Mom's Oyster "Dressing" Last Thanksgiving



Hands down, this is the favorite dish on our Thanksgiving table!


Mom always called it Oyster Dressing and we still do ~ you may remember this recipe from years past, if you’re a follower here.


It’s perfect:  rich, delicious and succulent.  It’s simply layers of rich butter crackers, lots of butter, half and half, seasonings and oysters.  Don’t crush the crackers to crumbs; break them up with a light touch. Use less crackers for a crisper dish.

Just "do what I say and not as I did" last Thanksgiving!  I made the dish, and baked it, but when I pulled it out of the oven, it looked very strange.  It was totally dry and crisp and hard as a rock.  Then it dawned on me, I had forgotten to add the half and half. 

That’s the Thanksgiving I was nearly run out of town…


Mom’s Oyster Dressing

Ingredients:

2 pints shucked oysters, reserving liquor
1 stick butter
2 sleeves Club Crackers*
¾ to 1 cup half and half
Salt and pepper, to taste


Method:

Butter a 9” x 13” baking dish liberally.
Crumble crackers into chunks.
Spread half of the crackers in the baking dish.
Top with one pint of oysters.
Dot with ½ stick butter.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Repeat layers.
Pour reserved oyster liquor over top.
Pour half and half over all, just to top of layers, do not cover completely.
Bake in 375 degree oven till bubbly and top is brown, about 30-45 minutes.
*Use less crackers for a crisper dish


It's Delectable!

ENJOY!





Comments

  1. OK, so I MUST try this. You see many in my family enjoy oyster dressing, so I make it each year. Basically adding oysters to any bread stuffing that did not fit in the bird. Since I don't care for oysters, I have never eaten from that bowl of dressing.....however I am told each year how wonderful it is. But it would be nice to have a special way to showcase the oysters for those that love them, I think this is the year! Thank you. PS glad you are back to posting good food recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful side dish. Really original.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother made oyster stew every Thanksgiving eve and we loved it!! I've never had oyster dressing and it sounds delicious. I think I'd be tempted to "run you out of town" if you messed it up!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your upcoming holiday, Pam. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just heard about oyster stuffing, have always shunned away from them but this sounds and looks too good to pass up! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to treat your family to a "family fave", Pam. They'll always chuckle about last year's story. :)
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pam . oyster dressing , we make the dressing for both Thanksgiving and Christmas .
    Never had it this way , but know it's deliciously good .
    Thanks for the well wishing Nee :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you can believe it, I've never had oyster dressing. Yours looks divine.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dressing sounds delicious! I'd definitely love to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love oysters, and I know I'd love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam, Your oyster dressing looks great...but you couldn't pay me to eat an oyster! I'm a sausage based dressing guy but hey, different strokes for different folks... Have a great, and hopefully snow free, Thanksgiving! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this looks so yummy. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing, Pam.
    And you r right abt my vacation destination .. Europe but not Switzerland. Gg to Italy, Austria n Germany. We r gg to the UK too 😃😃😃

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pam,
    This looks delicious! We love oyster, but have never tried them this way before! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha :) We've all left something out of a recipe at one time or another and hectic holidays are notorious for that. My MIL left the giblets in the turkey once :)

    What a delicious dressing! I've never had it but I know many people love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my boyfriend loves his oysters, and i'm sure he's never had anything like this! worth a try, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My parents love a good oyster dressing on their Thanksgiving table. Thanks for sharing. I am going to forward your recipe to my parents.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello there,
    Great foods!! Thank you so much for sharing these, we are truly inspired!!! We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in www.mytaste.com/ with over 6 million users worldwide... Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and deserves to be included on the Top list!!

    We will feature your blog and create shout outs about your recipes to our fan pages.
    MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility from the web and share/save foods and recipes. Some of them receive at least 10,000 visits from us on a weekly basis.

    If you’d like to be featured, expand your readership and JOIN TOP FOOD BLOGS, here's the link where you can add your blog to the list>> http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs (Joining won't cost you any cents)
    Kind regards
    -Ricky

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grandmother used to make two dressing---the traditional kind and then a small pan of oyster dressing form Granddad. She used canned oysters so we weren't big fans. I would like to try your family recipe (especially now that I have decided I like oysters.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________