Chicken Baked w/Broccoli, The Southern Living Way



It will be 35 years this August that I’ve lived in the Midwest, but my heart is also in the South, where I grew up.

And that’s where Southern Living enters the picture.  I read about a 1981 cookbook, Southern Living Cookbook for Two here (unfortunately I can’t find the exact post on Nellie’s blog), and knew it meant a visit to Amazon was in order ~ as this cookbook addict hasn’t meant a cookbook, particularly from Southern Living, that she didn’t like. 

I write all over my cookbooks, do you?


It’s a great cookbook with many more recipes I’ll be trying.  And, incidentally, after all these years, I still have a subscription to Southern Living magazine.

As to the recipe, this is one of the most tender, delicious chicken dishes I have ever made, with Bill concurring!  The winning combination of chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, and cheese turns this casserole into a mouthwatering dish.  I slightly adapted the recipe by adding mushrooms and less butter.


Headed to the oven

It’s a good filling meal for this time of year, that’s simple and only needs a green salad to round out the dinner.  Here’s hoping you like it also, should you make it!



Chicken Baked w/Broccoli

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 (8-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 (10-ounce) package frozen broccoli florets
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ cup milk
½ cup (2-ounces) shredded Cheddar Cheese
½ teaspoon coarse-ground pepper
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
Hungarian Paprika

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place chicken in a 2-quart baking dish, and drizzle with butter.
Spread mushrooms over top.
Bake for 40 minutes.
Cook broccoli according to package directions, al dente; drain.
Arrange around chicken breasts.
Combine soup, milk, cheese and pepper.
Pour over chicken and broccoli.
Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and paprika.
Bake an additional 20 minutes.


ENJOY!





17 comments:

  1. i'm pretty sure i need this cookbook for me and my boo, and i'm pretty sure i need this dish for supper tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I bet you do need it, it's a good one!

      Delete
  2. Pam, My wife would love this dish but I'm not a mushroom fan. Perhaps we could modify it a bit with mushrooms on one side of dish for her and use Cream of Celery Soup instead of Mushroom soup. Chicken, broccoli and cheese...all good! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, that would work fine; I've done similar since we have a non-mushroom fan in this family also. !ake care.

      Delete
  3. Hi Pam,
    Great recipe and that cookbook looks really interesting, even if you didn't grow up in the south like me. I love the chicken with the broccoli, and the mushrooms....The cheddar cheese just adds that extra special taste..Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe. Have a great week...
    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dottie, it's and oldie but goodie! And the chicken is delicious. Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Hi Pam, this looks so easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasline, it is! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a very tasty and easy meal Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dish Pam!
    I love how you cook!
    All look delicious always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds very similar to the Chicken Divan recipe which was the very first dish I made for my husband while we were dating :) I think it also had mayo in it, though. I love Southern Living and subscribe too - even though I never lived nor grew up in the south. Great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of a dish my mother used to make when I was growing up. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of great recipes from the South....This one looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Southern dishes. And I love this -- so much flavor in one little dish. But I can never resist cheddar cheese. ;-) Good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a GRIT too - girl raised in the south. This recipe looks and sounds very southern and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How interesting Pam that you are from the South and then moved to the Midwest and I am just the opposite: having been raised in the Midwest (Iowa) and now living in the South. So true that Southern Living has some of the best recipes around! I think I have every single one of their annual recipe books and each time I read them, I always find something as delicious as this chicken broccoli recipe that you have shared here!
    xo
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- Dan Piraro

***************************************************************************
Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam

POPULAR POSTS ON THIS BLOG


“Mámá was fond of saying that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels—an aphorism I was pretty sure she'd cribbed from the thinspiration sites she subscribed to online—but I believed that anyone who said such things had never tasted chili-cheese fries with melted cheddar, fresh ground beef, and Tapatio sauce.”

~ Nenia Campbell


DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews