Woo hoo! It's Creamy Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot!


What’s all the buzz about the kitchen appliance, the Instant Pot?  What’s with that?  It’s like a cult following, an obsession.  Is it worth getting one?  It took me a while to buy one, but I caved in, and I’m not sorry.

It’s a wonderful thing!




The Instant Pot is a small appliance with a digital control panel that is programmable for multiple uses ~ it’s a slow cooker, a steamer, a rice cooker or porridge maker, a sauté pan, a yogurt maker and a keep-warm serving pot, all in one convenient pot. It speeds up cooking time, cooking quickly without having to stand over the food.



It’s the most advanced pressure cooker available today, it’s safe to use, easy to clean, quiet and doesn’t heat up the surrounding area ~ a great thing for summertime usage.  Since it’s a multi-cooker, the Instant Pot can replace a number of small appliances around the kitchen.

The first thing I cooked in it was hard-boiled eggs, perfectly, I might add. They cooked quickly in 7 minutes, and were a gem to peal ~ no more hard-boiled eggs looking like craters on the moon and no more nasty green rings around the yolk!

Then I moved on to America’s favorite, mac and cheese.  I loved cooking it this way!  No draining pasta, no second pot for the sauce!  

To put it simply ~ add the ingredients to the pot - let it cook - add milk and cheese - melt the cheese - eat - it is delicious!




If you’ve just acquired an Instant Pot or are considering purchasing one for your kitchen, this is the perfect recipe to start with.  It’s easy, and it makes mealtime a breeze!  

The mac and cheese turns out perfectly delicious!  I’m impressed with the recipe and even more impressed with the Instant Pot and everything it can do.  


Instant Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese
Slightly adapted from Center Cut Cook

Ingredients:

1 pound elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
4 cups water
1 tablespoon dry ground mustard
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup evaporated milk
16 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or combo of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses)
½ cup Parmesan cheese

Method:

Add macaroni, butter, water, mustard, salt and pepper to Instant Pot.
Secure lid, select Manual, and High Pressure for 4 minutes.  
Once complete, use a quick release.  
Open lid and check that the pasta is cooked completely.
If not, select Sauté, and cook for another 2 minutes until pasta is cooked.
Add in evaporated milk and the cheeses. 
Continue to mix and stir until creamy.
Add any extra salt to taste.
Serve hot!
6-8 servings
Printable recipe


Happy cooking!


Comments

  1. Pam Im impressed with the instant pot !!
    Is absolutely new for me.
    Sounds intetesting .
    your plate look delicious !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! It does a great watch and doesn't demand a lot of attention. ☺

      Delete
  2. I love my instant pot too! It's really convenient. Your mac and cheese looks SUPER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! It's amazing how easy it is to use! Take care

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the great review. I still don't have one - and no place to put it. But I was proud that I got out my slow cooker yesterday - it was getting lonely. Beautiful dish of cheesiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good with your slow cooker, Tricia, it's now lonely now! I now what you mean about space for things, I'm all out of it now. 😊 Cheese rules! Take care

      Delete
  4. Dear Pam, I love mac and cheese!!
    I am so glad you are enjoying this new appliance. That is always wonderful and you will have fun finding new dishes to enjoy with it.
    xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! Mac and cheese makes me happy, happy! 😊 Have a great rest of the week! xoxo

      Delete
  5. We are totally out of room for another gadget but glad it works well for you. I prefer this kind of M&C to the baked versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, Larry! The M&C didn't dry out like it does in the oven sometimes. Have a good day!

      Delete
  6. Enjoy your new, terrific multi-cooker!
    The macaroni and cheese (in your recipe a combination of ceddar cheese and parmesan cheese) is a popular, comfort dish. Its creamy, rich texture makes one hooked on it. I'm always for a seond helping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duta! The mac and cheese was very creamy and cheesy and good. Hope all is well your way! Take care

      Delete
  7. Pam, Very interesting little cooking aid! My better half will be very interested in checking it out...and she loves Mac 'n Cheese... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! It's a great little appliance that can be used many ways. And it's easy to clean. Mac 'n Cheese is so good made this way. Have a great rest of the week!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi Melinda! Yummy is the word! Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Wow, how amazing Pam...4 minutes? I love it!
    Have a fantastic week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you need to get a meal on quickly, this appliance will do it. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  10. A friend of my uses an instapot and I tell you what? They look handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's takes a little getting used to, but I like it more each time! Thanks, Ivy!

      Delete
  11. Don't have an Instant Pot, but been thinking of getting one -- they sound so interesting. And recipes like this sure tempt me! This looks terrific -- thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sort of different, John and it's surprising what all they can do. I like all the features. Have a good rest of the week!

      Delete
  12. Have I been living under a rock, I think I may have heard of this Instant Pot lol. but looks like a great idea and a great recipe for it. Love homemade from scratch mac-n-cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those things, Evelyne! It seemed like I saw it everywhere for a while. Homemade mac-n-cheese is great! ☺

      Delete
  13. I will be visiting my daughter soon who has one, and then will decide if I "need" this. Happy to hear you like it. Actually, I don't recall anyone saying they don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! After having the IP for a while, I'm sold on it, no more slow cooker, etc. It's easy to use, and I like it more each time I use it. It cooks quickly, has a wide variety of functions and the stainless steel inner pot is easy to clean. Food from a slow cooker always had an "off" taste to me, the IP doesn't, even when food is in the "keep warm" mode for a good while. Hope you like it when you visit your daughter!

      Delete
  14. I have heard a lot about instant pots. They sound wonderful. It looks like it makes great looking mac and cheese. I hope you share more recipes that you make in your instant pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! I will post more IP recipes before long. Take care

      Delete
  15. Interesting, not sure if they are even available here. I have so many gadgets and so few get used to their maximum that I know Nigel would look at me in horror if I even mentioned it LOL. Sounds great though.
    Keep well Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Diane, with the gadgets! I've gotten rid of many of them, but this one is a keeper for me! It's easy, easy with a quick clean-up. Take care

      Delete
  16. OK, I don't have an InstaPot but I have a pressure cooker.... Are they the same? This mac and cheese looks wonderful and such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amy! Yes, I think they're pretty much the same but the IP can sauté, be a slow cooker, cook rice, and does a few other things the PC can't do, and it doesn't scare me.☺

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I have been thinking about one of these, they seem so versatile. Also love the changes you made to your site, looks awesome Pam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice of you, Cheri! Thanks! Hope you're having a wonderful day!

      Delete
  19. I still haven't caved, but your speedy, delicious mac and cheese may be the recipe that changed my mind!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It took me a while but I really like it. I have no room for any more gadgets so that's it! ☺

      Delete
  20. Dear Pam, Wishing you a beautiful Mother's Day! Your friend Catherine xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Catherine! Happy Mother's Day to you also, hope you're enjoying it! xoxo Take care

      Delete
  21. OK, so where have I been?? Haven't heard of this magical appliance but if that mac 'n cheese is an endorsement, I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Debra! There are so many gadgets, it's nearly impossible to keep up with them! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  22. i've been tempted, but i haven't taken the plunge yet. i have to admit that this batch of mac and cheese looks extra tasty...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________