Chicken Mushroom Hotdish



I seldom rave about a recipe, but this is one recipe to rave about!

A “hotdish” is the colloquial term for a casserole in some parts of the Midwest.  It’s ideal comfort food ~ warm and wholesome, and suited to feed a crowd.  



For those of you familiar with the casseroles of years ago, the ones with an abundance of canned cream of mushroom or celery soup, this version will be a revelation.  The recipe is from Martha Stewart’s Martha’s American Food cookbook, one of my favorite cookbooks, that’s filled with treasured dishes, from coast to coast.

In cooking the hotdish, first off, I browned the chicken, transferred it to a plate, then, with the drippings left in the skillet, sautéed the cremini mushrooms, with green onions (Martha used leeks) and diced celery, until golden.  Finally, the sauce ingredients of flour, sherry, milk and chicken stock, were added to the mushroom mixture and simmered until thickened.  

Dark brown, full-flavored cremini mushrooms, ummm, mmm!

But, here’s what is so special and delicious about this hotdish:  the chicken pieces and mushroom sauce are layered in the baking dish, on top of overlapping triangles of dense bread, with the bread absorbing some of the delectable sauce during baking. 


Ready for the oven

The finished dish results in succulent layers of flavor!

As I said in the beginning, this is truly a delicious hotdish, a dish to rave about!

Just imagine, if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers…


Chicken Mushroom Hotdish
Adapted

Ingredients:

2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Coarse salt and fresh pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 green onions, sliced    
1 celery stalk, cut into ½” dice
10 ounces, cremini mushrooms, halved if large
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons dry sherry
2¼ cups low-sodium chicken stalk
¾ cup milk
8 slices dense bread, cut into triangles*
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pat dry chicken with paper towels and season both sides with salt and pepper.
In a nonstick sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat and add chicken.
Sauté until golden brown on bottom, 3-4 minutes.
Turn over chicken, reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes more.
Transfer to a plate.
Heat remaining oil in pan and add onions, celery and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 8-10 minutes.
Stir in flour and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
Add sherry, stock and milk; cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange bread on bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish, overlapping slices slightly.
Spoon half of the vegetables and sauce over bread.
Slice chicken crosswise, ½” thick, and arrange on bread.
Top with any accumulated juices from the chicken.
Spread remaining vegetables and sauce over chicken.
Sprinkle with Parmesan and parsley.
Bake until golden brown and bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
*I used Pepperidge Farm original, you might want dense multigrain.


ENJOY!!!  IT’S DELCIOUS!







Comments

  1. I've always considered casseroles comfort food. Why don't we serve them more often--even to guests. This one certainly sounds worthy of a special event. The sauce alone is making my mouth water!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Bonnie. I've wondered that too. This would be perfect for company!

      Delete
  2. Pam, My better half would love this comfort casserole! I'd especially like the sauce and bread... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BDD, that sauce over bread is to die for. :-) Take care.

      Delete
  3. Hi Pam,
    A true classic...a comfort food that feeds the soul. Love this dish and your ingredients are terrific. Martha Stewart’s "Martha’s American Food" cookbook, is really a wonderful book of foods that are yummy! Thanks for sharing...Have a good week...
    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dottie, thanks. nothing much beats comfort food in the winter time, for me! Have a good week!

      Delete
  4. If I could just reach in and have a taste ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy, I've been looking for that app! :-)

      Delete
  5. absolutely delicious Pam and Im hungry just in time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria, I have to make this again soon, it is that good!

      Delete
  6. How different! One of our daughters..mushrooms are one of her favorite food groups:) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monique, it is different and good. I'm in the same boat as your daughter!

      Delete
  7. Hi Pam , what a delight dish , it says come and get me . Perfect for this weather . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nee, yes. It is a dish to warm you up!

      Delete
  8. Interesting recipe and if you are raving about it, I know it has to be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks. It's definitely good and I'm still raving about it.

      Delete
  9. I doubt you'd have leftovers of this one! Better to make two- one to pass and one to keep at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHF, I like the way you think, two would be perfect!

      Delete
  10. Dense and delicious says it all. I'm not familiar with the word hotdish, but it sounds like comfort food at its finest.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, I had never heard of hotdish until living here. It's a good thing, hotdish!

      Delete
  11. I've never heard of hotdish before, but I can see why it's so popular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, this hotdish is so full of good tastes, it's great, rich and delicious!

      Delete
  12. Looks delicious Pam and my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks great and I much rather being eating what you have for dinner than my diet salad! WOW !

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful casserole! So glad there's no creamed soup involved!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! No cream of soup here.

      Delete
  15. Never have heard the expression hot dish....guess I've been in florida too long!
    This looks yummy, Pam. Be great over noodles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, it would, never thought of the noodles!

      Delete
  16. This is like a savoury bread pudding with mushroom gravy! I love it, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You make this sound SO good! it looks SO good too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. BTW..hotdish is a pretty common term in Mn. too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think maybe it originated there.

      Delete
  19. Wow, this looks so good! A hot dish for a cold day. ;-) Really perfect for this time of the year -- warming, comforting, filling. And most of all, awfully tasty. Good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! That sauce is what makes it really good!

      Delete
  20. This is not the kind of casserole I remember! The recipe sounds truly delicious, Pam, and your photos do it justice. I will look forward to trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tomorrow!!!! I am making this tomorrow! Paul will love this. : )
    Have a great thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, hope you give it a try then.

      Delete
  22. Dear Pam, That sounds like a delicious dish. The kind that warms the soul in this cold weather with 2 more snowstorms on the way!! xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, thank you! Hope all is well your way.

      Delete
  23. The term "hotdish" is perfect for a casserole - and this one looks oh so good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Pam, this is my kind of meal, love this "hotdish".

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is one delicious looking dish! Chicken, mushroom and all that lovely sauce, looks so, so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce, Love those mushrooms in it!

      Delete
  26. if you asked me to name my least favorite food, i'd be forced to say mushrooms--they taste like dirt to me and i can't stand the texture either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Grace! There are people in my family who would agree with you 100%! I've loved them since I was a little kid. Whatever floats your boat!

      Delete
  27. This looks amazing - can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thanks! We love it and I hope you do, should you make it!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  28. Chicken & Stuffing all in one! Looks yummy, Pam.
    And- I'm with you about Spring & using the grill! :)

    (I'm having a problem posting today.)
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! Up to 12" snow on way here. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  29. I know what I am having for dinner on Monday:). Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Geraldine! I hope you like it also!

      Delete
  30. Mmmm, I'm a mushroom lover and that looks Delish! We had 16 inches of snow on Sunday. Warm Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty Jean! Too much snow! Warm hugs your way too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________