Spicy Grilled Catfish



We don’t need a holiday to celebrate catfish; nevertheless, we gave a nod to National Catfish Day yesterday anyway, with Bill grilling the mild, sweet fish for dinner!  




President Ronald Regan declared June 25th National Catfish Day in 1987, to recognize and bring awareness to the catfish farming industry.  Some may turn their nose up at catfish, we disagree ~ it’s close to the top of our favorites list. 



Catfish is a versatile fish that holds up well, regardless of the cooking method.  I buy farm-raised catfish at the market, but a wild catfish would be even more flavorful; however, there’s no noodling here by us.



There are arguments over whether to dredge catfish in flour or cornmeal, or not at all, that’s a non-issue here.  It’s usually cornmeal all the way to provide that gritty crunch ~ almost like it’s fried!



Next, there’s the seasoning ~ plenty of spices, whether hot or not.



Then, my favorite way to cook catfish: over a hot grill.  That means a delicious grilled flavorful catfish, that’s healthy too, with no extra fat.



It’s a scrumptious fish, and I hope you grill it!





Spicy Grilled Catfish



Ingredients:



1 cup cornmeal

1 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon seasoned pepper

1 teaspoon celery seed

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon paprika

Dash cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon parsley flakes

4 catfish fillets



Method:



Combine all ingredients, except catfish on a plate.

One at a time, dredge catfish is cornmeal mixture.

Preheat grill to medium and cook for 5 minutes per side, depending upon thickness.





ENJOY!





Comments

  1. Pam, Spicy is good by me! We both like catfish and mac 'n cheese is always a great side. Thanks for the recipe! If you ever decide to leave the artic/Chicago area, you might want to look at Tellico Village in Tennessee. There may be more people from Illinois living around Tellico Lake than from any other state. Prices are very reasonable, taxes are low, the weather is much better but we still have season and the life style is as relaxing or not as you might want. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spicy Grilled Catfish is sounding mighty good to me, Pam. I agree with Big Daddy Dave, Mac N' Cheese is a great side!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Pam...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pam, That just looks sooooo good!! I would love it!
    Wish you lived closer. Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spicy sounds wonderful with catfish. I've never tried grilling it, but it what a great idea.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you believe I've never had catfish?!? This sounds like a very tasty way to prepare it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Confession pam... I have never cooked or ate catfish. It always looks so good.. and I really want to try it, I just haven't. I think that tomorrow I will make a special trip and buy myself a cut of catfish. I love fish.. but I am the only one in my house that eats it. We are taking the boat out tomorrow and I always crave seafood after a long day on the bay. I will try your recipe. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "We don’t need a holiday to celebrate catfish" - I sure agree with this as I am a fan of catfish - even had it for breakfast on our last RV trip. I did not realize it had it's own day though. I've never grilled it and I've never tried grilling any breaded fish so I'm glad to know it works and will try it. Yours looks and sounds delicious Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea that catfish was also farmed, I just thought that was in rivers and lakes only!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catfish has always been a favorite of mine... we used to have it a lot when I was a kid.. it's such a midwest thing. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pam,
    Your catfish looks delicious! Yums!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- from a cartoon by Dan Piraro
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________