Baked Beans ~ Perfect 4th Fare!



I’ve hardly met a bean I don't like ~ these old-fashioned beans are my favorite!





I posted this recipe not long after this blog started, and thought it deserved to be repeated.   I have no idea of the origin of the original recipe; it was tweaked way back when, and I’ve been making it for many years.  It always serves us well.  Bill and Bubba swear I make the best-baked beans in the world, and I concur.    ☺


Bubba, 1971, almost 3!

Unlike the usual baked bean recipes, these beans do not need to soak overnight.  Simply use store-brand canned pork and beans (I toss the pork part) and let all the ingredients in the recipe do the flavoring. 



Don’t be afraid of the molasses, baked beans aren’t baked beans without it!  Dry mustard and vinegar provide a little kick and brown sugar sweetens it all up; chopped onions are a must, and crisp-fried bacon, just because…


Stir it up...


Mom's trusty old bean pot still in use today

This is truly our absolute favorite baked beans ~ I’ve been making this recipe many more years than I care to admit!



These baked beans go with about anything, and should you have a slice of cornbread slathered with butter to join it; you’re the lucky one!



Perfect 4th of July fare, it will be on our table that day for sure!







Baked Beans, My Way



Ingredients:



½ pound bacon

½ cup brown sugar

¼ cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon dry mustard

½ cup molasses

1 tablespoon vinegar

1 medium white onion, chopped

4 (16-ounce) cans pork and beans



Method:



Fry bacon crisp, crumble and set aside.

Pour beans into a large bowl.

Add half of the bacon.

Add the remaining ingredients, one by one, stirring well after each addition.

Pour into a bean pot or casserole dish.

Top with remainder of bacon.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 3 hours. It will be thickened and bubbly.

Let stand 15 minutes before serving.





Deeelicious!




By the way, I don’t know about where you are, but we had downpours and high winds; severe storms, off and on this morning from 12:30 a.m. through 4:00 a.m., with a tornado warning and a funnel cloud touching down in the next town.  Luckily, very little damage, but it made for a sleepless night! 



More severe weather predicted for this afternoon…







Comments

  1. Pam, these beans do sound great. We love beans at this house too, and I have a special place for recipes that use canned pork and beans. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I can smell these baking! Very similar recipe to mine (no cornstarch) that came from my mother. I have done them from scratch and we like these better.

    We have those storms in our forecast this evening and tonight. I'm doing laundry in case the basement gets water and/or we lose electricity. Welcome to summer in the midwest!!

    Happy 4th to you and yours.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bubba's so cute..

    These sound delish and easy peasy Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking beans Pam and they would be great with cornbread. I agree, they aren't baked beans without molasses.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an almost identical recipe to my baked beans, except I do add a little chopped green pepper. I've always liked the canned beans in the recipe, I use Bush's.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes with us.
    Same storm system moved through here also, it dropped rain in bucket fulls :)
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Bubba is a cutie at age 3 :) I have atually neer made baked beans from scratch and have always used canned and lots of other types now in my recipe. Love the molasses in these. My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doctoring canned beans is the way Bev likes to make hers. These look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love baked beans!

    Stay safe with those storms hopping around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam, You cook/create much like we do... Some store items are pretty good and just need to be jazzed up a bit to be terrific! Beans are a great example. Spagehetti sauce is another... We've had many guests ask for recipes...who have been stunned to learn that it was pre-packaged and then 'dressed' up. Take Care and Stay Dry, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those beans look so good!! Perfect for a picnic any time. :) Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh..golly......thanks soooooo much for sharing!!!
    these look so good!!!..those pieces of bacon in it!!!
    stay safe..and hope the weather is better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen this recipe before...they look great! Perfect for the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pam,
    These brand look wonderful. We make a similar bean dish in the crock pot with bush's beans, and "dress them up". People love them.

    Thank goodness the storms in our area weren't too bad, this time.

    Have a great 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I make a point of singing "Beans, beans, the musical fruit; the more you eat, the more you toot" every July 4th. Enjoy the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love beans in our house. So flippin' good. Yours looks great. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect compliment for grilling! Happy 4th Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that Bean Pot Pam!!!

    Just look how you've "doctored" up these beans. They sound so delicious and pretty darn easy too!

    We just had a downpour here in central PA but it has just stopped and the sun is returning. I hear there are serious forecasts up the east coast though. Stay safe, Pam and have a safe and FUN, 4th...

    ReplyDelete
  18. THE best baked beans on the planet- and they only get better after a night in the fridge as leftovers!
    I'm hoping that since you put this up that you're going to be making them over the Fourth?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Look delicious Pam!
    Happy july fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Scrumptious and comforting! this is a dish I love.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love beans, thanks for sharing the recipe ~ Have a wonderful week ~

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think every baked bean or BBQ bean recipe is my favorite...I love them all!

    ReplyDelete

  23. Find best Online Jobs on Facebook...
    JobzCorner

    ReplyDelete
  24. Best Free Earning Website where you can earn with just playing games and view some ads, join now
    PaidVerts.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Deals on a way for you, Just Join this best deals ever where you can buy every product with 90% Discount, please join fast and get all products with discounted price
    ValueDeals.pk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________