all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, November 8, 2010

A Beef Salad Sandwich


 OK!  Here it is!  Remember the pot roast I posted last week and told you to watch for what Bill would do with the left-over meat?  Here’s what he did with it…


 Growing up, I loved it when Mom cooked a beef chuck roast because I knew there would be beef salad sandwiches to follow.  I don't know where she got the idea of doing this with left-over roast beef, but I'm glad she did!

Mom used an old-fashioned shiny clamp-on galvanized meat grinder, and I did also for many years.  It is a great tool for grinding meat, vegetables, nuts and fruit that is cheap also.  If you’ve never used one, the first thing that will get your attention is the weight of it, about 5 pounds.  It’s unbreakable and durable.  

The handle attaches to the grinder with a nut; the ‘worm’ is the spiraled part of the grinder that moves the food to be ground through the body.  Attaching either the coarse or fine plate and then the screw ring gives you a perfect tool for grinding meat and so forth.  The main thing of concern was that the clamp at the bottom holding the grinder to the counter or table was very tight.  If not, it started sliding and could fall right off the table.  In reality, this is the best tool for grinding meat and all perfectly!




Go ahead many years and the food processor became king.  It certainly does a great quick job of chopping but it does not provide quite the texture that the grinder with the ‘worm’ gives.  So be sure if you use a food processor to chop and pulse in 1 to 2 second bursts until the desired fine consistency is met.

Just a few ingredients; such as, Miracle Whip (mayonnaise?), pickle relish, eggs and onions to make a great sandwich. 

I have to say, Bill thinks this beef salad sandwich is par with a tuna, chicken or ham salad sandwich any day! 




Beef Salad Sandwich

Ingredients:

1 pound cooked beef roast
1/3 cup pickle relish
2 hard cooked eggs, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
¾ cup Miracle Whip
Salt and pepper, to taste
Lettuce leaves

Method:

Grind the meat in food processor using chop and pulse mode, pulsing in 1-2 second bursts.
Remove to a bowl and add remaining ingredients.
Assemble a sandwich using your favorite bread.


Delicious!


Do any of you use the old-fashioned meat grinder?




Today is the last day to enter my giveaway for Chef John Besh’s “My New Orleans” cookbook that was posted on October 29, 2010!



Check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway!



Pin It

34 comments:

Jess @ Bakericious said...

I love sandwiches, this looks so tempting.

Eileen @ My Evergreen Place said...

I have never used one but remember my Mom using one when she would make hash. This beef salad sounds like something I would like to try. I would of never thought of using beef to make a salad sandwich. Thanks for sharing! :0)

Lynda said...

This is a great idea for using leftover roast beef and it looks delicious.
I have used this typ of grinder and I still have the one my mother used. It does a great job.

Annie Jones said...

My husband and I eat beef salad sandwiches here, too. I had them growing up; I'm not sure if he did or not.

I usually make the salad in the food processor now, but back in the old days before I had one, I would use a hand chopper or just cut it up fine with a knife.

We have a meat grinder, but I don't think we've ever used it for cooked meat, just for raw meat, especially venison.

Pam said...

What a great idea! I love chicken, tuna, and ham salad, why not beef?!

Mari said...

My grandma use to have one of those!!
Great recipe, it looks like it tastes delicious.

Have a great Monday :)

claire said...

i have never thought to use left over beef like that- It looks delicious!

Jennifurla said...

Hello, great idea! I only wish I had some for lunch.

StephenC said...

I agree with your husband about grinding up leftovers and making sandwiches. And, as for Miracle Whip, it's all we ever had growing up. My mom never bought mayonnaise. I'm sure it was a cost-related decision. And we loved it.

Big Dude said...

Looks like a great use for some leftover beef. We have a meat grinder like yours that we break out about once per year for something.

Gloria said...

WIW PAm this look absolutely yummy! My grand Mom had one of this and she grind the corns to make the corn pudding! Love your recipe! gloria

Keri said...

Now this looks like a great sandwich. Very unique and delicious I'm sure. Fantastic, Pam. As always. Keri

jose manuel said...

Que sandwich más apetecible, se ve total y delicioso.

saludos

Subhashini said...

no idea how will it taste but looks good.

Joanne said...

This is one type of meat salad I've never heard of before but I bet it's WAY better than tuna!

