all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Monday, November 4, 2013

Easy Chicken Cacciatore



One evening, way back when, Alice, my mother-in-law, cooked chicken cacciatore for dinner.  It was new to me, and I thought it was delicious, but then, about everything she cooked was delicious to me, except for her liver and onions.  Bill can only dream about his mothers’ liver and onions now…

Only pic, we were hungry, and wanted to eat!

I lost her chicken cacciatore recipe somewhere over time, but I remember it had a long list of ingredients, including red wine, and it simmered a good while.

My version takes little time to prepare, is about as easy as it gets, but tastes like it took a lot longer.  It’s a guest-worthy dish!

I use lean chicken breasts; chicken thighs would work well too. It’s definitely a recipe you can play around with.  So try this or come up with your own version ~ maybe with capers, or olives added, a little chicken broth, celery or rosemary…


Easy Chicken Cacciatore

Ingredients:

4 skinless chicken breasts
2 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
Cooking spray

Method:

Spray non-stick skillet with cooking spray.
Brown chicken in hot skillet over medium-high heat.
Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.
Lower heat to a simmer,
Cook 30-40 minutes until tender.
Serve with noodles or rice.

ENJOY!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes!






16 comments:

  1. I love this dish! I do add capers and, a few times, olives. It's one of those recipes that many cooks tend to "personalize" in delicious ways. I'm with Bill in that I love liver and onions!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam,
    Your Cacciatore looks wonderful. I love recipes that you can personalize, and are healthy, too. We add some wine and a few herbs, too. Hope that Bill likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful Pam and I can definitely see lots of possibilities. It really comes in handy to have a base dish that you can serve different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fall dish for us, I'm not sure way. Maybe it's because it means something like "hunters stew" that resonates with me as Fall. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks terrific, Pam! I'm going to pin it and try it for a weekday meal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect weeknight meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THis is a dish our Italian friends made for us eserved on his special polenta..very good indeed:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love easy recipe that are company worthy. Thanks, Pam.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam! We're having a dinner party next week, and we'll be making this! Thank you for sharing! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had chicken cacciatore in ages! I think the last time I made it was over 10 years ago.... must make sure I make it soon.. thanks for the reminder!! Love the simplicity of your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Pam, A classic and a favorite.
    This is a wonderful and healthy version.

    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just talking about chicken cacciatore the other day. It's a dish I remember fondly from my childhood. (I actually use to look forward to liver and onions also:)

    I haven't made it in years. I'd be curious to try it your quick and easy way because when I was younger, I do believe my mother cooked the whole chicken, cut up of course, in the sauce.

    Thanks so much for sharing, Pam...It's good to "see" you:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pam , this is one of my families favorite dishes , you can't miss with chicken cacciatore , add some of your favorites to make it your own .
    Thanks for visiting my blog and following me , I am following you back ...glad to meet you and thanks for sharings :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is definitely comfort food at our house. It's a dish that's as happy to be sitting at the table for family as it is to be for guests.

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam