Midwestern Chicken and Noodles over Mashed Potatoes and My 8 Year Blogiversary!


Spoon chicken and noodles over what?  Mashed potatoes, really!  Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!

It isn’t soup, it’s not a potpie, it’s a hotdish ~ it’s thick and creamy noodles topping a mound of mashed potatoes.




Creamy, rich gravy smothers bites of savory chicken, chewy noodles and mashed potatoes. You haven’t eaten Midwestern food until you eat this for supper!

We like mushrooms with the noodles, skip them if you don’t.  Chop up and add carrots or celery, if you desire.  I poached chicken breasts, but I’ve also picked the meat off a rotisserie chicken when in a hurry.  




It may not make a pretty picture, but it more than makes up for it in goodness.  And if you have leftovers, it’s your lucky day!

Chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes is a great hearty homestyle one-dish meal for a crisp evening, any day of the week!

As a side note ~ I was recently reminded that I  have been blogging for 8 years now.  I started this blog October 29, 2009, that's a lot of posts!  Back then, I just wanted a way to organize and document family recipes.

I look back and cringe at some early posts, the writing, the photos.  But what makes up for that is the great people I have virtually "met" along the way.  I feel like I truly know many of you who share the same passion I do:  food.

I've seen a lot of blogs come and go over the years and I've learned a lot along the way from reading what you share ~ whether your travels, books you've read, music you like, food from your kitchen or in restaurants, I've enjoyed it all!

Thank you for all for visiting here and your positive comments!  

And I give a special thank you to our older son, Bill, Jr., Bubba here on my blog, for helping me to start it all!  Couldn't have done it without you, son! 

Here's to 8 more years... 




Yield: 4-6 servings

Midwestern Chicken and Noodles over Mashed Potatoes

Midwestern hearty chicken and noodles at it's best!

INGREDIENTS:


  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 medium white onion, diced
  • 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 large jar of Heinz Homestyle Chicken Gravy
  • 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
  • 4-6 cups chicken broth, divided
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 8 ounces egg noodles
  • 2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Enough mashed potatoes for everyone

INSTRUCTIONS:


  1. In a large skillet, or pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms, and sauté until cooked.
  2. In a liquid measuring cup or blender, whisk 1/4 cup broth and flour until smooth, no lumps. Stir into skillet mixture.
  3. Add remaining broth, gravy and soup to mixture, stir well, bring to a boil.
  4. Add noodles. Cover and cook until noodles are almost tender, about 7 minutes. Add more broth if needed.
  5. Stir in chicken and heat through. Add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
  6. Serve immediately over mashed potatoes.

notes

Add more broth or water as needed, the noodles soak it up.
This dish should be just a touch soupy, but much thicker than a noodle soup.  
Takes about 1 hour, total time to prepare.







Enjoy!







40 comments:

  1. Happy 8 years! PS I love noodles with potatoes.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melynda! Noodles definitely go with potatoes! Take care

      Delete
  2. The chicken dices are so very juicy! This is a delicious and well balanced meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! It is a good comfy dish!

      Delete
  3. Pam, This is pure comfort food...and definitely from the upper mid-west! My kind of dinner but mine would be without the mushrooms. I have to go cook now. We're having breakfast for dinner tonight. Quality local sausage, over-easy eggs, crispy hashbrowns and bakery bread toast with Amish butter. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! It's definitely a good mid-west dish, mushrooms or not! I love breakfast for dinner! And yours sounds the best! Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Happy 8th Blogiversary!
    Chicken, noodles and mashed potatoes - my kind of comfort, inexpensive dish.It's a family meal good for all seasons (winter especially). I like the three both alone and together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duta! It's a delicious dish, lots of carbs for sure! Yes, I like them all too. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  5. Wow- 8 years? It doesn't seem like it's been that long.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Son! No, it doesn't seem possible! It amazes me and I thank you again for helping me get it started. I would not have done it without your help!!! Love you!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! It's good for a chilly evening! Take care. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Well, here we are at 9:38 pm and this has made me hungry.
    Mashed potatoes, I'm there!!

