Prime Rib Roast, My Favorite!



We splurge here for our Christmas Eve dinner with a big beefy prime grade of beef for our rib roast, roasted to mouthwatering perfection for the occasion.
  

My favorite carver slicing it up


This would be great for any special day ~ succulent prime rib.  This is, hands down, my favorite meat, the rarer, the better. 

I followed the advice from a butcher at Orchard Prime Meats, our superb butcher shop, starting the roast in a very hot oven to sear the outer surface for a crusty exterior, and finishing at a lower temperature.  An accurate meat thermometer is a necessity. 





It’s easy to cook, easier than roasting a turkey, and turns out as good as any 5-star steak restaurant could do it!

Prime Rib Roast

Ingredients:

3 ribs, 7 to 8 pounds, “prime” rib roast
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper

Method:

Allow meat to come to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Pat roast dry with a paper towel.
Make a rub of remaining ingredients and rub seasonings all over roast.
Place in roasting pan, fat side up.
Cook roast for 15 minutes to sear outer surface.
Turn oven down to 325 degrees.
Continue roasting for about 1¼ to 1½ hours, until meat thermometer registers 120 to 125 degrees for rare (the center will be red with it turning pink toward the outer edge.)
Let rest 20 minutes.
Slice meat away from ribs, cutting along the bones.
Slice meat crosswise to desired thickness
Serve

ENJOY!







Comments

  1. And even the few leftover slices are enough to make me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg thats gorgeous! Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia! Happy New Year to you and yours, and that adorable baby!

      Delete
  3. Having been a veghead most my life, I'm still learning about meats. This one looks killer good. Very very nice, Pam. Happy Eating & Happy 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one of my favorites as well Pam and makes for a great Christmas meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prime rib is definitely my favourite as well Pam!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious. We had the same thing for Christmas dinner! My favorite part are the bones the next day. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucia! Yes, the bones are great!

      Delete
  7. Hi Pam, This recipe is very easy and I love the way it looks. Sometimes we have made that for Christmas Day, but your looks so tender and delicious. Great job Pam and hope that your Christmas was lovely. Wish you have a very Happy New Year! Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dottie! It was so tender, I could about cut it with a fork. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Looks fabulous and easy and perfect for any occasion. Have a very Happy New Year, cher! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marguerite! I could eat it about any time, for sure. Happy New Year! Cheers to you!

      Delete
  9. That looks SO good! Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfectly cooked and I'm sure the left-overs must be magnificent. Happy New Year to you and Bill.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a perfect holiday main dish! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is nothing better than a beautiful prime rib roast! Yours is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pam , boy do that roast look good , I will cook my next rib roast this way , much easier than my way . Thanks for sharing .
    Happy New Year ! Nee ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prime rib is our fave way to celebrate Christmas day, and I was sort of bummed that my sister changed to ham this year. But it was good, just no comparison to prime rib! Oh well, I'll fix prime next year! Thanks for sharing your recipe!
    Buon Anno,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________