Rich and Creamy Buckeye Candy ~ OHIO!



After we moved to Louisville, when I was a teenager, Dad gave me several Buckeye nuts for good luck ~ I still have them to this day, with one being in my purse all the time.  They always remind me of him…

  

I’m a Buckeye at heart ~ was born in Ohio, lived there through my early years; my extended family still lives there.  It’s almost a shame ~ I’ve never made Buckeye Candy until now. 



There are about a zillion recipes over the Internet for this delicious confection; this one belongs to Jif.  It’s not a candy that is made often in this neck of the woods, so that makes it even more of a treat with it’s taste similar to Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.



The buckeyes are dipped in chocolate in a manner to duplicate the nut from the Buckeye tree, the state tree of Ohio.  They have a smooth peanut butter filling that is coated with rich semi-sweet chocolate.  It’s an easy recipe, which you will probably want to double like I do. 



Maybe these sweet little candies will bring a person good luck, just like the real Buckeyes do!


Buckeyes
Adapted

Ingredients:

1½ cups creamy peanut butter (I use Jif)
½ cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
3-4 cups powdered sugar (I used almost 3½)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening

Method:

Combine peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt in large bowl.
Beat with an electric mixer on LOW until blended.
Add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating until blended.
Beat in additional powdered sugar until mixture, when shaped into a ball, will stay on a toothpick.
Shape into 1-inch balls.
Refrigerate 1 hour.
Place chocolate chips and shortening in microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave on medium for 30 seconds, stir.
Repeat until mixture is smooth.
Reheat as needed while coating peanut butter balls.
Insert toothpick in peanut butter ball.
Dip ¾ of ball into chocolate, leaving top uncovered to resemble a buckeye; remove excess.
Place on wax paper-lined try.
Remove toothpick and smooth over holes.
Refrigerate until firm.
Makes about 4-5 dozen

Pam’s note:  The chocolate adheres well when the peanut butter balls are VERY COLD and the chocolate is VERY HOT.  Dip them immediately; don’t let them sweat, as the chocolate won’t stick.  They’re easy to make, and sooo good!




ENJOY!







Comments

  1. Lovely memories and sounds delicious:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these! I have a post coming up with PB Bon Bons. I think our recipe is pretty close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be checking out those bon bons, Laurie. Sounds great!

      Delete
  3. Do they taste like Reeses?:)
    They look great..almost like chestnuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monique, they do taste like Reeses but even more so, a stronger chocolate taste, with the PB, I think.

      Delete
  4. hi dear Pam, i already saw those pretty littles pieces of heaven on facebook, and i came here to check out the recipe, and it seems to be easy to make them! :) thank you and have a great week , kisses!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, you're a sweetie!

      Delete
  5. These are new to me and I know my peanut butter loving husband would love these.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, glad you know them now and can make them for your hubbie! If, he likes PB and chocolate, he'll like these goodies!

      Delete
  6. Uh-oh. I live in Ann Arbor. But they look delicious anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it doesn't make any difference, Mae!

      Delete
  7. A friend of mine here in Australia is from Ohio and when he came for Thanksgiving dinner I surprised him with a plate of these. Australians as a rule don't eat chocolate and peanut butter together so there were a lot of rolled eyes but HIS eyes lit up. I was definitely a hero that day. I think it's time to make them again. These look better than mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Maureen! You were a hit that day for sure. I hope you liked them also.

      Delete
  8. I have never had these! I love your recipe Pam, very interesting. I have only had chestnuts so far, I would love to try these and with chocolate.. wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alida, you should try them. Chocolate is a good thing.

      Delete
  9. I was re-reading your post and the recipe.....when I noticed that my first comment was not there. I remember now, just as I was commenting, my phone rang! I evidently did not press publish! anyways.....these are so neat looking and who doesn't love chocolate and PB.. I have a Buckeye too....given to me by my dad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shug, love it that your dad gave you a buckeye too! I'm glad you came back after your phone call.

      Delete
  10. These look amazing! I am a sucker for the peanut butter and chocolate combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathleen, thanks! I'm a sucker for that too. Yum!

      Delete
  11. We have a daughter who makes these sometimes. It isn't good for me to have them in the house, but hubby really loves them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good your daughter can make them for him, Nellie.

      Delete
  12. Your buckeyes look wonderful! They happen to be a family favorite! I haven’t made them in years…I think I have to correct that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, they're a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  13. I have never had a Buckeye candy! I surely will love them because of peanut butter. They look scrumptious, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie. You should try them then.

      Delete
  14. I have had these before and they are hard to resist! Peanut butter and chocolate together just can't be beat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember those nuts. I used to collect them walking home from school in Michigan when I was a kid. Must confess I've never made the candy before. Looks delicious, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, they're unique for sure. If you like PB, you'll probably like the candy.

      Delete
  16. Hi Pam!
    I LOVE Buckeyes even more than Reese's and Lord knows how I adore them!!! I haven't made them in literally years! I better change that quick. Yu've stirred up fond buckeye memories:)

    Thanks for sharing, Pam...

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's amazing how these recipe is everywhere and sometimes, by other names. It's neat, really.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Pam, I love that you carry one with you all the time. I am sentimental at heart too.
    The candy does look sooooooo good and is simple at that. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm bookmarking this, Pam! Those Reese's PB Cups are so good, I know I need to make these!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been wanting to make some Buckeyes. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. sounds simple to me...and they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i didn't understand the connection to ohio for the longest time; i just knew they were chocolate and peanut butter and delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't think I've ever seen an Buckeye nut but the candies are a great duplication of how they look. Peanut butter and chocolate are always a winning combination. Cute idea and a little extra good luck would be very welcomed :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. never made these and have been dying to try them! these look awesome

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pam, Just returned from a Holiday trip to New Orleans so I'm catching up... These candies bring back some really old memories. I'll bet that it's been 50 years since I've had one of these! My mother or my grandmother used to make them! Take Care and Merry Christmas! Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pam, my husband is a die-hard Buckeye from Ohio too! Although I've never made them, he would love it, so I've just got to put this recipe on my culinary bucket list! What a sweet tradition!
    Have a merry, merry one,
    Ho Ho Ho,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________