Shrimp Fra Diavolo


To Italians, it’s Shrimp Fra Diabolo, “Brother Devil,” due to the heat from red pepper flakes.  Simply put, it’s spicy shrimp with onions and tomatoes in a garlic wine sauce.

Platedshrimp
No rich creamy oily heavy sauce here; this sauce is light, but a little fiery.  
After reading comments about Giada De Laurentiis’ recipe, I adapted it a little and kicked it up a notch with Old Bay Seasoning, an extra teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and a sprinkling of sugar to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes.  Don't know why I just can’t leave a recipe alone…

Shrimpinpans
Spicy is a good thing ~ this little dish delivers with a bang.  

And, Woo Hoo!  Bill is liking spicy more and more.  Most people serve this over pasta, I opted for rice; polenta would be delicious too.  

This is a great shrimp dish that’s easy to make for a quick meal after a busy day, that’s good enough for company too.

I say it’s “molto delizioso!”

Shrimp Fra Diavolo
Adapted

Ingredients:

1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 teaspoon salt, plus additional as needed
2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons Old Bay Garlic and Herb Seasoning
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 large onion, sliced
1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup dry white wine
3 garlic cloves, chopped
¼ teaspoon dried oregano flakes
3 tablespoons chopped parsley

Method:

Toss shrimp in a medium bowl with 1 teaspoon salt, red pepper flakes and Old Bay Seasoning.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add shrimp and sauté for a minute, toss and continue cooking until just cooked through, about 1-2 minutes.
Transfer shrimp to a large plate, set aside.
Add remaining oil to skillet.
Add onion, sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes with their juice, sugar, wine, garlic and oregano.
Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
Return shrimp and any accumulated juice to the tomato mixture, and cook for a minute  so the flavors meld together.
Stir in parsley, season with more salt, to taste.
4 servings

Bon Appetito!



 

Comments

  1. Pam, Shrimp Fra Diavolo is one of my favorite Italian dishes... Unfortunately, the one restaurant that made a great version of this in our area closed up. Might have to try it at home! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! I just hate it when a fave restaurant with good dishes closes. Hope you give this a try, it's easy! Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  2. Look really amazing Pam! I( love shrimp and this look georgeous!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! I've only started eating shrimp several years, and wish it hadn't taken so long. This is a great way to enjoy it. Take care

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Nana, great minds think alike!

      Delete
  4. Hi Pam,
    Love this dish, have made it many times. I like your version, have to try yours. Looks so delicious...Thanks for sharing...Enjoy your weekend!
    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dottie, I bet your version is really good since you cook so many great Italian dishes! Take care and have a fun weekend! :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm making shrimp tonight - but not this one - yet. It was my mother's favorite. Nice reminder to put it back in rotation. It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia! This one will be in my rotation now, it's easy and good.

      Delete
  6. Hi Pam;
    Being Italian , Shrimp Fra Diavolo is one of my family's favorite ... I will make this dish when I return .. it has a lighter version , that mean more healthy . Thanks for sharing . Nee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nee! Lucky you, bet there were lots of good dishes when you were growing up and now too! Hope you like this version. Take care

      Delete
  7. This shrimp sounds great! I ran out of ideas to prepare shrimp :) I guess I will just try this one. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Medeja! This has a lot of heat but that can always be changed. It's delicious!

      Delete
  8. Hi Pam, this sounds absolutely delicious! I'd love to have a big bowl of rice to go with it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would gladly try this brother devil dish - I like chilli and prawns, so this is a marriage made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spicy shrimp is my fave and this dish looks fab! Love that you served it over rice, too. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Give me spicy any day! This is one preparation that I can't believe I haven't tried yet. It looks wonderful, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I could just reach in and grab a bit, or two, or three, or maybe a bowl full ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

_________________________

"We plan, we toil, we suffer – in the hope of what? A camel-load of idol’s eyes? The title deeds of Radio City? The empire of Asia? A trip to the moon? No, no, no, no. Simply to wake just in time to smell coffee and bacon and eggs."
~ J.B. Priestly
_________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Popular Posts