all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bubba’s Homemade Summer Sausage, Perfected





You’re probably asking why would anyone bother to make their own summer sausage.  The reason is, because it is so very delicious!

It is much better than the store bought version, cheaper also and you know exactly what it consists of.  You control the ingredients ~ no added chemicals~ and flavor it as you like.  It reminds me of growing up on the farm with Dad making our own pork sausage, not similar to supermarket sausage at all.

Bubba has been refining his summer sausage recipe and has hit on the exact proportions for it.   It is easy, it just takes time; requiring 5 days to cure.  There is no casing involved.  Do not use a grade of ground beef with very low fat content as the result will be dry and crumbly.  Do not substitute salt for the Morton Tender Quick Cure ~ it is not the same thing!
 

It’s a great summer sausage that you just slice and serve with cheese and crackers or by itself.  I love the great flavor and the texture also!





Bubba’s Homemade Summer Sausage

Ingredients:

4-1/4 pounds 75%-80% ground beef
4 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick Cure
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seed
3 tablespoons coarse black pepper
2-3 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons liquid smoke

Method:

Knead all ingredients together, mixing completely.  
Cover with foil and put in fridge.
Knead, re-cover, and put back in fridge for days 2-4.  Repeat each day.
On the fifth day, knead and then roll into 4-5 loaves (I roll it out on a board and put some pressure into it so the meat packs together without air gaps).
Place on broiler pan, and put in oven at 170-180 degrees.  
For 80% beef I've been using 170 for ~8 hours.  
For the 75% stuff, I went 180 for ~9 hours.  Turn every two hours.
Remove from oven, place on wire rack, and let cool to room temperature.  
When it's at room temperature I put it rack and all into the fridge.  
Make sure to leave a plate under the rack while it's cooling to catch the drippings (in the fridge as well).  
Once it's cooled to fridge temperature, remove from rack and put in bags.  
Freeze or keep in fridge (especially due to lowering of the curing salt).


Good job, Bubba!  It’s the best!!!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!




Pin It

38 comments:

Annie Jones said...

You wrote, "4 slightly mounded tablespoons (actual spoons, not measuring spoon)...I guess it's probably 3 - 3-1/2 actual tablespoons?"

Of what? I'm guessing it must be the salt, since it's not listed elsewhere. Is it a specific kind of salt?

Thanks for posting this. :) I need to try this with some deer meat. I'll probably mix it half and half with the fattiest ground beef I can find so that it won't be too dry.

Pam said...

Annie Jones, sorry for the confusion. Yes, it 4 tablespoons of Morton Tender Quick Cure. I did some research and a heaping tablespoon from a flatware set equals 1 measured tablespoon. I will be changing the recipe. This would be great with deer meat and I would definitely use the fattiest ground beef. Let me know how you like it!

Jennifurla said...

WOW, I would never think to make this. I just love a summer sausage.

Pam said...

Jennifurla, try it. It's amazing, you won't believe how good it is!

jose manuel said...

Que rico se ve, esto se ve delicioso del todo.

Feliz 2011

SnoWhite said...

We just pulled out my parent's summer sausage recipe... very similar to this one. We love it!

Big Dude said...

Wow Pam - Great post for me. I've been making my own sausage and just shaping it into logs as I don' have a stuffer. I've often said I wish I had one so I could make summer sausage, but it never occurred to me to just make the logs. I'll give the recipe a try.

Pegasuslegend said...

wow this is great thanks for posting this one'!

Gloria said...

Absolutaley nice dear Pam!! huggs gloria

Pam said...

Nothing beats homemade sausage!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

My dad used to make his own sausages like this. I can still see intestines being filled...ugh.
This type looks delish, and he made something very similar to this as well. He smoked his meats in an old refrigerator. Lordy...we're lucky we weren't all poisoned by the chrome on the racks! He died in '71, so it's been many a year since this flavor has touched any of our palettes.
Thanks for the memory. This doesn't look too hard to make...maybe I'll give it a whirl!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I've never tried making my own sausage but I certainly can tell the benefits already! It sounds great!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

This sounds magical and I would love to make it, but Morton Tender Quick Cure is a total mystery to me and I am not sure we can get liquid smoke either :( Diane

Peggy Arteberry said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! I think I will try it this coming weekend. I wonder if using ground deer meat would work? Hugs

Annie Jones said...

