Baked Cornbread-Stuffed Zucchini


I might live in the Midwest now, but I’m a Southerner at heart!




One of the reasons; besides, delicious cornbread, a warmer climate, friendly people and good food, and did I mention cornbread (?), is that Southern Living has been delivered in our mailbox ever since I was married ~ way back when Mom gave a subscription of it to me.

Which leads me to zucchini and this recipe!  




The gardens are starting to fill up with the vegetable; consequently, this slightly adapted recipe from SL is perfect for the season!

They are tasty zucchinis stuffed with a delicious blend of corn, onions, garlic, cheddar cheese, chicken and spices.  Choose squash that are uniform in shape so they will cook evenly.  The best kind are long, straight and not too skinny.




I will admit there was one problem with my finished dish:  I bought ready-made cornbread from the grocery store to speed up the process, unfortunately, I did not sample it first.  Too late, I realized the cornbread was very sweet, sort of like Jiffy mix, cake-like.  I’m not a fan of sweet cornbread, and seldom add sugar to the batter when I make it.




Southern cornbread is traditionally made with little or no sugar (I do claim to top it with butter and a swirl of honey at times) while northern cornbread is sweet and more cake-like. 




In Bill’s opinion and mine also, this zucchini mixture would have been much better with savory cornbread, the finished dish was too sweet for us.  And it was a touch on the dry side; the next time, I would add ½ cup chicken broth to the mixture, somewhere along the line.  It's definitely worth another try!

Whether you get your zucchini straight from the garden, or the farmers’ market, stock up on it and enjoy this cornbread-stuffed zucchini.

Just pay more attention than I did as to what type of cornbread you make it with!



Enjoy!




Cornbread-Stuffed Zucchini

Cornbread makes everything better!
prep time: 20 MINScook time: 45 MINStotal time: 65 mins

INGREDIENTS:


  • 3 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread (about 10 ounces)
  • 4 zucchini
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
  • 16 ounces ground chicken
  • 1 small red onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced (2 tablespoons)
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • ½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
  • 6 ounces cheddar cheese (about 1½ cups)
  • ½ cup fresh corn
  • 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

INSTRUCTIONS


  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. Spread cornbread in a even layer on one end of a baking sheet. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller or spoon, scoop out zucchini pulp to equal 3 cups pulp, leaving a ½-inch shell intact. Coarsely chop 1½ cups of pulp, reserve remaining pulp for another use.
  3. Brush zucchini shells with 2 tablespoons of oil. Place shells on baking sheet with cornbread, and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Place in 375° oven and bake until cornbread is lightly browned, about 10-11 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
  4. Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add ground chicken to skillet, cook, stirring to crumble, until browned, about 6 minutes.
  5. Add onion, garlic, paprika, pepper, reserved 1½ cups zucchini pulp and remaining ¾ teaspoon salt to skillet, cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 3 minutes.
  6. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and stir in cornbread, cheese, corn and parsley. Divide chicken mixture evenly among zucchini shells. Place shells on a baking sheet.
  7. Bake stuffed zucchini at 350° until filling is lightly browned and zucchini is tender, 25 minutes.
  8. Serve
Created using The Recipes Generator



33 comments:

  1. Your stuffed zucchini look wonderful!
    I've noticed the red onion among your ingredients. Lately, I've become fond of red (sometimes called purple) onions. They are sharper in flavour than the white/yellow ones when eaten raw - but
    milder, even sweet when cooked. Anyway, it's not only the flavor; in a veggie salad, rings of red /purple onions add nicely to its decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duta! I really like red/purple onions. The flavor is great and it's colorful too. Take care and have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Pam! We've a few zucchini given to us by a neighbor; this sounds great! Like you, though, we are not fans of sweet cornbread, and add no sugar when I bake it. No flour, either, so it doesn't really have much of a cakelike texture. I must give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nellie! It would surely be better with your cornbread, and no flour in it works for me also. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  3. I eat lots of zucchini at this time of year..this is a great recipe to use this summer squash. The cornbread filling sounds fantastic, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! Zucchini is just one great thing about summer!

      Delete
  4. I have been following you for a while but never commented. There is a great line from a movie I saw (wish I remember the title) "One day you're gonna wake up and your cornbread is gonna be sweet and your tea ain't"
    Sounds delicious but I will use my "southern" cornbread recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Happy to "meet" you! That's a great movie line, wonder what the movie was! Bet your cornbread is great too! And I'm glad you commented, thank you!

