I’ve hardly met a bean I don't like ~ these old-fashioned beans are my favorite!
I posted this recipe not long after this blog started, and
thought it deserved to be repeated.
I have no idea of the origin of the original recipe; it was tweaked way back when, and I’ve been making it for many years. It always serves us well. Bill and Bubba swear I make the
best-baked beans in the world, and I concur. ☺
![]() |
| Bubba, 1971, almost 3! |
Don’t be afraid of the molasses, baked beans aren’t baked beans without it! Dry mustard and vinegar provide a little kick and brown sugar sweetens it all up; chopped onions are a must, and crisp-fried bacon, just because…
![]() | |||
| Stir it up... |
These baked beans go with about anything, and should you have a slice of cornbread slathered with butter to join it; you’re the lucky one.
Perfect 4th of July fare, it will be on our table that day for sure!
Baked Beans, My Way
Printable recipe
Ingredients:
½ pound bacon
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ cup molasses
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 medium white onion, chopped
4 (16-ounce) cans pork and beans
½ pound bacon
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ cup molasses
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 medium white onion, chopped
4 (16-ounce) cans pork and beans
Method:
Fry bacon crisp, crumble and set aside.
Pour beans into a large bowl.
Add half of the bacon.
Add the remaining ingredients, one by one, stirring well after each addition.
Pour into a bean pot or casserole dish.
Top with remainder of bacon.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 3 hours. It will be thickened and bubbly.
Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Fry bacon crisp, crumble and set aside.
Pour beans into a large bowl.
Add half of the bacon.
Add the remaining ingredients, one by one, stirring well after each addition.
Pour into a bean pot or casserole dish.
Top with remainder of bacon.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 3 hours. It will be thickened and bubbly.
Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!
By the way, I don’t know about
where you are, but we had downpours and high winds; severe storms, off and on
this morning from 12:30 a.m. through 4:00 a.m., with a tornado warning and a
funnel cloud touching down in the next town. Luckily, very little damage, but it made for a sleepless
night!
More severe weather predicted for
this afternoon…




Pam, these beans do sound great. We love beans at this house too, and I have a special place for recipes that use canned pork and beans. thanks.
ReplyDeleteI believe I can smell these baking! Very similar recipe to mine (no cornstarch) that came from my mother. I have done them from scratch and we like these better.
ReplyDeleteWe have those storms in our forecast this evening and tonight. I'm doing laundry in case the basement gets water and/or we lose electricity. Welcome to summer in the midwest!!
Happy 4th to you and yours.
Best,
Bonnie
Bubba's so cute..
ReplyDeleteThese sound delish and easy peasy Pam!
Great looking beans Pam and they would be great with cornbread. I agree, they aren't baked beans without molasses.
ReplyDeleteSam
This is an almost identical recipe to my baked beans, except I do add a little chopped green pepper. I've always liked the canned beans in the recipe, I use Bush's.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your wonderful recipes with us.
Same storm system moved through here also, it dropped rain in bucket fulls :)
~Jo
That Bubba is a cutie at age 3 :) I have atually neer made baked beans from scratch and have always used canned and lots of other types now in my recipe. Love the molasses in these. My mouth is watering!
ReplyDeleteDoctoring canned beans is the way Bev likes to make hers. These look very good.
ReplyDeleteYum! I love baked beans!
ReplyDeleteStay safe with those storms hopping around!
Pam, You cook/create much like we do... Some store items are pretty good and just need to be jazzed up a bit to be terrific! Beans are a great example. Spagehetti sauce is another... We've had many guests ask for recipes...who have been stunned to learn that it was pre-packaged and then 'dressed' up. Take Care and Stay Dry, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteThose beans look so good!! Perfect for a picnic any time. :) Stay safe!
ReplyDeleteoh..golly......thanks soooooo much for sharing!!!
ReplyDeletethese look so good!!!..those pieces of bacon in it!!!
stay safe..and hope the weather is better.
I haven't seen this recipe before...they look great! Perfect for the 4th!
ReplyDeletePam,
ReplyDeleteThese brand look wonderful. We make a similar bean dish in the crock pot with bush's beans, and "dress them up". People love them.
Thank goodness the storms in our area weren't too bad, this time.
Have a great 4th of July!
I make a point of singing "Beans, beans, the musical fruit; the more you eat, the more you toot" every July 4th. Enjoy the holiday.
ReplyDeleteWe love beans in our house. So flippin' good. Yours looks great. Cheers and boogie boogie.
ReplyDeletePerfect compliment for grilling! Happy 4th Pam!
ReplyDeleteLove that Bean Pot Pam!!!
ReplyDeleteJust look how you've "doctored" up these beans. They sound so delicious and pretty darn easy too!
We just had a downpour here in central PA but it has just stopped and the sun is returning. I hear there are serious forecasts up the east coast though. Stay safe, Pam and have a safe and FUN, 4th...
THE best baked beans on the planet- and they only get better after a night in the fridge as leftovers!
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping that since you put this up that you're going to be making them over the Fourth?
Look delicious Pam!
ReplyDeleteHappy july fourth!
Scrumptious and comforting! this is a dish I love.
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Rosa
I love beans, thanks for sharing the recipe ~ Have a wonderful week ~
ReplyDeleteI think every baked bean or BBQ bean recipe is my favorite...I love them all!
ReplyDelete