all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Finally ~ A Great Dinner Roll



I’ve endeavored making light fluffy dinner rolls, time and again.  Loaves of bread were no problem, but dinner rolls were beyond me. 

Then I came across this recipe for dinner rolls by King Arthur Flour Company.  They’re easy, quick to make, and turn out tender and soft every time.  






They’re not just for holiday dinners; they’re good for cookouts, as buns for turkey or ham on Super Bowl Sunday, or even for a bake sale.  As the recipe yields 4 pans of 6 rolls each, you can bake the amount you need now, and freeze the rest for later use.

They’re the best thing a pat of butter ever met!










Big Batch Quick Dinner Rolls
Adapted             

Ingredients:

1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 cups warm milk (100 - 110°F)
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
 2 1/2 tablespoons yeast, instant preferred
 6 to 7 cups King Arthur flour


Method:

1.   Combine the water, milk, butter, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer. Stir well and let sit for 6 to 8 minutes, or until you see the yeast begin to foam.

2.   Add 5 cups of flour and mix by hand or with the paddle attachment until the dough forms a rough, shaggy mass. The dough will not form a ball at this point, but will be just shy of coming together.

3.  Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time and blend with the dough hook until a smooth ball begins to form. Knead by hand for about 10 minutes, or by machine for 4 to 5 minutes until a soft, smooth ball of dough is formed. The dough should feel elastic and slightly tacky to the touch.

4.  Lightly spray your work bowl with cooking spray and place the dough in the bowl. Spritz the top of the dough with spray as well and cover lightly with plastic wrap or a shower cap. Let rise for 20 minutes at room temperature or until the dough is full and puffy.

5.  Gently deflate the dough and pat out to a rough rectangle about 8 inches by 12 inches. Cut the dough into 4 long strips, then cut each strip into 6 portions for a total of 24 dough balls. Shape into round balls as you would shape meatballs, using your cupped hands to roll the dough. Spritz your hands with cooking spray to prevent sticking.

6.  You can place the rolls into any of the following pans, well greased or lined with parchment paper or greased foil: One half-sheet baking pan or 2 quarter-sheet pans. Two 13" x 9" x 2" pans. Four 8" or 9" round baking pans OR a combination of any of these pans.

7.  After the rolls are in the pans, cover again with your plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until well rounded and full looking. If you are baking now, preheat the oven to 350°F.

8.  Bake the rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and an internal thermometer reads 190°F. You can brush the baked rolls with melted butter if desired. Serve warm, store leftovers in a plastic bag for up to 3 days.

9.  If you want to freeze the unbaked buns, place in the pans as described in step 6 and allow to rise for 10 minutes. Wrap airtight and freeze for up to 4 weeks. To bake, thaw overnight in the fridge, then unwrap and bake as directed.

Makes 24 rolls


This recipe is a keeper!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 








Pin It

29 comments:

Shug said...

Be still my drooling lips. I couldn't resist looking at these hot rolls. My, My....I think I can taste them right now..
Shug

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Oh Pam! In my world a yeast baked item it TOPS! These look SCRUMPTIOUS!

StephenC said...

Sliders, here I come.

Becky said...

Pam,
Your rolls are gorgeous, I was sure that I could smell them, hot out of the oven!

Dining Alone said...

Those look absolutely perfect! I wish I was not such a bad baker!

From the Kitchen said...

I've never been successful with dinner rolls so I am going to give these a try. They look delicious and the aroma must be intoxicating!

Best,
Bonnie

Linda Burgett said...

Your freezing tip is awesome! I rarely need that many rolls at one time so being able to freeze and use later makes this a perfect recipe for me!

katiez said...

I haven't had a proper dinner roll in ages! My mother always made them and they were always way too good! The look fantastic.

jose manuel said...

Se ven estupendos. Deliciosos.

Saludos

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

There is nothing better than a delicious, freshly made roll! These look awesome and I can't wait to try them and compare this recipe to my latest favorite roll recipe.

Melinda said...

Oh good golly, I can almost smeel and taste them!
I love fresh hot rolls!


M :)

Gloria said...

oh Pam this look absolutely awesome!!

JG said...

Did I read Super Bowl? That's definitely a big game here! :) Pam, I am bookmarking this recipe. These rolls look so delicious. Thanks!
~Judy

kitchen flavours said...

Lovely rolls! Looks so soft and delicious! I love eating dinner rolls with a generous spread of salted butter and with a mug of hot steaming black coffee!

Jenn said...

I'm with Stephen, these would be perfect for sliders!! They look amazing, Pam!

My Little Space said...

Happy New Year, Pam. YOur rolls looks delicious & soft. Hope you're having a fabulous day. ((hugs))
Best wishes, Kristy

Pam said...

Shug, I hear ya'! Ummmm,mmmmm!

Jill, these do have that yeast taste! Thanks!

Stephen, yes!!! These are perfect for any kind of slider!!


Pam said...

Becky, I bet! It's a wonderful aroma!

DA, even non-bakers could make these, easy, easy!

Bonnie, great! They're so good and fairly quick to make.

Linda, absolutely! That is another great thing about this recipe---freezing for later use.

katie, then these bring back good memories for you. Kind of funny--I can't remember my mother ever making home-made dinner rolls.

jose manuel, gracias! Eastas son grandes.

STITK, oh, I hope you do that and let me know. This is the best recipe for them I've come across.

Melinda, I'm with you on this! I love them too and can hardly resist them.

Gloria, thank you! And you have a great day, my friend!

JG, same here! These rolls would be great filled with your fave meat and maybe a little cheese for the big game!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Mmmm these do sound good, bookmarked :) Happy New Year Diane

Pam said...

Joyce, sounds good to me! I'll be trying it next time with hot steaming black coffee. Mmmmmm!

Jenn, you and Stephen always know what's good! :-)

Kristy, thanks! They are and you have a great day! Hugs to you...

Diane, it looks like you're back!
Woo hoo! Happy New Year, my friend!

Karen said...

I love the KA site... so many tested and yummy recipes there.

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I would have a hard time resisting seconds of these beautiful rolls. I have found so many great recipes at the KAF website. I'm looking forward to trying this one, Pam.

laurie said...

I love their flour...it's the best...I'm excited to try this recipe!

Pam said...

Karen, yes, me too! So many to try!

Cathy, seconds are tempting for sure!

laurie, I do too. It only started selling in the stores here recently and it's great!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Yum. Those look like something you would find in a restaurant bread basket - professional. Since yours are homemade though, I'm sure they taste much better.

Pam said...

The Short (dis)Order Cook, thanks for the great comment, and have a good day!

Leslie said...

I an totally making these to go along with my next pot roast! Thanks Pam. happy new year!!!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love rolls and those look incredibly scrumptious! So smooth and tempting.

Cheers,

Rosa

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love rolls and those look incredibly scrumptious! So smooth and tempting.

Cheers,

Rosa