      Delete
  5. Pam, My wife and I would agree with ya'll on the cornbread! Especially for this stuffed zucchini recipe, savory cornbread would definitely in order... Love the recipe and the concept! I'm adding this dish to our lexicon of meals to make for dinner... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an easy dish to make, Dave and I hope you both like it! Savory cornbread rules! Have a wonderful rest of the week!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! I'm always on the lookout for zucchini recipes. Take care

      Delete
  7. I am fascinated by this recipe! I'm a GRITS (girl raised in the south) and have never had cornbread stuffed in a zucchini! How clever :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, Tricia! I love grits too and even converted Bill! This is a good dish with cornbread! Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I love stuffing veggies! Your zucchinis look absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katerina! I do too, love the flavors! Take care

      Delete
  9. Stuffed zucchinis with savory cornbread, that sounds delicious. My husband loves cornbread but won't eat zucchinis. Maybe I can turn him into a zucchini lover with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerlinde! This just might work for your husband! The cornbread stands out, hope you try it! Take care

      Delete
  10. Dear Pam, I like cornbread that is not too sweet as well. I love it with the honey as you do drizzled on top of the butter or cream cheese.
    I love summer dishes like this one and I guess it is the kid in me but I love the zucchini boat filled and you can eat the dish too! Have a week and stay well my friend. xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks Catherine! And cream cheese on cornbread, have to try that, sounds really good! Summer dishes are the best! Thanks for the visit and take care. xoxo

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful idea to use cornbread for stuffing in zucchini, I always reserve that for winter veggies, I need to be more creative, sorry it was too sweet. I am more of a savory person too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheri! I can eat cornbread any time, year round! And I like savory too! Take care

      Delete
  12. Hi Pam, your comfort food look so inviting and delicious. Nice pictures. It great to have a garden of vegetables and fruits where we can harvest fresh whenever we need it. Off course we have to put some hard work in order to get some return. :))

    Have a nice day, regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia! There's nothing better than a garden full of veggies and fruits! Unfortunately, we have way too much shade in the yard for a garden now, and I miss having a garden. Dad always had gardens too and it was great!
      You have a wonderful rest of the week!

      Delete
  13. I love cornbread and I had no idea that there was a difference. I think I might be a northerner. lol. The next time we are house browsing in Tenn I am going out for cornbread!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie! Yes, there's a big difference in cornbread. TN would be a great place to live, we've thought about it! Take care

      Delete
  14. I will certainly try this and I would have to make my own bread as I have never seen it in the shops here. We have masses of all veggies in the garden at present including zucchini! Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! Ready made cornbread is in all the grocery stores here, and I imagine it's all sweet like the one I bought. Lucky you with the garden! That would be great. Take care

      Delete
  15. Love corn bread, and I'll eat the Northern kind but much prefer the Southern. Anyway, what a neat recipe -- just loaded with flavor. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! Yes, to cornbread! With the veggies it was just a little too sweet this time though. :-) Have a great day!

      Delete
  16. We love stuffed veggies at our house. Your stuffed zucchini looks great! The addition of cornbread is quite creative. I grew up in the Midwest on the Jiffy mix. I moved to Memphis for a few years and received quite an education on Southern cornbread (and of course the debate about yellow vs. white cornmeal). Looks like you and Bill had a great dinner (even with the sweet cornbread)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cali, we did! Southerners definitely know how to debate cornbread and cornmeal too! And then there's finely ground or stone ground... 😌 And I bet you had all kinds of good barbecue in Memphis! Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  17. The cornbread stuffed zucchini looks yummy. But I agree with you I would rather have a savory cornbread than sweet in a recipe like this. I really love recipes for stuffed zucchini, it a great way to use the zucchini in the garden.

    ReplyDelete

πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’

The smells of slow cooking spread around the house and impart a unique warmth matched only by the flavour of the food.
~ Yotam Ottolenghi

πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam

πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’





Christmas cookies and happy hearts ~

that is the way

the holiday starts!




DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴑᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴑᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍΙͺΙ΄Ι΄Ιͺᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍΙͺΙ΄Ι΄Ιͺᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

α΄α΄α΄α΄„Κœα΄‡Κ€ ❤ Κ€Ιͺᴘ ❤

α΄α΄α΄α΄„Κœα΄‡Κ€ ❀ Κ€Ιͺᴘ ❀
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews