Chewy Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies on NPBD!




11%!

That’s the percentage of people who admitted they’ve eaten an entire jar of peanut butter in a single sitting, per a Peter Pan Simply Ground survey of over 1,000 subjects.

12% of those people claimed that they have hidden while eating peanut butter or lied about how much they ate.  

I get it!  I’m not ashamed to say that I’ve eaten peanut butter by the spoonful, and in honor of peanut butter…


Today is National 
Peanut Butter 
Day!

Creamy or chunky ~
with chocolate, with jelly or Miracle Whip ~
peanut butter has been an American staple for generations.


Here’s 
a little nutty trivia 
for you…

    ~ George Washington Carver did not invent peanut butter, contrary to popular belief.   Instead, he promoted more than 300 uses for peanuts, including items like:  pancake flour, laxatives, diesel fuel, colored paper, shampoo, shaving cream, paints, antiseptic soaps, printer’s ink, linoleum, laundry soap, goiter treatments, dyes, face bleach, various cosmetic products such as face powders and creams. 

    ~ John Harvey Kellogg, M.D., of cereal fame, is credited with patenting a process for turning raw peanuts into a butter-like spread in 1895.


    ~ The average peanut farm is 100 acres, one acre of peanuts will make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.   


    ~ It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.


    ~ Two former United  States Presidents, Thomas Jefferson and Jimmy Carter, were peanut farmers and have contributed to the production of peanut butter in the U.S.


    ~ Eating just a tablespoon of peanut butter is known to help lower high blood sugar in diabetics.


      ~ Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth.


    ~ The Jif plant in Lexington, Kentucky is reportedly the largest peanut butter factory in the world.
   

Moving on to this great recipe...



Soft, chewy cookies packed with luscious peanut butter flavor is truly the way I really like peanut butter. 

This recipe combines two cookie jar favorites:  peanut butter and oats.  These cookies combine the softness of peanut butter cookies and the chewiness of oatmeal cookies, unlike traditional crunchy peanut butter cookies.

Bake these cookies for about only 9 minutes, until a very light golden brown; over-baking will result in a crunchy cookie.

A peanut butter cookie doesn’t get any better than this.  I doubled the recipe and shared.

They are about the best peanut butter cookie you’ll ever bake! 

These peanut butter cookies are chewy, peanutty delicious!




Enjoy your peanut butter on this 

National Peanut Butter Day!


Chewy Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients:

½ cup shortening
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
¾ cup white sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1½ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking oats

Method:

Preheat oven to 350°.
In a large bowl, cream together shortening, butter, brown sugar, white sugar, peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.
Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended.
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture.
Mix in the oats until just combined.  
Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, until just light brown.
Don’t over-bake.
Cool and store in an airtight container.
Makes 48 cookies
Printable recipe


Enjoy!




52 comments:

  1. We are peanut butter fan too. These look fantastic, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Pam...I love all the interesting facts about peanuts and peanut butter...the cookies look fabulous...and yes, oatmeal sounds great with peanut butter...yum!
    Thanks for the recipe and have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juliana! The oatmeal addition is great, a chewy cookie! Thanks for the visit and take care.

      Delete
  3. Can't remember my last peanut butter cookie but yours look like some I would not be able to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry! Wish I could give samples!

      Delete
  4. Dear Pam, I am not ashamed to say I LOVE peanut butter and I too have eaten by the spoonful!!
    I would enjoy a nice cookie right now with my coffee. Have a wonderful day and keep warm. xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! PB is great by the spoonful, love it! You have a wonderful day too! Take care Hugs

      Delete
  5. I am looking forward to these..oatmeal and PB..one of my fave combos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a whole jar? gack! and peanut butter with miracle whip? that's a combo i've never tried, for sure. these cookies look absolutely perfect and are a fitting tribute for the holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace! Yes, a whole jar sounds like a bit much. But I do like a PB and Miracle Whip sandwich! :-)

      Delete
  7. Two of my favorite cookies wrapped up in one…I say yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Glad you like them also!

