all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Home-made Salad Supreme Seasoning





You’ve probably bought a jar of Salad Supreme Seasoning at your favorite grocery store but, did you know it tastes the same and it’s easy and cost effective to make your own?

This is a great blend of herbs and spices and Parmesan cheese.  You can claim it as your version by adding more or less of one of the ingredients.  I go a little heavy on the garlic powder and cayenne pepper.  Parmesan cheese can be replaced with Romano cheese, or leave the cheese out altogether.

Home-made Salad Supreme Seasoning tastes great when added to most any salad:  potato salad, cabbage salad, chicken salad, pizza salad, crab salad and pasta salads.  Sprinkle some on grilled or steamed vegetables ~ try it on baked potatoes or deviled eggs and even egg salad.  It will spice up your hamburgers and chicken wings before grilling.  Slather it on buttered breads before toasting, appetizers and sprinkle some on cottage cheese.   Add it to vinegar and oil for a delicious vinaigrette.  Then try it on pork ribs!  Wherever your imagination takes you with it…

Here’s the home-made version (I double it):


Home-made Salad Supreme Seasoning

Ingredients:

3 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 teaspoons paprika
1½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1 teaspoon celery seeds
½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 dashes cayenne pepper
4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese or Romano (fresh is best)

Method:

Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
 Makes ½ cup



It’s a great “perk-up” for salads and veggies!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes.  She’s having a Double Giveaway now!







Pin It

23 comments:

StephenC said...

When I started reading this I thought oh, no, going to be 43 ingredients. So happy to see how few there are. I do need one or two though. Store day tomorrow.

The Slow Roasted Italian said...

Wow, this looks like a great multi-purpose seasoning. Thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

Stephen, Good, you're going to try it. Lucky for both of us, it only has a few ingredients!

The Slow Roasted Italian, thanks! It's good on those summer salads!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I love the sound of this, will certainly give this a try, I just need to go shopping. Diane

Barefeet In The Kitchen said...

This is a great ingredient list. I love homemade dressings. They really are so much better! I like your blog. I am happily following you now. :)
Mary

Rita said...

I love to find recipes for home made seasoning; you know what's in it; this one looks great. Thanks Pam.
Rita

Pam said...

Diane, great! I think you'll like it!

Mary, I agree! Thanks for stopping by!

Rita, You're right! You know exactly what it consists of!

Healthy and Homemade said...

I didn't even know you could buy premade salad seasoning LOL! I always do recipes from scratch and season according to what I'm making. This looks like a wonderful all purpose seasoning to have on hand though! =)

jose manuel said...

Que rico, esto tiene que estar para no parar

Saludos

Emily Malloy said...

Delicious!

Pegasuslegend said...

You should market this wow!

MaryBeth said...

I love the short list of items, this sounds like it would be wonderful.

bellini said...

My salads could stand an awakening Pam!

laurie said...

I thought it was going to have alot of ingredients, too...this is easy!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh my goodness this is great! Thanks so much for the recipe and I am looking forward to making this really soon, I can see how it would be tasty on almost anything!!

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Hi Pam - Your seasoning blend looks like just the thing for summer salads and cookout dishes. I can almost taste it on a baked potato or a hamburger. Thanks for sharing this.

Parsley Sage said...

I've actually never heard of this seasoning before...could be cause of the limited food supplies on island. Your mix sounds incredible though so I'll def have to give it a try :)

Mary said...

Pam, this is such a good idea. This will make my salads sing. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary.

Marguerite said...

What a fabulous blend! Very different from mine, so it will be fun to try it! Thanks for sharing!

teresa said...

what a great idea, this sounds delicious!

Tami said...

I use a lot of this, especially in the summer, on pasta salads. Thanks for sharing your homemade recipe for this!!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I am printing this recipe now! We are going to mix up a batch of this today!

hbs1991 said...

Boy Pam you have been a busy bee, I like this also I am going to make this, and want to order some spices and make some other combinations as well.
I like making them at home, because you can control the salt, and as we all know everything store bought must have 1/2 cup of salt no matter what it is .