all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Monday, September 12, 2016

Quick Banana Bread


Do you remember  
The Joy of Cooking 
cookbook?  


My 1972 edition is still going strong, still used today.

The strange thing is I like the flavor of bananas, but the mushy texture grosses me out.  That’s when banana bread enters the scene.





This is a great simple recipe for the bread.  I adapted the original a touch by adding vanilla extract and scattering nuts over the top before baking, instead of combing them with the batter. 




If you prefer, add ½ cup of chopped nuts and ¼ cup finely chopped apricots to the batter, and then a sprinkling of turbinado sugar over the top of the loaf before baking.

That just could be the way to go!








Here's the recipe...

Quick Banana Bread
Printable recipe

Preheat oven to 350°.

Sift before measuring:
1¾ cups all-purpose flour

Resift with:
2¼ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt

Blend until creamy:
⅓ cup shortening
⅔ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon grated lemon rind

Beat in:
1 beaten egg
1¼ cups ripe banana pulp (about 3 bananas)

Add the sifted ingredients in about 3 parts to the sugar mixture.
Beat the batter after each addition until smooth.
Place batter in a greased 9 x 5 x 3 inches loaf pan.
Scatter ½ cup chopped walnuts over top.
Bake the bread until brown on top and done in the center (poke with a toothpick; it should come out clean) for 50 to 55 minutes.
Let stand in pan for 10 minutes, turn out on wire rack.
Cool completely before slicing.



Enjoy!


32 comments:

  1. I do love the add of vanilla and walnut topping. The bread looks awesome, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way---if I eat a banana, it has to be firm. But I do love banana bread---and yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, guess great minds think alike! :-)

      Delete
  3. Pam, Banana bread is one of my wife's favorite comfort foods! She eats it for breakfast or even for dessert after dinner... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave! She knows what's good! Take care

      Delete
  4. I love me some good banana bread, espcially with nuts. of course i know that cookbook, a great one still today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Evelyne! I agree with the nuts, for sure!

      Delete
  5. I like mine with nuts, but never thought in adding chopped apricot...treat idea Pam...thanks for sharing this quick recipe.
    Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juliana! Dates, raisins, on and on would be good in the bread. You have a good week!

      Delete
  6. Hi Pam: Yes, I do, still use my Joy Of Cooking. It's stained, broken in the back and tattered. Also, kindred spirit, the Joy's Banana Bread recipe is the best I've ever had. That recipe and the whole grain pancakes are two recipes I use over and over again. Thanks for the reminder! Kathie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathie! It's an oldie but goodie that I still use, classic cooking. I'll have to check out the pancakes now! You have a good rest of the week!

      Delete
  7. Yup, I've got 2 of that cookbook. One about the same age as yours. And one of the more recent editions. The earlier ones are better -- the later ones removed some of my favorites! Anyway, wonderful stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! It's a great cookbook and I need to look at the recent editions. Take care

      Delete
  8. Bannana bread is a wonderful addition to the series of fruit breads. Popular fruits used: raisins, currants, apricots. Some ingredients to enhance flavor are cinnamon and nuts.
    Your banana bread looks yummy and I'm sure it tstes delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Duta! Cinnamon would be a great addition in this recipe. I Will do that next time. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Lovely bread, Pam! A slice or two is perfect for tea-time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! You're right! Take care

      Delete
  10. I feel exactly the same way you do about bananas. Mushy - ewww! I haven't made banana bread in so long but with cooler weather coming I'm feeling the urge, especially after seeing yours. Love the nuts on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Great minds think alike. Hope you enjoy the bread!

      Delete
  11. Banana bread s my favourite! I love the smell in the kitchen and of course the taste, your bread looks amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I mash nanners into my porridge but for Tim, he doesn't like that texture either. So I understand where you're coming from.

    Hope you had a yummy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy! Love the taste though. Have a great rest of the week!

      Delete
  13. Love this banana cake look absolutely stunning Pam ! Just delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! It's really tasty good!

      Delete
  14. I absolutely love banana bread and I still have a copy of the Joy of Cooking as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it also, Amy and the cookbook too! Take care

      Delete
  15. you know, i've tried a hundred banana bread recipes (maybe not quite that many), and i'm pretty sure i've never seen one with shortening! definitely worth a try!

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam