Baked Midwest Goulash



You all probably know that traditional goulash originates in Hungary, and is closer to beef stew; while the American version of goulash is filled with macaroni and browned, ground beef.



Besides meat and pasta, here in the Midwest, goulash is packed with mushrooms, bell peppers, diced tomatoes with shredded cheese spread over the top before baking. 




Voila!


This recipe makes a lot; it fills two 2½-quart casseroles.  There’s plenty for company, or freeze one to bake on a day when you don’t feel like being in the kitchen for long, preparing dinner!

It’s still chilly here with howling winds the last few days; even a little snow yesterday, so this is the perfect comfort meal for that sort of weather!

Baked Midwest Goulash

Ingredients:

2½ pounds ground round beef
1 pound elbow macaroni 
Olive oil
½ each of green, orange and yellow pepper, diced
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ pound sliced mushrooms
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
3 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
Seasoned salt and seasoned pepper, to taste
Shredded cheddar or mozzarella, optional for garnish
Cooking spray

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook macaroni according to package directions, al dente; rinse and drain well.
In a large skillet, sauté the onions, peppers, garlic and mushrooms, in a little olive oil, until tender, and transfer to a large bowl.
In the same skillet, brown ground beef and chop into bite-size chunks.
Transfer meat to bowl with mushrooms, etc.
Add soy sauce, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes to mixture and combine well.
Season with salt and pepper.
Coat casseroles or large baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Transfer meat mixture to baking dish.
Bake, covered, for 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Uncover and scatter cheese over top and bake another 15 minutes, if desired.

Serves 8 to 10

ENJOY!






31 comments:

  1. Hi Pam,
    Your goulash looks delicious!
    I love goulash! I've eaten it once and really liked it a lot.
    Yes, a comforting food for your cold weather!
    Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! We need food like this when it's cold here. :-)

      Delete
  2. Pam, Goulash was a staple for us when I was growing up in Michigan. My mother did have to modify/adapt a recipe to fit my likes and dislikes though. I don't eat bell peppers or mushrooms. Mushrooms are something my wife misses and orders frequently when we go out to eat. We can buy a big bag of 'irregular' (not perfect looking) mushrooms at a Monterrey Mushroom facility nearby for only $5.00...and I'll grill them for her. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, Michigan is one beautiful state! That's sweet of you with grilling the mushrooms for your wife. We eat a lot of mushrooms here and bell peppers too, and I wish I could buy a big bad of them at that price! Have a good day!

      Delete
  3. I enjoy a good goulash. It has been years since I made it. I plan on changing that by making this great recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geraldine! I hope you like it, should you make it!

      Delete
  4. My husband's grandmother used to make something very similar but I think the most exotic vegetable she used was celery :) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Celery would be great!

      Delete
  5. Years ... it has been years since I had a good goulash. Thanks for posting this! I'll have dreams about it. Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, Goulash...glad I read this post just now. Goulash sounds perfect for dinner tonight. We've been having the same howling winds and colder temps this week. Gotta go thaw some ground beef. Thanks for sharing. Warm Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BettyJean, hope you like it if you make it! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. This is not goulash to me, but it does look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being an Iowa girl, I'm quite familiar with goulash like this! I used to make it for Bill when we were newlyweds---just threw stuff together and we loved it. I like the look of your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! That about says it all, throw it together! :-)

      Delete
  9. Delicious! I have a good friend who loves to make goulash for her family. I am going to share your recipe with her.

    btw, I love goulash too.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Velva, thanks and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. Yes mam.....this goulash looks totally warm and tasty! I made goulash this past week, however, it does not compare to this bubbly, cheesy bowl of goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shug! I bet your version was delicious!!!

      Delete
  11. I just learned a new thing here...I did not that there is an American goulash...looks great...I love one pot meal. Thanks for the recipe Pam!
    Enjoy the rest of your week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juliana! A one pot meal makes life so nice and easy. Take care.

      Delete
  12. Yummy, but I think I actually would prefer Hungarian version :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Medeja! I like that version too!

      Delete
  13. A great balance of carbs and protein and not to mention it's comforting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! That's a great way of describing it!

      Delete
  14. Tis looks delicious - the perfect hearty meal for a cold night.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always loved this dish and yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no! You're still having snow? Then you definitely need a warm casserole like this one. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the midwest version is definitely more my style, even though i'm an east-coast gal!

    ReplyDelete

🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒

The smells of slow cooking spread around the house and impart a unique warmth matched only by the flavour of the food.
~ Yotam Ottolenghi

🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam

🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒 🍒





Christmas cookies and happy hearts ~

that is the way

the holiday starts!




DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews