Mom’s Oyster Dressing



I would be run out of town, if I didn’t make this for our Thanksgiving dinner!




Growing up, this was standard fare at Mom and Dad’s Thanksgiving table, and it is here also, with my family, because it’s delicious!  

It's rich, and savory and a perfect side dish for oyster lovers.

It’s also about tradition

Mom's Oyster Dressing

Ingredients:

2 sleeves Club crackers*
1 stick butter
2 pints shucked fresh oysters, with liquor reserved
¾ cup half and half
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Butter a 9” x 13” baking dish liberally.
Crumble crackers into chunks.
Spread half of the crackers in the baking dish.
Top with one pint of oysters.
Dot with ½ stick butter.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Repeat layers.
Pour reserved oyster liquor over top.
Pour half and half over all, just to top of layers, do not cover completely.
Bake in 400 degree oven until bubbling and top is golden brown, 30-45 minutes.
Let stand 2-3 minutes.
Serve
*Use less crackers for a crisper dish.



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes!

You still have time to go here to enter a great giveaway from Hickory Farms!  It’s chock full of all kinds of goodies you’ll like!




Comments

  1. Pam, My favorite stuffing includes celery and spicy Italian sausage. Its great leftover too, especially on a sandwich with slab of turkey, mayo and a bit of Tabasco... Have a great Thanksgiving! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, My favorite stuffing includes celery and spicy Italian sausage. Its great leftover too, especially on a sandwich with slab of turkey, mayo and a bit of Tabasco... Have a great Thanksgiving! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, this is most definitely one that Sam P. would love. I'm not a oyster eater, but everyone says they are delicious!! Have a nice day Pam
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you opening line and the dressing sounds delicious. My family always made a plain and an oyster dressing using a pint of pre-shucked oysters. The look of them kept me from trying oysters until I in my 30's and now I just love them fresh, but still don't eat the pre-shucked ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made this, though I know I would absolutely LOVE it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made oyster dressing and I'm so glad to have your recipe Pam. I tried adding oysters to cornbread dressing one time with very poor results.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Pam! I said I hadn't had this dressing but I've had this dish. Mother called it scalloped oysters! So delicious. I've never made it but will--and soon--even though I probably risk being "run out of town" in the future if I don't keep making it.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam this stuffing look absolutely georgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Pam, I just love traditional recipes from growing up.

    This sounds wonderful.

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my. both of these stuffing sound so good. Love the crackers in the oyster stuffing. I'd love a bite of that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you love those family recipes? The holidays wouldn't be the same without them. This looks delicious Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam,
    Your dressing looks wonderful. I've never had oysters in dressing, but my husband would love this. He eats the raw ones, not me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gotta love those family traditions! My mom makes an all sausage dressing that is a must at our table on Thanksgiving AND Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds great but our oysters get eaten the moment the shell is opened, I would never have them long enough to make this me thinks!! Maybe I should hide some and make it in secret :-))) Have a good day, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________