We’re big fans of lake perch ~ straight from Lake Michigan ~
mild tasting, bearing snowy white meat with no “fishy” odor like ocean
perch.
It’s on the cool side here, a good excuse for starting up
the oven yesterday, and baking the fish instead of grilling.
Now, here’s why I like this recipe so much: The breading surrounding the perch bakes
into a crispy crunchy coating ~ it’s the same mouthwatering texture of fried
fish, minus a plethora of fat and calories.
Adjust the seasonings to your liking; add red pepper flakes
if you prefer a little heat, or Parmesan cheese, if that’s what floats your
boat. And then simply bake
for a mouth-watering meal.
I hope you try it and like it as much as we do!
Baked-crisp Lake
Perch
Ingredients:
1½ pounds lake perch fillets
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1½ cups panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon dill weed
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
Cooking spray
Method:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Whisk butter and lemon juice in small bowl, brush on each
fillet.
In a zip lock, combine remaining ingredients and coat
fillets with mixture.
Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.
Arrange breaded fish on pan, skin side down.
Bake 12-15 minutes, until fish is crispy and flakes easily with a fork.
Serves 4

Pam, It's been a long time since we've had perch! They just aren't avaiable in the markets down here. The closest we can come are bluegill, brim, sunfish, etc., which are very good...but you have to catch them first! We would definitely add the heat to our breading mixture. Your finished product looks great! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteHow delicious! You are lucky to have such good fresh fish available.
ReplyDeleteThis looks delicious! I've only had lake perch in restaurants but will have to look for some (short of going fishing) to make at home.
ReplyDeleteBest,
Bonnie
Dear Pam, The weather is cooling here too; for the moment...
ReplyDeleteThe fish looks delicious. Oven fried is great. Blessings dear. Catherine
You could have fooled me by its appearance Pam. It does look fried, but oh boy, baked is SO much better than fried any day of the week.
ReplyDeleteSam
I love that coating!Evn on chicken!
ReplyDeletelooks great..my da used to come home with perch:)
What Sam said
ReplyDeleteYou have outdone yourself here. One of the best looking plates of fish I have ever seen. Looks so crispy and GOOD.
ReplyDeletePam, I love perch. That recipe sounds delightful. Susan
ReplyDeletePam look amazing and delicious ! I love that coating!!
ReplyDeleteDamn delicious baked fish!!!
ReplyDeletetender and moist inside and crusted outside, superb
Hello, Pam! I can't imagine being able to get fresh fish from a lake just next door! What a lovely treat! I love that you've made this healthy baked version of 'fish and chips', if you like. I think I'd just keep my plain and serve it with a little fresh lemon. Lovely!
ReplyDeleteIt looks really great! And it's bakes! Yummy!
ReplyDeleteWe love lake perch too and I'll certainly try your recipe Pam! Thanks for sharing it! Roz
ReplyDeleteI remember perch fishing with my family off the piers on Lake Michigan in my home down. There is nothing like lake perch! Your coating looks so delicious and I'm sure it would taste wonderful on any mild fish filet.
ReplyDeleteWe also get a lot of fresh, lake fish in Minnesota. This is perfect. I might just add Parmesan - it does float my boat!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if I've ever had perch.
ReplyDelete