      Delete
  8. Love peanut butter. In fact had some on crackers for lunch today. Now I should make these cookies for dessert, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, John, you probably should! And that sounds like my kind of lunch! Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  9. Hi Pam, these are my favorite cookies, will be making my own later this evening, have been looking for a recipe like this for ages, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheri! They're good ones. Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. Hi Pam, just wanted to let you know that I made these cookies and they are delicious, thank you!!!!!

      Delete
    3. Great, Cheri! Glad you like them too! Thanks so much for letting me know! You made my day!!!

      Delete
  10. There are certainly worse things to binge on than peanut butter. We love the stuff and peanut butter cookies are a favorite! Love the oats in these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Yes, that's my way of thinking with the binging also. PB rules! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. LOL - I have never eaten a jar of peanut butter, but I could definitely eat a few of these delicious looking cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Me either, but there's always the possibility! 😉 A couple of these cookies works fine for me!

      Delete
  12. Oats and peanut butter in one cookie? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only problem with these cookies were that you didn't make enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fear, son! Don't you be looking in the freezer in the garage! ☺

      Delete
  14. I love your PB statistics and historic info! Glad to know it's time to eat peanut butter.

    best. . .mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae! I was amazed that the Jif plant is located in Lexington, near Louisville, where I grew up! Take care

      Delete
  15. I am one of those weird people that does not like plain pb just pb cookies! I'd happily take a batch of yours off your hands---they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, Liz, Bill would agree with you. Wish I could share them. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  16. Wow - I love the addition of oats! Brilliant for sure. I've never eaten that much peanut butter in one setting, but give me a bag of chocolate chips to go with it and I can hurt myself - haha. Thanks for all the interesting peanut butter trivia! Happy weekend Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Tricia, funny with the chocolate chips! Sounds yummy to me! Glad you liked it and you have a fun weekend! :-)

      Delete
  17. I'm not ashamed to say it either....I eat pb right out of the jar. Often. And my favorite sandwich is pb and honey...it was my father's favorite and I agreed! Love your cookies; I've never used oats in mine, will definitely try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, PB and honey, have to try that, sounds great, Barbara! Oats makes the cookies nice and chewy, just don't bake too long. Thanks, and take care.

      Delete
  18. The oatmeal cookies are looking so yummy.. I love to have.. I can't bake good cookies... my husband always tells that I yet to master the art of baking cookies... :)

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krishna! This is a great cookie to bake for your hubby, if he likes PB! :-)

      Delete
  19. Aww Pam!! you are such a sweet person.. Thanks a lot for your comment!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Krishna! ☺️ I like your interesting blog!

      Delete
  20. I've never tried adding oats to peanut butter cookies, but I'm sure that makes them extra healthy! Can't WAIT to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abbe! They're really good and chewy!

      Delete
  21. Pam, We both love peanut butter and oat based peanut butter cookies. These look luscious! We just got back from a road trip and I'm catching up on my reading... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave! They are definitely luscious cookies. Glad you're catching up! :-)

      Delete
  22. Ok, I need a cookie! like now! right now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I prepped these late this aft..for tomorrow..baked one:)Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Monique! Glad you liked the cookies, I'm addicted to them!

      Delete
  24. Great cookie recipe, I guess that the peanut butter is a bit different here in New Zealand, I always get the salted crunchy type, but the kids don't like it, it is mostly for my husband's toasts... and he loves peanut butter cookies too! Also surprised that people could eat a whole jar in a sitting... cannot quite imagine that... maybe here they could eat a whole jar of nutella??? Lol! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Alessandra! I love PB too but no way could I eat a whole jar like that. These would work fine with crunch PN, which is what we normally eat.

      Delete

🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒

The smells of slow cooking spread around the house and impart a unique warmth matched only by the flavour of the food.
~ Yotam Ottolenghi

🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam

🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒





Christmas cookies and happy hearts ~

that is the way

the holiday starts!




DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews