all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, April 1, 2011

Saucy Sloppy Joes



I love sloppy joes ~ they aren’t just for kids, are they?

It’s something I have tried many recipes of.  This recipe is adapted from one that was in The Chicago Tribune years ago.

It’s the addition of cranberry sauce and liquid smoke with all the spices that makes it really tasty.  I know, you’re probably saying “cranberry sauce?”  It’s a great surprise ingredient!  It really adds to the flavor and does not make the sloppy joes overly sweet.

If you like sloppy joes, you must try this; it’s a keeper for sure! 

Saucy Sloppy Joes 

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon celery seeds
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
8 ounce can jellied cranberry sauce
1 cup ketchup
Hamburger buns, split and toasted

Method:

Brown ground beef in skillet with chopped onions.
In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients and stir well.
Add bowl contents to ground beef.
Cover.  Simmer on low heat for close to 45 minutes to let the
flavors blend.
Spoon onto hamburger buns and serve. 

This is an excellent tasty sandwich!   ENJOY!!!

Visit my friend Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway! 

For a chance to win my friend Bo’s great Le Crueset giveaway, visit Bo’s Bowl!


Pin It

26 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I do LOVE sloppy joes and have tried many kinds. This looks great, I'll try it, thanks!

bellini valli said...

I love sloppy joes too, because I am a kid at heart!

kitchen flavours said...

I have been thinking of making sloppy joes ever since I've seen it on many of our foodie friends blogs! Yours look delicious, the cranberry sauce is a surprise addition! Great flavour! Thank you for sharing!

Bo said...

I love sloppy joes...the cranberry sauce is unusual, but I'd give it try.

Pegasuslegend said...

An all time favorite of my boys thanks for reminding me its been years since I've made them~

Betty Ray said...

This sounds so delicious. Nothing like a good ole messy drippy saucy sloppy joe!

StephenC said...

Everybody loves a sloppy joe. And I was pleased when I discovered some years ago that there's nothing evil about liquid smoke.

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Sloppy Joes, yummy! I have never made them with cranberry sauce before, but it is those unexpected ingredients that make a great recipe.

I hope you have a great weekend too, Pam!

jose manuel said...

Que bueno se ve este bollo, no lo conocía.

Saludos

Lyndsey said...

I haven't made sloppy joe's yet, and I haven't eaten once since childhood. I think it's because they are sweet. Maybe the cranberry sauce is the ticket. I'll have to try it.

JG said...

Sloppy Joes are for kids of all ages! :) I've never had them with cranberry sauce. Looks so good!
~Judy

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I have a jar of Trader Joe's cranberry sauce . . . but I do not know what liquid smoke is. Can you buy it at a regular grocery?

Today is sloppy joe weather, for sure.

Fondly,
Glenda

Big Dude said...

I really like sloppy joe's but I know I'm just a big kid.

Pam said...

Thanks to all of you! This is my favorite sloppy joe recipe and I hope you all give it a try.

Glenda: Yes, liquid smoke is sold at most grocery stores in the condiment section, by the barbecue sauce, or in the spice section maybe. It adds the flavor and aroma of real smokehouse wood to the meat. Hope this helps!

Melynda said...

Yum, I love it when cranberry sauce shows up!

Karen said...

How interesting! I love cranberry sauce but only seem to use it in November! How silly is that?? This sounds like a really good sandwich!

katiez said...

That plates looks perfect - sloppy joes, chips and a pickle. It's been years and I absolutely love them!
I'm going to have dreams about this tonight....

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love joes- the sloppier the better. Yours look delicious!

Chris said...

Love sloppy joes! The cranberry is a twist, for sure.

Healthy and Homemade said...

What a delicious sandwich! I love sloppy joes =)

baking.serendipity said...

My husband loves sloppy joes! I've never added cranberry to them before...what a great twist! I will definitel have to try making these for him...thanks for the recipe!

MaryBeth said...

My kids simply loved these for dinner growing up..I love the recipe, it is so quick and easy.

Marguerite said...

Love sloppy joes and these look fab! Going on my "must try list", for sure!

Keri said...

Hi Pam, this great looking Joe is inspirational.

On my ways to Bo's Bowl now. Thanks, Keri

Chaya said...

Sloppy Joes are comfort food. The cranberry sauce is a great addition. This is on my list.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

this look absolutely delicious!