all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Monday, August 22, 2016

Crispy Cucumber, Celery & Sweet Onion Salad w/Sour Cream Dressing



You’re familiar with the old rule of thumb, you should drink eight glasses of water per day, some experts say more… 






That seems like quite a grind to me most days, but here’s the catch:  You don’t have to drink all that water...

Roughly 20% of our daily water intake comes from solid foods, especially fruits and vegetables.

Cucumbers have the highest water content of any solid food at 97%, and they truly do have a cooling effect on the body, so there is some truth to the phrase, “cool as a cucumber”.

While it’s still important to drink plenty of water, especially on hot days, eating cucumber is a great way to get some of that fluid into your body and quench your thirst at the same time.

But, the great refreshing cucumber taste is the best part, and this slightly adapted Country Living recipe provides the proof ~






It’s a fresh, crunchy, tasty salad of cucumber, celery, and onion; enhanced with a touch of dill and seasonings,  swimming in a creamy tangy dressing coating.    

It’ll perk up your taste buds, for sure!







Cucumber, Celery & Sweet Onion Salad w/Sour Cream Dressing
Printable recipe      

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons sour cream
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
2 large cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1 medium sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
Salt and seasoned pepper, to taste

Method:

Whisk together sour cream, oil, lemon juice, dill, and sugar in a bowl.
Season with salt and seasoned pepper.
Add vegetables and toss to combine.
8 servings


 Enjoy!



35 comments:

  1. So refreshing and crunchy...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! Just what we need on these hot summer days!

      Delete
  2. Pam, Pretty salad, one that my better half would really appreciate on the dining table. Me not so much...as I don't like onions unless they're cooked down and pretty much dissolved in the dish. Weird huh!? Drives my wife crazy! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, David! We eat a lot of onions here, but I have a niece who won't touch them either so I get it.

      Delete
  3. Light and refreshing dish! I'm a great lover of cucumbers and sour cream(greek yoghourt instead of sour cream will also do the job).
    As for drinking 8 glasses of water - that's probably a myth, as most of the water is indeed in the fruits and veggies that we eat.
    Beautiful picture of your salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duta! Drinking that much water would drive me crazy and straight to the bathroom! Glad it's a myth. Take care

      Delete
  4. This is totally my type of salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Katerina! Glad you like it.

      Delete
  5. I love salads like this! And cucumbers are one of my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! I love cucumbers too!

      Delete
  6. Love this salad. I think celery is so underrated when it adds so much. Can't wait to try this and I even have celery in the fridge and cukes in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abbe! Hope you like it! I so agree about celery, it has a unique taste that adds a lot of flavor to dishes and is crunchy too. Take care

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, William! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  8. I love crunchy salads and this looks like a fantastic one. Summer prefection in a bowl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheri! Glad you like it!

      Delete
  9. This salad reminds my of my in-laws. My FIL never liked cucumbers until he finally took a bite of my MIL's cucumber sour cream salad. I love the sound of your dressing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! Nice that it brought back good memories!

      Delete
  10. This looks great, (but I would need to blanch the onion...) we just got a new batch of celery at the co-op market, I should make this. I am always looking for new salads that do not contain lettuce. Thanks Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melynda! I love different summertime salads omitting lettuce also!

      Delete
  11. Some fun cucumber facts there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat dish! Love cucumbers, and we have a bunch in our garden. I know what I'm making later this week! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I drink at least 4 liters a day, without trying. But I love the stuff and it always makes me poop better, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy! Good to know that! :-) I'm definitely not much of a water drinker.

      Delete
    2. Do you like herbal tea? I love that too.

      Delete
  14. Sounds delicious!! Thank you for sharing! Enjoy the rest of your week.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Easy and good my two faves about a recipe.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melinda! That's what I like too!

      Delete
  16. This sounds so delicious. a Perfect summer salad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are on the same page Pam - this looks and sounds wonderful. I know I would love it. You just can't beat a fresh salad like this!

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam