all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Peppermint-Candy Sugar Cookies


The scent and flavor of peppermint 
is prominent in my mind 
when I think of Christmas, 
and this little cookie isn’t afraid to flaunt its 
great peppermint taste!




The recipe is adapted from a Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookie Cookbook.  It’s a twist on basic sugar cookie dough that is shaped into balls, then rolled in crushed peppermint candy, before baking.

Crush the candy in a plastic bag to avoid having a mess, and bake the cookies on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets, to avoid another mess.  





To make larger cookies:  form rounded tablespoonfuls of dough into balls before rolling in crushed candy; bake for about 14 minutes.

The cookies have a refreshing taste and a festive look.  For an extra holiday kick, I added a little dose of peppermint extract.

They bake into a crisp cookie with a good little crunch ~ they’ll almost melt in your mouth, really!

Peppermint-Candy Sugar Cookies
Printable recipe

Ingredients:

 1½ cups flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon coarse salt
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
4 ounces flat round peppermint candies, about 28 discs
2 tablespoons coarse sanding sugar

Method:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
With a mixer on medium speed, beat butter with granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Beat in egg, vanilla and peppermint extracts until just blended, scraping down sides of bowl.
Reduce spead to low and beat in flour mixture until combined.
Refrigerate dough until firm, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, place peppermints in a resealable plastic bag and finely crush with a meat mallet.
Transfer to a shallow bowl and mix with sanding sugar.
Form rounded teaspoons of dough into balls.
Roll in crushed-candy mixture to coat.
Place 2” apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
Bake until edges are starting to brown, about 11 minutes.
Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
(Gently break off any bits of melted candy from edges of cookies, if necessary.)
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container, between sheets of waxed or parchment paper up to 1 week.
Makes about 30 cookies.



ENJOY!


45 comments:

  1. Pam, This could become my wife's go to Christmas cookie! She is a peppermint freak and loves cookies... Can't miss! I'll bet that you don't miss the snow and cold weather this winter. El Nino is being good to the central and eastern USA. (So far!) Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave! You should bake a batch for her, they're great! Don't miss the snow and cold weather at all! It's crazy warm for this time of year and each day of that is one day less of the other. Take care and Happy Baking! :-)

      Delete
  2. Funny I just ate a chocolate mint cookie so it is like I can smell the peppermint in your cookies lol. Great and simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, Evelyne, good one! Mint and chocolate work for me too! Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  3. Those sound both easy and very decorative! I know I should bake cookies but I'm not getting around to it.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae! They're good and easy for sure! Hope you get around to baking a batch. Take care

      Delete
  4. Oh I definitely need to buy candy canes! These cookies look fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun, Medeja! Candy cane heaven! :-)

      Delete
  5. My Littles love mint! I do have candy canes.. for the candy cane tea:)And candy cane hot chocolate:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peppermint rules, Monique! Take care

      Delete
  6. These cookies are pretty and perfect for Christmas. I love the crushed peppermint candy on the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! They're festive and good with a little crunch.

      Delete
  7. Whew! I'm back. I had to jump on over to pin these delightful cookies. After all, Candy Cane Day is right around the corner, lol...These cookies really do sound yummy Pam and yes, they sound pretty darn easy to make too.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    Just in case I don't make it back before Christmas Pam, wishing you and yours a safe and happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you, Louise! Candy Cane Day works for me! Yes, the cookies are easy and sure to delight. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

      Delete
  8. My two favorites, peppermint and
    sugar cookies!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melinda! Mine too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. YUM!!! I'll take 3 dozen of these! Merci for the great recipe, cher! So glad that you're having warm weather. It's been great down here, too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could pass them through my laptop to you, Marguerite! They're as good as the "warm" weather we're having now. Take care

      Delete
  10. Dear Pam..
    I love Candy Canes, and keep a box for during the year...These looks fabulous and I love the recipe. Plus I love the idea of smashing the candy canes, you can get out your frustrations... Thanks for sharing Pam...
    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dottie! I never thought of that, getting rid of frustrations, right on spot! I need to start saving a box for the year now also. Take care

      Delete
  11. I found this just in time - today starts "cookie baking" week. Love these! And love how pretty they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia! I love cookie baking week! Happy baking!

      Delete
  12. Definitely is peppermint season. Love its flavor! So I know I'll love this. Really creative, not to mention yummy. ;-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John! I love the flavor too! You will love the cookies! Take care

      Delete
  13. Pam, you've outdone yourself. I love peppermint -- drinking coffee with peppermint creamer right now -- and these wouldn't be safe for a minute with me around. They look irresistible. Happy holiday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! I need to get some of that creamer, sounds wonderful! The cookies are packed with flavor. :-) Happy Holidays to you!

      Delete
  14. Lovely festive cookies! I would to snack on these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! Perfect snacking food! :-)

      Delete
  15. I have that cookbook :) I just finished making the candy cane cookies and use the same method to crush the candies. This recipe sounds so much simpler but with the same, great taste! Wonderful idea, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Susan, I'm glad you like it! About any cookie with candy canes sounds awesome to me. Take care

      Delete
  16. Yum! I made a similar cookie last week, but added some white chocolate chips. Yours look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! White chocolate chips would be great, sounds like a winner!

      Delete
  17. Love these cookies Pam! Wanted to stop in and wish you a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tricia! I'm glad you stopped by and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete
  18. Hi Pam, love your delightful cookies, the pink colour look so sweet.

    Merry Christmas to you and family. Have a great holiday.
    Warmest regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Amelia! Here's wishing Merry Christmas to you and your family. Have fun and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know my grandchildren would really enjoy these cookies. Also a little chubby fellow in a red suit. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great flavored cookie to enjoy during this Christmas season! Merry Christmas to you & your family, Pam!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam