all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Make Your Own No-Salt Montreal Steak Seasoning!

 
I’m a big fan of Montreal Steak Seasoning, 
with the exception of the 
large quantity of salt it contains; 
I’d rather add salt to food separately.






Montreal Steak Seasoning was the signature blend used by Montreal butchers to dry-brine grilled and smoked meats.  Its flavor is similar to Easter European pickling spices, and is at its best when sprinkled on beef; however, it’s the perfect seasoning to perk up other meats, seafood, plus vegetables, and stews.

There are a ton of versions of this seasoning, that works well as a dry rub also. You could substitute smoked paprika, thyme, or rosemary, the possibilities are endless.  It’s super easy to make, especially in a Ninja processor.




By the way, if you’ve never used the Ninja Master Prep, you should go for it.  It can perform every function of a food processor, and more, in a flash, just like a Ninja warrior would.  I use it for everything…  from chopping ice to blending smoothies, shredding meat, to chopping veggies for salsa.





I’ve had more than my share of expensive food processors and threw them all to the curb after Bubba introduced to the Ninja!  

The price is right, cleanup is a snap, it takes up little space. It’s powerful, more than words can say!





And this No-Salt Montreal Steak Seasoning is powerful also ~  about as close to the real thing as you can get! 
Give it a try!




No-Salt Montreal Steak Seasoning

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
2 tablespoons crushed black pepper
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon dill seed
1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes
2 teaspoons mustard seed

Method:

Combine all ingredients, mix well, crush slightly, using mortar and pestle or pulse once or twice in a food processor.
Store at room temperature, tightly capped in an airtight container away from heat and light.
Keeps for 1 year.
Printable recipe


Enjoy!



Disclaimer:  The opinions here are my own, no compensation for products.


33 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I prefer make my own spice blend as they are usually fresher and cheaper than the storebought one. Thanks for sharing, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! You're right! This way you know exactly what it consists of! Take care

      Delete
  2. I was hoping you would post this as we like Montreal but I've gotten items too salty with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry! That was the problem here, I liked a heavy dose of the McCormick's seasoning but then it was way too salty!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, I love the seasoning but also want to control how much salt. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Melynda! Hope you make it and like it!

      Delete
  4. I hate the amount of salt most seasoning blends contain. Better to make your own. This looks terrific -- such a nice combo of flavors. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! It surprises me how often I use it!

      Delete
  5. this is very useful, pam! i've often wondered about the components about certain seasonings, and i'm happy to know the secrets of montreal steak seasoning (without all of the salt)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Needs more garlic. Just saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey son! I know there can never be too much garlic for you! You're a Garlicholic for sure!

      Delete
  7. That looks excellent, Pam. I really like the idea of no salt....adding your own if you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! Glad you like it!

      Delete
  8. We are trying to watch our salt intake and this is a perfect way to spice up our food and not miss any flavor, love this Pam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheri! Lots of flavor in this this!

      Delete
  9. Pinning this to my Gift board for next Christmas (If I can wait that long)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, Thanks for the spice recipe! We should be able to give it a try after we finish using up 3 giant containers of Costco steak seasoning! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! That's a lot of seasoning, happy cooking! Take care

      Delete
  11. I have almost everything.

    I've heard great things about the Ninja. Very cool.

    Thanks for this post and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivy! Have a great weekend and boggie boogie!

      Delete
  12. Oh yea Pam.....thanks for this recipe.. Got to love the Ninja Master prep. Enjoy a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm definitely going to give your seasoning a try. As you said, I like to add my own amount of salt to a recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Karen! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  14. Oh I'm going to try this!! The price to buy is so high!! Thanks for the review on the Ninja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tangos Treasures, I agree. And the Ninja is super easy and speedy!

      Delete
  15. So cool to see someone blog about Montreal Steak Spice, my city! Great idea to make it salt-less and then add as you wish after. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always good to make our own spice mixing.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam