Better than Robert Redford aka Chocolate Lush for Labor Day


It might be “Girdle Buster,” “Almost a Sin,” “Chocolate Delight,” “Better than Robert Redford,” or maybe, it’s “Better than Sex,” you get the idea…

ChocolateLush
Whatever you call it, it’s an “oldie, but goodie” for all you chocoholics out there, that’s known to us as Chocolate Lush.  

Lush in pan

Great flavors mingle together in your mouth with every decadent bite.  Be adventurous and make it with your favorite pudding.  I think lemon is great, but the chocolate version rules here.  

The pecan crust is what makes it special.  It goes with any flavor pudding, and contains no sugar, making it a perfect balance for the sweet layers topping it.

Spread over the crust is a smooth layer of powdered sugar, cream cheese, and Cool Whip.  Topping that is the layer of cream chocolate pudding, then more Cool Whip is spread over the pudding.  

Finally, scatter a few chopped nuts for the finish.

Ooooohhhhh,  it’s a heavenly thing ~ maybe it should be called Heavenly Lush!

And, perfect for a Labor Day holiday dessert!

Chocolate Lush
Printable recipe

Ingredients:

Bottom layer:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1½ cups flour
¼ cup chopped pecans, plus more for garnish
1½ sticks butter, softened
Mix all 3 ingredients, spread in 13” x 9” pan.
Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden.
Cool.
(Can be refrigerated overnight.)

Second layer:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1 cup powdered sugar
1 (9-ounce) Cool Whip, divided
Using electric mixer, blend cream cheese, vanilla, sugar, and 1 cup Cool Whip.
Spread over first layer.
Place in refrigerator and let set 1 hour or overnight.

Third layer:
2 small boxes instant chocolate pudding
3 cups cold milk
Mix pudding with milk.
Beat until dissolved and spread over second layer.

Top layer:
Spread with remaining Cool Whip.
Scatter ½ cup chopped pecans over all for garnish.
Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
Serve

ENJOY!

Comments

  1. oh yes this looks fantastic! I love this crust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Pam. This looks amazing! Chocolate is definitely the way to go with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, thanks! Bill thinks too also!

      Delete
  3. Dear Pam,
    Yes, this one can bring you over the edge for sure...I love it! The crust sounds very good and the chocolate, well let's just say that I am one of those chocoholics. This dessert is perfect for anytime, but a wonderful treat for Labor Day weekend. Too yummy and I like the name called "Heavenly Lush." Thanks for sharing...have a great one!
    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dottie! It's so good it melts in your mouth! And it is perfect for any time. "Heavenly Lush" it is! Take care

      Delete
  4. Howdy Pam , I'm back and just in time , did you say better than Redford or Sex , I love chocolate , this is a must make this week and one for Labor Day , with my family maybe 2 . Thanks for sharing :) Nee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nee! Yep, it is! It's luscious, chocolaty and good! Hope you like it, should you make it! :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh, my! This is decadent! We have called this "Holy Smoke" here. I should work this into the plans for the week-end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nellie! "Holy Smoke" works for me! Hope you have a great LD weekend!

      Delete
  6. I think I'll just dive right in. I adore chocolate.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, Sam! It's a wonderful thing!

      Delete
  7. Pam, Believe it or not, despite the fact that I'm from the Midwest and now live in the south, I've never had Chocolate Lush...or any version thereof! It looks great. We'll be in trouble when my wife sees this chocolate filled masterpiece! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, David! This recipe has been around for what seems like forever and is an "oldie but goodie" for sure! Take care

      Delete
  8. Lush, this is! But next to Robert Redford? Well...He is looking a bit old...But still not bad...I'll take both, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right on spot, Abbe! I thought the same thing---he's definitely over the hill now! I'll take the dessert by any name!

      Delete
  9. Wow, better than nookie. That's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy, yep! That would be a great name for it too!

      Delete
    2. lolol, you just cracked me up. But yeah, it would be. Nookie is such a fun word.

      Delete
    3. Ha! You always crack me up, Ivy!

      Delete
  10. I've never had chocolate lush, but I love all the heavenly layers you have stacked here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie! Those layers are all good things piled together for a yummy treat!

      Delete
  11. I love crusts made from nuts! Walnut is nice, but pecan is the best. This is a wonderful dish -- my kind of stuff! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, John! I like walnut and pecan both. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  12. This is definitely an "oldie but goodie"! I haven't made this in years, Pam. We enjoy the Lemon Lush- creamy & refreshing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Judy! I like the lemon also, but the chocoholics here go for this one. Take care

      Delete
  13. i'm not sure i could top the chocolate version of this, but i wouldn't mind giving coconut a try! :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace! I never thought of that---must try it! Thanks!!!

      Delete
  14. This is such a classic dessert but I haven't had it in years! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! Yes it is. It's still good.

      Delete
  15. Wow this dessert sounds wonderful. You are right this would be a great dessert for Labor Day. Need to run to the store:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Geraldine! It's smooth, creamy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Better than Robert Redford? Well, if you say so. It does sound delicious!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Bonnie! I just know it's good! Take care

      Delete
  18. This brings back fond memories of family gatherings on my husband's side of the family! Back when Robert Redford really was a hottie :) His aunt always brought "Luscious Dessert" which is this very same recipe. We all loved it! She made hers with French Vanilla pudding but I think the chocolate version would be a great way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks! I learned about this from my husband's side of the family also. And Bill would like the vanilla version for sure! Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  19. Bettet than Robert Refford ???
    Oh dear ! Really look amazing !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds divine! Hope you're having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! why have I never had this before? This looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've always loved this recipe! Didn't get it this summer - but I will keep trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Pam!! Oh wow this cake looks so light and airy and just fabulous in every way :D ...I would love a big 'ol slice of this. Haha I love the title...and I love Robert Redford too ;)

    Hope you had a wonderful Labor Day weekend.

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________