Thanks so much for the clarification. I'll be trying this sometime soon. :)

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Way to go Bubba! Cooking sure runs in your family. I have never even considered making my own summer sausage, but now I will have to give it a try. I like the fact that there are no add chemicals. When you read the list of ingredients on the store bought packages, it can get a little scary!

Pamela said...

Homemade is always the best, in this case I'll just have to watch the picture, no way to find those products here. ! Big hugs

Susan said...

Start slicing, Pam. I am coming over with the cheese and crackers!! Maybe even beer. YUMMY

Happy New Year to you.

kim said...

My husband and the guys from the neighborhood get together every December to make pork sausage, they are looking at expanding and doing another "party" in the Spring doing beef, I will share your recipe with them it sounds great

teresa said...

oh how fun, i would never think to make it myself, but it looks delicious!

scrambledhenfruit said...

Homemade is always better! Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe. :)

StephenC said...

Boy does this make me hungry. I'll bookmark it for future reference 'cause I'm all about clearing out fridge, freezer and pantry in anticipation of a move across the country. Back atcha in February.

bellini valli said...

Amen to being able to boost the falvour and knowing what goes into such a delicious treat. Have a woinderful New Year celebration Pam!!!! see you in the kitchen in 2011.

Cathy said...

Homemade sausage would be such a treat. I can imagine that it is delicious and I would enjoy it all the more knowing exactly what the ingredients are.

Have a very Happy New Year, Pam.

Chris said...

Politics and sausage......enough said, ha ha.

I need to find Tenderquick around here because I want to cure some Canadian bacon.

Tender Quick is also a cheating way to get a bbq "smoke ring" (the pink outer tint) on roasted meats that really weren't BBQ'd. I haven't tried it myself but I've seen it done, has to do with the nitrates or something.

Monet said...

Silly me would never think to make my own summer sausage. It was one of my favorite eats growing up (sausage, cheese and crackers...so yummy!) Thank you for sharing this recipe with me. I wish you and yours a blessed weekend and new year!

Marisa Midori said...

This looks absolutely delicious! I love me some cheese and crackers and summer sausage. Happy New Year!

Sue said...

Wishing you a Happy New Year from Sue and Nick! Thanks for sharing such great recipes with us :-)

Buttercup said...

Wishes for a very happy and healthy new year. Looking forward to your 2011 recipes!

Joanne said...

I love sausage but don't love all of the mystifying ingredients that you often see in it. This homemade version totally solves that dilemma! Sounds delicious!

Karen said...

We made some venison sausage links the other day. I'd love to give this a try with venison mixed with some fatty beef or pork. I hope I can remember it next time we go to make sausage!

Suldog said...

Oh, my... I never even considered ever making my own summer sausage. I figured it was akin to trying to make my own manna or something. Now I am thinking that my life may be fulfilled :-)

Janie said...

Haha..Pam, I would probably never ask that question!

Whatever you make for yourself is always better...even if only because you know what's going in it!

My son's would Love this...

hbs1991 said...

Boy Pam does this ever sound good! I have always wanted to make things like this and most guys around here do but they are deer hunters, I am no hunter though. So I never get the good homemade stuff, but since this recipe uses beef I would love to try it out and I well.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh please, please don't hate me but 'guess I'm one of the few who doesn't like sausage of any form or fashion. I know...I know...even my own mother thinks I'm crazy!!!

God bless ya sweetie and have yourself a fantastic week!!!

We're smack in the middle of harvest. Come on down, ya'll can help me feed the crews!!! We (I...I'm the only cook here) serve 'em up chuck wagon style in the fields. 'Just sayin'... :o)

Dione Nye said...

I didn’t know you can make your own summer sausages at home before reading your blog! Thanks for sharing your recipe. My dad and I love eating summer sausages with cheese and crackers. I’m a little intrigued though. Why is it named summer sausages when it’s so popular during winter and Christmas time?

Julia Carlson said...

Perfected summer sausage sounds wonderful! I would love to make some like this. We seem to always buy it around Christmas. http://www.delidirect.com/beef-summer-sausage

Lynn@Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

This sounds great! If I can find the Morton Tender Quick Cure I'll whip some up for football season:@)