    This looks sooooo good!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melinda! Glad you like it, great for a late snack! ☺ Thanks and have a great week!

      Delete
  8. This sounds great to me - I could eat mashed potatoes several time a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry! I think Bill would say the same, mashed potatoes love! Take care

      Delete
  9. HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY! its been a pleasure watching you grow and grow into the best blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia! You have been a big help doing this! Take care

      Delete
  10. For this dish, I think I could overcome my fear of two starches on the same plate. It's BRAVE to defy the low-carb nuttiness of our time.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae! I try to adhere to the one starch plan, but this is a great exception. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  11. This was a family favorite for us! I haven't thought about it for years. It's really good with grandma's homemade noodles. Just sayin'. Happy blog-o-versary and here's to another eight!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I wish I knew the correct spelling: blog-O-versary, blog-a, or blog-i. Hoping for 8 more. :-)

      Delete
  12. Eight years Pam, congratulations. Isn't it amazing how we connect in this virtual world. Comfort food is the best so why not having mashed potatoes with noodles. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gerlinde! This virtual world is great for connecting! All sorts of good people! Have a wonderful rest of the week! Take care

      Delete
  13. Congrats Pam, 8 years is a long time!!!! I started my blog for almost the same reasons. This chicken dish reminds me of a similiar dish that my mom made, always one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheri! It is a long time, I can't believe it! The recipe is an oldie, but goodie!

      Delete
  14. Happy 8 years! That's a LONG time in internet terms. Congrats on that. And congrats on this dish -- this looks so comforting and good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! Dishes like this chicken are great on a chilly day! Take care

      Delete
  15. Dear Pam, Congrats! I am so blessed to have met you and other nice people in my blogging years as well. You really do feel a connection and bond with these nice blogging friends. I only wish you lived next door!
    My son helped me start a blog as well. I did not even know what a blog was!! lol. I am so glad he did. This dish certainly looks hearty and delish. It is getting cold here and it would certainly be a welcome plate. I am so grateful I met you. You have wonderful recipes and yes we all look back and say I couldn't have taken that picture! did I? lol xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! You're one of the best and I have always enjoyed your blog! It would be great to be neighbors, and I could see what's cooking! Blogging is a good connection to meet people and share recipes, ideas, etc. Have a great rest of the week! xoxo

      Delete
  16. Happy blogiversary!! What a great meal to celebrate with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cakelaw! Those years went by quickly! Enjoy the rest of the week!

      Delete
  17. Whar a comfort food, love it! Happy blogiversary☺

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Natalia! Comfort rules! Take care

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bet you're getting some chilly weather overnight, too. This meal looks like exactly what I'll want for dinner tomorrow. Happy anniversary to your blog. I started about 6 months after you and have some of those awful posts in my archives, too! C'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, funny with the old posts, guess about all of us can say that. Yes, chilly here too! Thanks so much, Liz!

      Delete
  20. Another great Midwestern recipe, Pam, and a great way to use up a rotisserie chicken too! I would definitely keep the mushrooms and perhaps add some frozen peas and have a simple but delicious meal in no time! Congrats on your 8 years of blogging too! I started almost exactly 1 year prior to you. My fist post was October 23 of 2008 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Frozen peas would be a great tasty addition, and add color also. I have enjoyed following your for many of your years. That's a lot of posts we've done and I thank you for your help along the way! Thanks and take care.

      Delete
  21. carbs on carbs, i love it! i think i should've been born in the midwest. :)
    congrats on a milestone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace! Sometimes all those carbs are just what's needed, esp when it's really cold and dreary. Glad you a southern gal though, because of all your great southern dishes, etc.! Take care

      Delete

***************************************************************************
Eat, Drink and Be Thankful!
***************************************************************************
Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam
***************************************************************************




“He shoveled the bacon out on a plate and broke the eggs in the hot grease, and they jumped and fluttered their edges to brown lace and make clucking sounds.”

~ John Steinbeck, East of Eden



DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews