The Shipyard Galley’s Zucchini Muffins



Our good neighbor, George, brought over zucchini from his garden the other day ~ they turned into muffins when I was through with them.



I was looking for a recipe for the muffins when I came across this one on King Arthur Flour website.  I’ve always had good luck with the recipes from there, and this recipe is no exception.  Go to the link, if you’re interested in reading about the origin of the name of the muffins.


After reading comments about the recipe, I adapted it somewhat: 

              The recipe called for:                    I swapped:             

            2 cups sugar        ~      1 cup sugar plus 1 cup Splenda

            1 cup vegetable oil       ~      ¼ cup oil plus ¾ cup natural applesauce

            1 teaspoon ground cinnamon     ~    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon        





I used a combo of almost 2 cups dried cherries, dried cranberries and currants. 



They baked faster than the recipe stated, in about 20 minutes.

Recipe yield - 27 muffins:  I used regular muffin tins; filled ¾ full, yield of 20.





The other cup of sugar wasn’t missed, nor was the full cup of oil. The muffins are delicious!

Warmed up in the micro for a few seconds, with a smidgeon of butter on top, they’re divine!  And the recipe is a keeper!


The Shipyard Galley’s Zucchini Muffins
Asapted

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1 cup Splenda
¼ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup applesauce
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 cups flour
2 cups finely chopped peeled zucchini
1 cup dried cherries, cranberries or currants
1 cup chopped walnuts or semi-sweet chocolate chips

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line muffin tins with papers or grease each cup, about 24.
Beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla till smooth and a little lighter in color, about 1 minute at high speed.
Add baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, beating to combine.
Add flour, beating just till smooth.
Add zucchini, raisins, currants, nuts, cherries and so forth.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling them about ¾ full.
Bake muffins 20-27 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from oven and transfer muffins to a rack to cool so their bottoms don’t become soggy.
Makes about 20.



ENJOY!





Comments

  1. I smiled when I read your post this AM, Pam! The Zucchini in my fridge were destined for Muffins. :) YUM!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it when one can turn something so decadently delicious into healthy servings of fruit and vegetables!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, the cherries and cranberries made is so pretty.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound very tasty! Just the right option for those zucchini in my refrigerator!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, These muffins look and sound great... For some reason, and we had zucchini tonight, I just never think muffins when I see these veggies. Thanks for the reminder and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful muffins, Pam! Zucchini are really great in bakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Pam, Sounds delicious with a good cup of coffee. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love muffins and these look particularly good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At my local farm market they were slipping zucchini in patrons bags. I need zucchini muffins in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just the recipe I was looking for, I want to try using your substitutions. They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could sure enjoy one of these this morning with my coffee....if only you were nearby! Not sure I could stop with just one though!!
    Have a happy and Blessed day..

    ReplyDelete
  12. With my zucchini plant finally producing, I needed this recipe! I love your add-ins and they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pam,
    Your muffins look great, and sound delicious, especially with the dried fruit. Muffins are a great way to use the garden zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool way to use up those zukes. Well done, you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS: Love that you didn't need as much sugar. PPS: This is me dressed for the Halloween season.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________