all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, January 17, 2011

La Bamba Casserole



Arriba!  Arriba!  La Bamba is a great name for this yummy dish!  It’s like a flashback to 1987, seeing the movie “La Bamba” and hearing the catchy song by Ritchie Valens.   Does that bring back some good memories for you?

La Bamba is a traditional Mexican folk song from the state Veracruz and was often played during weddings where the bride and groom performed the accompanying dance. 

This is a quick healthy and best of all, tasty recipe, from Cooking Light Cookbook.  If you favor Mexican food, you will surely like this comfort food dish.  The recipe is versatile and you could make it with the meat of your choice.   It is a filling simple dish!

La Bamba Casserole will make your mouth water and then just maybe you will start dancing La Bamba! 




La Bamba Casserole

Ingredients:

1 (5.25-ounce) can whole green chiles, drained
Cooking spray
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
1 (16-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped tomato
½ cup chopped green onions

Method:

Preheat oven to 375°.

Cut green chiles in half lengthwise. Arrange chiles in a single layer in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add turkey, onion, chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add diced tomatoes; cook 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.

Spoon turkey mixture over chiles. Top with corn. Carefully spread beans over corn. Sprinkle cheese over beans. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes; top with chopped tomato and green onions.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1-1/3 cups)

Calories: 344
Fat:  10.7
Carbs: 30.7


It’s a keeper!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!



Pin It

34 comments:

Eugenia said...

MM YUMMY!!! I love your recipes!

Velva said...

This is a keeper recipe. I would really enjoy this mixture of tomatoes, turkey beans, corn, etc. It might even make a great dip too, with good good quality tortilla chips.

Velva

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I was wondering what to do with the ground turkey for tomorrow now you have answerd my question. Thanks Diane

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Oh, this looks yummy :)

Blessings!
Gail

Donnie said...

That looks really good. Hubby grew up in Beardstown, Illinois. Don't know if you ever heard of it.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Just the name of this recipe makes me want to sing and dance around the kitchen! The recipe sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!

Mary

Jennifurla said...

First I LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie La Bamba, and I can sing every song!

Cool recipe, nice to eat over a few evenings.

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I love Mexican food, and this recipe is one my family would really enjoy! The ground turkey is a nice change from the ground beef Mexican dishes I usually make,

The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Oooo, I'm making this tonight!

Amber said...

This sounds great! I'm adding it to the menu on the fridge to try soon!

jose manuel said...

El nombre curioso y el resultado mucho mejor.

Saludos

Sall's Country Life said...

Yummm, we love Mexican food too! I need to round up some ingredients and try it real soon!

Faith said...

This delicious casserole definitely looks like a party in itself! I especially love all that cheesy goodness on top!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

The fact that something this cheesy and tasty looking is actually healthy, made "light" makes it even more appealing! I can enter all the ingredients on WW online, and figure out how many points this puppy would be. Thanks my dear, for something other than the standard fare most dieters have to face! Scrumptious!

laurie said...

Does this freeze well? I think my son would love this!

Red Couch Recipes said...

Your La Bamba casserole looks like a winner. Joni

Together We Save said...

Oh wow - this looks amazing!!

Zia Elle said...

never tasted before but it looks delicious! Great Pam!

Joanne said...

I was excited about this based on the name alone, but then I read your ingredients and description of it and now i'm UBER excited to make it! Sounds delicious.

Pam said...

Eugenia, thanks so much!

Velva, that's what Bill said--it needs tortilla chips.

Diane, the ground turkey works great with this.

Gail, thanks and have a good day!

Donnie: No, I hadn't heard of Beardstown before now and see it's SW of here.

Mary, you said it. Nothing like kitchen singing and dancing!

Jennifurla, fantastic! It's definitely one of my fave movies too, love all the songs!

Linda, thanks! Even though I like ground beef better, this is great with ground turkey and not so many calories, etc.

TWOAD, hope you like it also!

Amber, it's a keeper!

jose manuel, La Bamba es el nombre perfecto para esto. Saludos.

Sall, go for it; it's delicious!

Faith, it is! Lots of good melted cheese!

Corgidogmama, thanks and way to go with WW! This should be good for it.

laurie, I'm guessing that it would work frozen also. I've never done that though.

Joni, thanks! Glad to see you stopped by!

TWS, it is amazing and tastes sooo good!

Zia Elle, thank you! There are a lot of good flavors going on here.

Joanne, hope you try it! It's easy and good!

Patticake said...

This sounds so good! On my menu list for this week!!
Thanks!

teresa said...

how did i miss this in cooking light, it sounds amazing!

bellini valli said...

We can't have enoigh casserolesd in our life Pam!!!

mykitchenmymuse said...

Hi Pam,

Thank you for visiting my blog and for becoming a follower. I am absolutely loving the cast iron skillet. I know my grandmother had one, it was passed down to my mother, I remember her using it. I wish I knew what happened to it. Treasure your grandmother's.

Love your site, I've become a follower and I am definitely going to try the French Toast flavored with Triple Sec.

Pam said...

Patticake, great! It's yummy!

teresa, there are sooo many recipes in it so that would be easy to do. Hope you try this one.

bellini valli, especially this time of year when it's so cold!

mykitchenmymuse, glad you like them also. I do treasure the ones I have for sure. Hope you like the French toast!!!

Marguerite said...

Great casserole and I love how you used the ground turkey to lighten up the calories and the green chilies to add some heat. I've been on a diet since the holidays. :)

Design Wine and Dine said...

Love the recipe! I make something similar but this looks better! I love most recipes from cooking light magazine too! Thanks for sharing!

kitchen flavours said...

This sounds delicious! Would probably be too full to La Bamba away after a satisfied meal like this! This would definitely calls for a second helping!

Monet said...

Hi Pam! Now I'm singing out loud and wishing I could make this casserole right now! I love Mexican food and flavors, so I know this would be a winner. Thank you for sharing your tasty casserole with me. I hope you had a great day...may tomorrow be even better!

grace said...

I do love me some mexican food and I'm a fan of "La Bamba" so I don't see how I can possibly go wrong with this recipe. Thanks!

Karen said...

You had me at green chiles :)

scrambledhenfruit said...

Now you've gone and put that song in my head- I'll probably be humming it all night. :) That casserole looks wonderful!

My Little Space said...

You just reminded me of making some casserole recipes. Miss this alot! Thanks again, Pam. And have a great day.
Cheers, Kristy

My Little Space said...

You just reminded me of making some casserole recipes. Miss this alot! Thanks again, Pam. And have a great day.
Cheers, Kristy