ingredients:
8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
5 cups broccoli florets (about 1 medium head)1 1/3 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tablespoons 1/3-less fat cream cheese
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
Dash ground nutmeg
2/3 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
Method:
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt
and fat.
During the last 4-5 minutes, add broccoli to pan; drain
well.Place both in a large bowl.
Combine milk and flour in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened; remove from heat.
Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan and remaining ingredients, whisking until smooth.
Add cheese mixture to pasta mixture; toss.
Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
Serves 4
ENJOY!


Pam this pasta look amazing, delicious!!
ReplyDeleteand all these cheese look amazing!
xo
Looks fantastic Pam and I love the sauce with low-fat ingredients. You could use the sauce on many things.
ReplyDeleteSam
Pam, Looks great! I like broccoli and I can see how this would work. It wouldn't be as pretty but cauliflower might work with this recipe as well... As for me, I'm sticking with the unhealthy version (with the added veggies), that is unless my doctor hollers at me! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteThis sounds delicious! A super idea for dinner! Thanks, Pam!
ReplyDeleteLooks very good Pam. I'm a great believer that by adding broccoli, kale, etc to any dish, it becomes healthy :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat ideas the substitutions!
ReplyDeleteI've always heard that a dash of nutmeg can really bring out the flavor in these dishes.... This dish looks tasty and the broccoli sure makes it sound wonderful....
ReplyDeleteNice sub outs.
ReplyDeleteI love broccoli with or without cheese! I love your healthier sauce options. :)
ReplyDeleteBroccoli is one of my most favourite veggie! Your pasta looks delicious, I would enjoy it very much indeed!
ReplyDeleteHi Pam,
ReplyDeleteLove your recipe..I make the same thing only I use mozzarella cheese instead of your cheddar. I put some red pepper flakes and I do not use the cream cheese. But I love your recipe as well..different flavors...Your photo looks delicious! A great dish for a Friday night during lent or anytime....thanks for sharing...Hope that you have a wonderful weekend dear friend....
Dottie :)
Really great way to eat broccoli! I like light and creamy version :)
ReplyDeleteYESSSSSS!!!!! Yum! Pasta and cheese are ok as long as you add broccoli! : ) Looks fantastic! I've been craving a cold veggie pasta lately. I think I will have to hook myself up tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend Pam.
Broccoli and Pasta are most definitely made for each other in my bok, Pam! when I was a kid, Broccoli and Macaroni were a staple, as a soup! It was delicious! I'm really liking this especially with the lighter version sauce.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, Pam...
This looks soo yummy!
ReplyDeleteStay warm!
M : )
A fantastic dish, Pam! Looks so creamy and delicious!
ReplyDeleteDear Pam, Sounds delicious! It is satisfying without too many calories.
ReplyDeleteKeep warm and cozy. It was snowing here all day!! and it is March!
Hope your weather is a bit better.
xoxoxo Catherine
This looks so rich and creamy, a perfect dish!
ReplyDeleteThis looks so rich and creamy, a perfect dish!
ReplyDeletethis is a foolproof way to incorporate some broccoli in my veggie-hating boyfriend's diet! bonus: i'd enjoy it too. :)
ReplyDelete