Stuffed Cucumbers ~ the 2nd Time Around

Thanks to Alice, my late mother-in-law, it’s the same old question every summer:
“When are you making stuffed cucumbers?”

The truth is, it’s my pleasure to make the dish, I enjoy cooking it, and I wouldn’t dream of not making stuffed cucumbers!

1 this cucbowl
My MIL introduced me to stuffed cucumbers many years ago; I posted it over 5 years ago, way back here ~ it begged to be posted again, it’s that good! 

A little time consuming, it might be, but it’s easy, not a plethora of ingredients; with the results amazing you, making your diners happy to be around your table.

To start, peel the cucumbers, and removed the seeds carefully.  Let them soak in salt water while you tend to the rest of the recipe.

Meatcucsbowl
I used canned tomatoes, incorporate fresh tomatoes from your garden, if you wish.  
Add chopped onions, seasonings and a touch of brown sugar to cut the acidity.  
Simmer on medium-low heat while stuffing cucumbers.

Cucsinpan
This time, to season the meat, I used McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Seasoning, plus a sprinkling of ground basil.  This was the best, all the meat needed, and I will be doing that from now on!

Stuff the cucumbers with the meat, place in the sauce and simmer until transparent.

Cucsinpanwwmeatballs
A perfect summertime meal to us, with a crusty bread and a salad of mesclun greens ~ I’m hoping you give it a go ~ and like it too!

Stuffed Cucumbers

Ingredients:
6 cucumbers, ends cut off and peeled

For the sauce:
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomates
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste

Ingredients for the meat:
3 pounds extra-lean ground beef*
4 tablespoons McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
2 teaspoons dried basil

Method:
Peel cucumbers, cut off ends until you can see the seeds; carefully scoop out seeds with a knife, without cutting through meat of cucumber.
Add 1 teaspoon of salt to water in a large bowl.
Add cucumbers and let soak for 30 minutes or so (while you make the sauce and meat.)
In a large pot, add tomato products, onion, brown sugar and salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer while preparing meat and cucumbers, stirring occasionally.
Combine ground beef and seasonings for the stuffing and meatballs.
Drain cucumbers.
Stuff cucumbers carefully with the meat.
Place stuffed cucumbers in tomato sauce.
Cook on medium-low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the cucumbers are slightly transparent, stirring occasionally. (Cooked too long, the cucumbers will break apart.)
Serve stuffed cucumbers in a bowl with a couple of meatballs.
*Use less meat if you do not want meatballs.

ENJOY!

 

29 comments:

  1. I've never had nor heard of stuffed cucumbers! They look delicious!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! We love them!!!

      Delete
  2. Pam, I like cucumbers but I'm with Bonnie. I'd never heard of stuffed cucumbers either... Very cleaver! Another way to get our veggies and satisfy my carnivorous needs... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! It is clever, and I guess it was her original recipe due to a surplus of cucs. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Never heard of these..like David and Bonnie..but they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nana, thanks! They are really great! Take care

      Delete
  4. Hi Pam,
    I have never heard of stuffed cucumbers with meat before. I have seen and made stuffed cucumbers with a cheese stuffing for appetizers. You cut them in rounds and fill them with cream cheese mix. I love your dish..it is so delicious looking and different. Simple and like you said not many ingredients...I will have to try this...thanks for sharing..enjoy your weekend!
    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dottie! Your appetizers sound great, perfect for summer! My friend in school used to eat cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches. So much good food! Take care

      Delete
  5. Cooking a cucumber seems like a contradiction, though I tried it once long ago. I think I used a Julia Child recipe, though it wasn't with tomato sauce. That sounds very interesting. Family traditions are often the best.

    Good to hear from you... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, you never know till you try it! Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  6. certainly peeked my interests I love everything in here, never heard of them but would love one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been AGES since I last had some stuffed cucumbers. They look so delicious in that tomato sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them too, Angie! Have a great day!

      Delete
  8. Hi Pam, very interesting stuffed cucumber. And the stuffed cucumber drowning in the sauce look really inviting. :))
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe.

    Have a nice day, regards
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ameilia! It's something out of the ordinary that we really like! Take care

      Delete
  9. This is such a neat recipe! I've never had cucumbers prepared like this (in fact, I'm not sure I've ever even had them cooked before). I'm pinning this to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of this! It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard of this! It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i;ve never heard of these but they do sound delicious. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow I need to make this dish with th cucumbers I have growing in my garden. I have never had Stuffed Cucumbers they looks delicious:).

    ReplyDelete
  14. We usually stuff zucchinis with ground meat and make an avgolemono sauce on top. Your cucumbers look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cucumbers, but in a million years I never would have thought to stuff them. I will have to give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll join the group and say I've never hear of stuffed cucumbers but I love the idea! They look delicious, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never heard of stuffed cucumbers! So obviously I haven't had them, either. But that will change. :-) This is really inspired -- great recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good afternoon Pam.....I enjoy your recipes on FB.....I've not had time to blog lately, but I have been keeping up with you on FB. This is a new one for me...Makes me wander who came up with the idea of stuffing cucumbers. I'll tell you though....it sure looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Pam, this looks very tasty, I never would of thought to stuff cucumbers. Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stuffed cucumbers? My brain just exploded. What a clever idea to learn from your mother-in-law. I can't wait to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a neat thing. I've only used them cold but very cool on the hot idea. I could see this working with zukes, too.

    Neato.

    ReplyDelete

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- Dan Piraro

***************************************************************************
Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam

POPULAR POSTS ON THIS BLOG


“Mámá was fond of saying that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels—an aphorism I was pretty sure she'd cribbed from the thinspiration sites she subscribed to online—but I believed that anyone who said such things had never tasted chili-cheese fries with melted cheddar, fresh ground beef, and Tapatio sauce.”

~ Nenia Campbell


DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews