Bubba’s Homemade Summer Sausage, Updated



Bubba tried something new with his summer sausage.  I didn’t think it could be improved; however, he added pork to the mix this time, plus more spices, so now it has been taken up a notch.  
 
 


Nothing is better than fresh homemade, and I especially like this recipe because we know exactly what is in the summer sausage! 
 

If you’ve been following my blog the last 5 years, you probably know that “Bubba” is really our older son, Bill, Jr., and that he has been making delicious summer sausage over the years, like this.  

The butcher at our local Italian butcher shop grinds the beef and pork together to blend the meats thoroughly.  Use 75% ground beef.  Summer sausage requires the fat, not only for flavor, but also to hold the log together.  Using a leaner grade of beef will result in dry crumbly summer sausage.  


Mixed
Rolled and ready to bake
Voila! Ready!

Do not substitute regular table salt for the Morton Tender Quick Cure; they’re not the same thing.

It’s easy to make, but takes a little time; 5 days to cure, with kneading the meat once a day for a couple of minutes.  

Casing is not needed for the finished rolls. 

It’s well worth the wait, good and spicy!  It’s incredibly delicious ~ I haven’t bought summer sausage once since Bubba started making it, it’s that good! 




Way to go, Bubba!  It’s delicious!!!


Bubba's homemade summer sausage, Summer sausage
Appetizer, Snack, Charcuterie board
Rolls: 11
Bubba's Homemade Summer Sausage, Updated

Bubba's Homemade Summer Sausage, Updated

This is Bubba's updated Homemade Summer Sausage. It includes ground pork, and a larger amount of spices, making it mighty tasty!
Prep time: 10 MinTotal time: 10 Min

Ingredients

  • 10 pounds 75% ground beef
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 10½ tablespoons Morton Tender Quick Cure
  • 3 tablespoons whole mustard seed
  • 6 tablespoons coarse black pepper
  • 6 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 4 tablespoons liquid smoke
  • 2½ tablespoons crushed red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons onion powder

Method

Notes:

Overall time: 5 days



Created using The Recipes Generator


Enjoy!

 

 

48 comments:

  1. Pam, I love summer sausage but I've never tried making my own. Looks and sounds great! Thanks for the recipe and the idea... FYI...27 degrees here tonight! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! Oh, chilly there too! Take care

      Delete
  2. Looks and sounds very good - I'll save this and may try it in my smoker (less the liquid smoke) at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry! It works great in the smoker too, he has done that many times; just way too cold here to do it now.

      Delete
  3. I forgot to ask - are the mustard seeds left whole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, yes, whole mustard seeds. I will add that, thanks!

      Delete
  4. I have never made summer sausage before! This looks so good- definitely better than any I could buy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! It is really good and you know exactly what is in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh PAM!!!! is our mouth EVER waterning...homemade summer sausage....AND the recipe :) LOVE IT! We will try this for sure...can NOT wait (can you tell we are so very giddy with excitement over this....and our husbands will adore us for making it we're sure!!)
    Karla & Karrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, girls! I'm glad you like it. It's homemade and good. Have a great fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to try this one day, Pam! I've never attempted making a cured meat before and would love to see how it tastes. It sure looks good! I wonder if it would be alright to halve the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, yes you can halve the recipe, see the link above that i posted and maybe it will help. Hope you like it should you make it!

      Delete
  9. Homemade summer sausage?! It's got to taste amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well aren't you the lucky lady! This looks and sounds pretty fantastic - yes please! Can I give you my address :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricia, thanks! Wish I could pass a roll of it through this laptop to you!

      Delete
  11. wow homemade sausages!! Really impressive and I bet they must be particularly fresh and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, the good thing is, you know what's in the sausage. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  12. Impressive, Pam. Bubba's summer sausage recipe looks delicious and not all that impossible to make. Good directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, thanks! It's truly easy to make, just time consuming with the curing.

      Delete
  13. Oh how I wish that my husband and I had the ambition to make home made sausage like this Pam....but instead, we wait for our trips back to the Midwest to buy this specialty that no one knows how to make here in the South or how delicious it is! You are so amazing to do be able to do this and to ENJOY this and SHARE with your family!
    Happy Spring!
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pam, my husband would go crazy for this, he keeps talking about making his own sausage, will print this for him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no isea one could make their own summer sausage! Tell Bubba it is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So interesting this sausages...I never even got close to make this...they sure look delicious Pam! Thanks for all the instructions.
    Have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Pam, I used to make sausage with my dad when I was a girl. There really is nothing like homemade sausage.
    Sounds delicious.
    Happy Easter dear Pam.
    xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post! So interesting. AND looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this looks amazing! I would love to try this! Now I got to find some Morton Tender Quick Cure!
    Thanks to you and Bubba for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never made my own summer sausage before. What a fun idea! And what an interesting mix of flavor. This sounds terrific -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never thought of making homemade sausages, but it makes sense. Fresh, and you know exactly what's in them! Great idea, Bubba!

    ReplyDelete
  22. simply damn delicious!!!
    this recipe is my next project
    Dedy@Dentist Chef

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love home-made sausage and this sounds wonderful. Hope you are both well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. EACH PICTURE INSPIRED ME TO COPY THIS RECIPE, SO THAT I CAN TRY IT OUT. GOSH....MY KIDDOS WOULD LOVE IT. KUDDOS TO BUBBA!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mr. Sweet would dearly love this, I'm sure. He loves summer sausage.
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding anniversary ...:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Pam, I just stopped by to see what you've been up to in your Midwestern kitchen! Hope that all is well and that you are enjoying a lovely spring!
    xo
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  27. Replies
    1. Venison is a dryer meat, you would have to add fat to it, maybe part 75% or 80%. Sorry this is a bit late.

      Delete
  28. At what temp and how long do you smoke it for and what chips would you use??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's done in a 170° oven, no chips used. This is not on the grill.

      Delete
  29. Thank you for Sharing this recipe. I've been looking for it for months. Had 1 that I loved. But, lost. Thank you Again
    Debbie Haddix-Sedlarik 12/27/2020

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can not find the Morton tender quick do you happen to know a substitute that would work just as well?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can you do this in a smoker?

    ReplyDelete

🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

The trouble is, you cannot grow just one zucchini. Minutes after you plant a single seed, hundreds of zucchini will barge out of the ground and sprawl around the garden, menacing the other vegetables. At night, you will be able to hear the ground quake as more and more zucchinis erupt.
~ Dave Barry

🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒 🍒🍒🍒

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.

Keep smiling!
Pam



You know,

nobody can ever

cook as good as

your Mama.

~ Paula Deen


You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook
You know, nobody can ever cook as good as your mama. Paula Deen
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paula_deen_431843?src=t_cook

DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

Total Pageviews

09 10