JG said...

Wow! When I saw the photo of the old fashioned meat grinder, did that ever bring back memories for me!!! My mom attached hers to our kitchen counter and did it ever work well! Oh it sure was a heavy little kitchen tool. :)
~Judy

Pam said...

Jess @ Bakericious, thanks! It is!

Eileen @ My Evergreen Place, we really like and I hope you give it a try. It's so good!

Lynda, thanks! Sometimes the old tools are the best. That grinder is about indestructible.

Annie Jones, good! Then you know what a great sandwich it is and all about the grinder.

Pam, exactly! I would have never thought of it.

Mari, you know about it too then. You have a great rest of the day!

Claire, it is a wonderful sandwich that we really enjoy!

Jennifurla, wish there was some way to pass it over to you!

StephenC, thanks! Bill does a great job with the leftovers. I like mayo also but really favor MW for something like this.

Big Dude, I know what you mean with the once a year thing. The food processor makes it so easy to use when it's sitting right on the counter.

Gloria, ummm, corn pudding! Bet your grandma made it great!

Keri, I know how you like sandwiches and I'm glad you like this one.

jose manuel, me encanta sandwiches y este es delicioso. Que tengas un buen dia.

Subhashini, I can't describe the taste other than to say it tastes like beef. Thanks!

Joanne, you got it, it is!

JG, good with the memories. My counter is too thick so the grinder has to go on the table. Heavy is the word for it!

Rita said...

YOu just brought back so many memories; I remember my mom making these sandwiches and of course I had one of those. I find The food processor doesn't do the great job our little meat grinder did when it come to making a beef sandwich.
Rita

Claudia said...

Pam, this is so wonderful. I never do use my meat grinder (and it is from my grandmother's day - and works courtesy of my appliance-fixing husband). Now...I have a "taste" for this.

Pegasuslegend said...

What an awesome sandwich...looks very tastey! will have to try this some time!

Chris said...

Yes, I still have a #22 hand grinder with 2 die and 3 stuffing tubes. It weighs about as much as a small car.

But three months ago we finally got a stand mixer with the meat grinding attachment and I'm afraid the manual grinder may be going to be retired.

Anyone want a manual grinder? It's yours for the cost of shipping....meaning it would probably be cheaper to buy a new one at Academy or Gander Mountain.

Reeni said...

This sounds like something my Dad would love! He doesn't let any kind of leftover meat go to waste! Love that old school grinder too - that looks like a handy kitchen tool.

kitchen flavours said...

Never had a meat grinder! I sometimes just chop them up using a chinese cleaver. I don't like to use the food processor as the meat can get very mushy, as you say, does not provide much texture. I would usually buy from the market if I need a bigger amount!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Hmm, I've never seen a beef salad sandwich - I'm going to have to remember this the next time I have some left over beef!

Angie's Recipes said...

The beef sandwich looks yummy and nutrients-loaded!

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

This is such a great way to use up extra meat or Thanksgiving turkey! Great recipe :)

Kay Heritage said...

Never thought to use the roast this way. THanks, Pam!

MaryBeth said...

I would so love this Pam...you did an excellent job with this one. Goodness and comfort all in one fabulous sammie.

scrambledhenfruit said...

That looks like a great sandwich- perfect use for leftover beef. :)

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

What a fantastic filling! I love the ingredients.

auntietina21 said...

I have my mother's old meat grinder in a box somewhere in my garage (could NOT let it be sold at an estate sale!) She used to make homemade "sandwich spread" when we were little - bulk bologna, pickles, onion and probably Miracle Whip - all put thru the grinder. I may have to make some the next time we have a family get-together!

Mexico in my kitchen said...

That is a neat idea for leftover beef.
I do have a meat grinder but don't use it as much now since I also have the attachment to the Kitchen Aid.

Have a great day!

Mely

Karen said...

This sounds so good. I'm going to have to try it so DH has something different for his lunches. I'll use venison and give it a try. Seeing the meat grinder brought back memories of my Mom. She would get hers out everything Thanksgiving and grind cranberries in it for her homemade cranberry sauce. Thanks for the memories :)

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

I have my grandmothers beef grinder. She would make this same recipe. Oh I miss her cooking. Thanks for taking me down memory lane