Growing up on the farm, Sunday dinner at noon was always a feast, many times with Aunt Jessie, Aunt Lucy and Ronnie joining us at the table.
I remember it all with good memories, except this one time:
Aunt Jessie, actually Dad’s aunt, my great aunt, was a tiny proper little lady, who wore pince-nez glasses…
Neither one Aunt Jessie, but the glasses are similar
On this particular day, Mom made roasted pork for our Sunday meal, and I got to sit at the dinner table beside Aunt Jessie. I liked to talk a lot, and this one time I became more than a little animated in the story I was telling. I swung my hand with a fork in it, right up to Aunt Jessie's glasses ~ hooked the side of them ~ and hurled her pince-nez glasses clear across the table.
Not a good moment, but then I was probably only around 7 or 8 years old.
Mom always went the limit with meals of fried chicken, roast beef or roast pork like this.
I carried the Sunday dinner tradition on until the boys got older, and life carried on, ball games, etc.
Easy, peasy and good eating for Sunday dinner or anytime!
Ingredients:
1 (2-3 pounds) pork loin roast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground mustard
½ teaspoon dried oregano
Method:
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine seasonings in a small bowl.
Liberally pat seasonings onto roast.
Place meat on a rack in roasting pan.
Bake, uncovered, 2 to 2½ hours, until thermometer registers 155°.
Allow pork to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Serve
Printable recipe
Enjoy!


Oops! Hope great aunt wasn't too upset with you :-)) The pork roast looks really juicy and delicious, Pam.
ReplyDeleteHi Angie! Well, I shook her day up a little bit! Thanks and you have a wonderful week!
DeletePam, We love a good pork roast! We have one in the freezer that we plan to serve to my wife's sisters when they come over from St. Louis to visit us next month...Thanks for the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave
ReplyDeleteHi Dave! Pork rules!
Deletewhat lovely post! And you always cook pork roast and look amazing !! xoxo
ReplyDeleteThanks, Gloria! We really liked it! xoxo
DeleteGreat story about Aunt Jessie - I hope she had a sense of humour about it. Your pork looks devine!
ReplyDeleteThanks cakelaw! She did, it was OK. The pork was great!
DeleteFunny how we connect meals to memories and what we remember. Your pork roast makes for a fabulous Sunday dinner.
ReplyDeleteVelva-Tomatoes on the Vine
Hi Velva! Yes, so many meals and memories! Those were the days! ☺
DeleteWe all seem to have a few embarrassing childhood stories. Pork roast looks nice and moist.
ReplyDeleteHi Larry! Yes, we do! Thanks!
DeleteI love that you carried on the tradition of Sunday dinner. We have a once a month Sunday dinner with our adult children, their spouses and kids. It is always greatly enjoyed by everyone. I'll have to try this pork sometime! Thanks Pam - enjoyed the funny story too :)
ReplyDeleteThat's sounds great, Tricia! Once a month family dinner would be wonderful. Hope you're having a perfect week! Take care
DeleteFun story -- you'll never forget that incident! And I'd never forget this pork roast -- love this dish! Good stuff -- thanks.
ReplyDeleteThanks, John! I'm sure I won't forget it. Glad you like the pork roast! Take care
DeleteCute story to go with your delicious Sunday meal, Pam :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Susan! Those were the days!
DeleteI love a good pork roast and yours looks delicious. We always had Sunday lunches at our farm in Germany.
ReplyDeleteI do too Gerlinde! And I love Germany too! Thanks!
DeleteMeals and memories wow they do not come better than that. Have a good day Diane
ReplyDeleteThanks, Diane! Take care
DeleteOops! Hopefully she wasn't too upset. This looks like a delicious meal!
ReplyDeleteShe was OK, Amy! Glad you like the meal!
DeleteThat is a lovely story, Pam. Thanks for sharing it with us.
ReplyDeleteCute story, Pam....yummy pork roast!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Barbara! We love pork roasts!
DeleteWhat a fun memory! We love pork roast around here and your rub sounds like the perfect seasoning!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Liz! We love pork roast here too!
DeleteDear Pam, I loved Sunday dinner growing up. Always lots of people and noise and good fun. Things like this usually happened and later years are fun to remember. The pork is always a delicious meal one of my favorites. xoxo Catherine
ReplyDeleteYes, Catherine! Those were the days, I loved Sunday dinner too! It seemed like something memorable always happened. Glad you like the pork! xoxo
DeleteYou didn't even mention that pork roast leftovers are the best.
ReplyDeletegreat memories!... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
You're right, Mae! Not much is better than a good pork roast sandwich! Have a good day!
DeleteOh my! You didn't say what happened to her glasses! I feel like there's more of the story left to tell.
ReplyDeletewhat a funny story! it's lovely to have such vivid memories! i love the look of this pork--the juices are practically oozing out!
ReplyDelete