Savory Sea Salt and Pepper Biscuits



Bill and I were reminiscing about these fluffy warm crisp biscuits for a couple of days after eating them.  That’s how good they are!




I’ve made many a biscuit over the years, and this is definitely one of the best! 

It’s an Ina Garten recipe from her Make it Ahead cookbook.  In her words, “Lee Bailey was a great cookbook author and host.  He often served baking powder biscuits with dinner but I also love them for breakfast with scrambled eggs.  This is a twist on Lee’s original recipe; I’ve added flaked sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper.”

Most of the time, I follow the recipe exactly ~ but, when I don’t have half-and-half on hand, I swap one-third cup light sour cream plus 7-8 tablespoons of low-fat milk for the half-and-half, making a lighter biscuit.

I’ve found that sour cream is a great binder when making cornbread or biscuits as it minimizes crumbly baked goods.  Plus, the sour cream imparts richness and a slight tang.









Flaked sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper sprinkled over the top sends these biscuits over the edge…

I can see them sandwiching a fried egg for breakfast!


Salt & Pepper Biscuits

Ingredients: 

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons (¾ stick) cold butter, diced
2/3 cup cold half-and-half
1 extra-large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon half-and-half, for egg wash
Maldon flaked sea salt
Coarsely ground black pepper 

Method:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Place four, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse to combine.
Add butter, breaking up the pieces as you put them in.
Pulse mixer about 10 times, until butter is size of large peas.
With the mixer running, pour the half-and-half down the feed tube and pulse just until mixture starts to come together.
Dump dough onto floured board and quickly knead into a ball.
Roll dough out ½” thick with a floured rolling pin.  (You should see bits of butter in the dough.)
Cut out biscuits with a 2½” round biscuit cutter and place on baking sheet.
Brush top with egg wash, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, until biscuits are browned and baked through.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 to 10 biscuits


ENJOY!






Comments

  1. Hi Pam,
    These biscuits must be delicious. I love a good warm biscuits to add to a meal or like you said to have with an egg for breakfast. I never had them with the sour cream and the sea salt. Very different, but I like the idea that they are savory. Thanks for sharing..I am putting this recipe on my to make list! Enjoy your day....
    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dottie! They're perfect for a fried egg I'm thinking! Take care

      Delete
  2. Rich and Good. All of the Best ingredients...Egg, half and half, my favorite (black pepper) and of course flour. AND...the food processor does most of the work for you!! Just can't beat a delicious biscuit.
    Y'all stay WARM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all that good stuff. Biscuits rule and we need them for fuel! :-) Thanks, Shug!

      Delete
  3. Wow they do sound good and to our taste I am sure as I prefer no to have sweet biscuits. The salt and pepper touch really must add something. Will certainly give these a try, thanks. Hope your week is a good one, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. These biscuits not only look heavenly, Pam. They sound delicious! I once had a cookbook by Lee Bailey. I believe it was a Southern cookbook. Gee, I wonder what happened to it? It was a great book. Of course, I'm a huge Ina fan too.

    I can see why you and your husband would be swooning over these. I sure wish I had one right now as I have a hot cup of tea by my side.

    Thank you so much for sharing Pam...

    P.S. Got any meatball recipes you wanna share? See my latest post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, thanks! I have one of his cookbooks and have to look for it now. If you type in "meatballs" in the search box on the right side bar below the cup of coffee, you will see my meatball recipes. Hope one of them works for you!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I will try the salt and pepper idea with my dairy-free ones. Thanks for the idea. I love this combo but never thought about it for a biscuit, so thanks bunches.

      Delete
  6. Hi Pam , any biscuit that looks that good has to be delicious . The kosher salt and black pepper put everything in order . Love to have a biscuit or two with an egg and I will also add a slice of smoked bacon . Thanks for sharing :) Nee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nee, you're right, with smoked bacon would be perfect! Take care.

      Delete
  7. Yum! I've told my husband that I will bake biscuits if there is snow in the morning!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nellie, these are great and if you try them, I hope you like them too! :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh I can see these biscuits with a sausage patty, egg and cheese for MY breakfast. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love a savory biscuit. These look heavenly. I really love your swap with the sour cream - best idea ever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia! They are sooo good!

      Delete
  10. Pam, I love good biscuits and these look great! They have a lot going for them...It's hard to find great bread around here...unlike in Chicagoland...so making your own is a great solution. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Pam, I like using sour cream too. It does make things nice and moist and gives it some added richness.
    I just love biscuits and the salt and pepper topping is a nice extra. These would not last long on the table in my house!!
    I hope that you are keeping warm and cozy. The weather is just getting silly now! more snow on the way tonight.
    xoxox Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love biscuits with soup- these would be perfect! I love pepper in mine, but I've never thought of sprinkling salt on them too. I've already got a pot of soup cooling on the porch. No school tomorrow because of the snow, so I'll have plenty of time to make these to go with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh nice.. if you don't forget them as soon as you finish them means they are good :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love savory biscuits because I can eat them with practically all my meals instead of bread! They are far more interesting! They look perfect Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adored Lee Bailey's style and was so glad Ina wrote about him in her latest book. So happy to see these biscuits with sea salt and black pepper. What a feast these would be for breakfast.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a good biscuit, and these sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous biscuits---perfect for any time of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great addition to a Winter meal!

    Stay warm!!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Pam, love these biscuits, I bet these would be wonderful with a nice fried egg on top.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can stop laughing at your post...nothing personal...somehow I was craving for biscuit and here you are with a recipe for a fluffy and warm biscuit...how can I resist? They look great Pam...if only I could reach for one...thanks for the recipe...
    Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. They sound delicious Pam and now I want some biscuits and gravy even more.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what terrific biscuits! Sandwiching a fried eggs sounds like a great plan. Maybe with a thin slice of sausage too? Really nice -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. there's an art to biscuit making, and it seems like you've been blessed with that talent! these look delicious, even by themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the tips, these look amazing, no wonder why you were reminiscing about them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the tips, these look amazing, no wonder why you were reminiscing about them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________