Cheesy Penne w/Broccoli



What a way to eat your broccoli!

I’m thinking broccoli and pasta are made for each other, a great duo as this Cooking Light recipe proves.




This tasty sauce is similar to an alfredo sauce but, without heavy cream and butter.  Low-fat cream cheese and skim milk are the substitutes, with Dijon mustard and seasonings flavoring it up.




Any short pasta can be substituted here, with rotini and farfalle being good choices.  I think next time; I’ll throw some minced garlic into the mix.

Try this and enjoy your broccoli!


Cheesy Penne w/Broccoli
Adapted

Ingredients:

8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
5 cups broccoli florets (about 1 medium head)
1 1/3 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tablespoons 1/3-less fat cream cheese
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
Dash ground nutmeg
2/3 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded

Method:

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
During the last 4-5 minutes, add broccoli to pan; drain well.
Place both in a large bowl.
Combine milk and flour in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened; remove from heat.
Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan and remaining ingredients, whisking until smooth.
Add cheese mixture to pasta mixture; toss.
Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. 

Serves 4


ENJOY!







Comments

  1. Pam this pasta look amazing, delicious!!
    and all these cheese look amazing!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic Pam and I love the sauce with low-fat ingredients. You could use the sauce on many things.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, Looks great! I like broccoli and I can see how this would work. It wouldn't be as pretty but cauliflower might work with this recipe as well... As for me, I'm sticking with the unhealthy version (with the added veggies), that is unless my doctor hollers at me! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! A super idea for dinner! Thanks, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very good Pam. I'm a great believer that by adding broccoli, kale, etc to any dish, it becomes healthy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always heard that a dash of nutmeg can really bring out the flavor in these dishes.... This dish looks tasty and the broccoli sure makes it sound wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love broccoli with or without cheese! I love your healthier sauce options. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Broccoli is one of my most favourite veggie! Your pasta looks delicious, I would enjoy it very much indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam,
    Love your recipe..I make the same thing only I use mozzarella cheese instead of your cheddar. I put some red pepper flakes and I do not use the cream cheese. But I love your recipe as well..different flavors...Your photo looks delicious! A great dish for a Friday night during lent or anytime....thanks for sharing...Hope that you have a wonderful weekend dear friend....
    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great way to eat broccoli! I like light and creamy version :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YESSSSSS!!!!! Yum! Pasta and cheese are ok as long as you add broccoli! : ) Looks fantastic! I've been craving a cold veggie pasta lately. I think I will have to hook myself up tomorrow.
    Have a great weekend Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Broccoli and Pasta are most definitely made for each other in my bok, Pam! when I was a kid, Broccoli and Macaroni were a staple, as a soup! It was delicious! I'm really liking this especially with the lighter version sauce.

    Thanks for sharing, Pam...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks soo yummy!

    Stay warm!

    M : )


    ReplyDelete
  14. A fantastic dish, Pam! Looks so creamy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Pam, Sounds delicious! It is satisfying without too many calories.
    Keep warm and cozy. It was snowing here all day!! and it is March!
    Hope your weather is a bit better.
    xoxoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so rich and creamy, a perfect dish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so rich and creamy, a perfect dish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is a foolproof way to incorporate some broccoli in my veggie-hating boyfriend's diet! bonus: i'd enjoy it too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

_________________________

"We plan, we toil, we suffer – in the hope of what? A camel-load of idol’s eyes? The title deeds of Radio City? The empire of Asia? A trip to the moon? No, no, no, no. Simply to wake just in time to smell coffee and bacon and eggs."
~ J.B. Priestly
_________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Popular Posts