all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, August 19, 2011

Summer Spaghetti Salad






Is a family reunion on your horizon?  How about a cook-out with friends or a company picnic?  If so, spaghetti salad is just the right dish for a hot summer day to fill up those bellies!

There are so many variations of spaghetti salad that is usually served cold but can be served hot as well.  You can add your favorite variety of vegetables to satisfy your tastes.  I use thin spaghetti but, you can replace it with linguine, vermicelli or the pasta of your choosing; just cook it until al dente. 

It is a refreshing salad due to the fresh crunchy brilliantly colored vegetables.  This dish will be eye candy and disappear fast.  It’s great for any get together because, not only can it be made ahead; it is mayonnaise free to avoid spoiling in this hot weather. 

This is a scrumptious go-to dish to satiate your hunger quickly ~ actually; I can make a meal of just this mouthwatering piquant salad!






Summer Spaghetti Salad

Ingredients:

1 pound thin spaghetti
10 slices bacon
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 large red onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 (2 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
2 tomatoes, diced
1 cucumber, diced
1/4 cup salad seasoning mix*
½ teaspoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional

Method:

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.
Drain and crumble.
In a large bowl combine cooked spaghetti, celery, onion, bell pepper, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers and salad seasoning.
In a small bowl, whisk lemon zest, lemon juice and minced garlic with olive oil.
Pour over spaghetti mixture and toss.
Add crumbled bacon and lightly toss.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Chill until serving.
8-10 servings


*Pam’s note:  For my homemade salad seasoning mix, see my post on Wednesday, July



Give it a go ~ it’s a delicious people pleaser!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes.  





Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Yum Pam! Great idea for a luscious summer salad. I need to make some up and keep it in the fridge for lunch! How refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqueline, thank you! It's great that it keeps well for several days if there should be any leftover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another way to enjoy the last month of summer's pasta!
    Thanks for the delicious recipe.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the light summery flavors of this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Que delicia de receta, un plato de pasta fantastico.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful bowl of delicious looking spaghetti! I could have this anytime! Have a lovely weekend, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Pam, Sounds delish!
    Thank you for visiting my blog and for following. I appreciate it. I hope that you will visit again soon. I look forward to it. Blessings for a beautiful weekend. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like the perfect summer meal (or side dish). Making me hungry right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the idea to have thsi dish when joining other people's party.I am sur eit is always a hit with everyone;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, you are right this is a really good way to enjoy a pasta salad at a picnic or bbq. I love the flavors and textures in this salad.

    Happy summer. It won't be long and we will be writing about our fall menus. :-)

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make almost the same salad, except I use ham instead of bacon. I know my husband would prefer the bacon. Time to change up my recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Pam, that's a very colourful dish! Kids will go crazy over the pasta :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fantastic for a nice hot summer BBQ =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this sounds my kinda dish especially with the bacon in it. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh so yummy, i want to slurp this right up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this salad and haven't made it in years!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the summer salads and this is a new idea for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This would be a great summer salad. I'm drooling already. Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe, my sweet friend. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday. I'm smiling and my stomach is growling now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love pasta salads! Too bad mon mari doesn't share my enthusiasm - or not, then I get to eat it all myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like a great summer super idea for these hot nights we have been having.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks and sounds like summer in a bowl... LOVE it!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam